How about an auto-save feature every 20 minutes or so...

WayneXWayneX Posts: 49
edited September 2020 in Product Suggestions
How about adding a Daz3d studio render auto image save feature every 10-20 minutes in the Daz3d studio software? They can be name saved incrementally too to prevent an active software overwrite issue? Or is there a plugin somewhere which already permits such a feature... Either way. I'd love to try 'Scene Optimizer' again... That's also a brilliant idea.. Now 'scene optimizer' is a script, and I feel you can accomplish the same thing with a render Auto-save feature...
Post edited by WayneX on

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Such a brilliant idea that it will grind your computer to a standstill for ten minutes, every ten to twenty minutes. You will just love this feature once it is here.

• Ascania said:

Such a brilliant idea that it will grind your computer to a standstill for ten minutes, every ten to twenty minutes. You will just love this feature once it is here.

Whoa! Will it really? I never realized all that went into saving an image considering it seems so instant upon render completion... Would such an outcome inevitably happen with such an implementation?
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited September 2020

I don't understand what it does?  You want to autosave the image while its rendering?  Doesn't Daz Studio already save a .jpg file to the temp directory while its rendering?

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Dave230 said:

I don't understand what it does?  You want to autosave the image while its rendering?  Doesn't Daz Studio already save a .jpg file to the temp directory while its rendering?

Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about... And does it?! I wasn't aware of that... Is it full quality...?

Look here while rendering:
    C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\RenderAlbumTmp\

Final output goes here:
    C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\

• Dave230 said:

Look here while rendering:
    C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\RenderAlbumTmp\

Final output goes here:
    C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\

Whoa! Oh yeah, it technically does for a lot of images... Nice! A lot of them seem to be of high quality too... I think you may have answered my question... Thank you, sir.

Files written to temp directory are in jpg format only, so it loses background transparency.  Maybe it's just for preview purposes.

• Dave230 said:

Files written to temp directory are in jpg format only, so it loses background transparency.  Maybe it's just for preview purposes.

True... Hmmm, Still looks good when the render is close to completion though... Thanks anyway for pointing out this feature buddy! I had no idea this was active in Daz Studio... :) 

• why  ? just save it every 1o minutes yourself

• efron_24 said:

why  ? just save it every 1o minutes yourself

yes

D/S cannot do 2 things at once. If it is trying to auto-save while one has set it to render or do anything else, it would likely have a seizure or crash.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    efron_24 said:

yes

D/S cannot do 2 things at once. If it is trying to auto-save while one has set it to render or do anything else, it would likely have a seizure or crash.

You can cancel and resume.  Whenever you cancel, DS saves the current render to r.jpg in AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render, and any canvases, if enabled, to AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r_canvases.

• What I'd like is the ability to set a time for autosave. I'm a slow worker, so I'd set it at about once every 20 minutes, and obviously not during rendering. Just set it, and even if you have  a crash you've lost at most 20 minutes worth of work, probably not too much unless you're a really fast working pro. Hobbyists like me probably wouldn't lose too much and it would save us having to reconstruct everything if we forgot to save on our own.

Bob

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

I have no interest or need for an auto-save feature. if it's ever included I pray it's an option only so I can disable it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2020

just a dialogue do you want to save your scene before you render? might help the scatterbrained 

like the one you get trying to render image series to file if some already there

likewise closing a render window

a bigger warning you have not saved your render are you sure you want to close this window?

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ^+1 for the 'do you want to save before rendering?' option

At least for the 'closing render window without saving' issue, we can use 'File>Save Last Render'

• Sevrin said:
    efron_24 said:

yes

You can cancel and resume.  Whenever you cancel, DS saves the current render to r.jpg in AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render, and any canvases, if enabled, to AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r_canvases.

Yes - when we are controlling the timing of the save ;-) An auto-save would be an automatic thing - and crashes/seizures AFAIK negate any auto-saved renders.

• Ascania said:

Ten minutes...? What the heck are you working on, an original Kindle Fire? An Etch-a-sketch?

Good grief - it's not a complicated subject. Most every program in the creative world does it, and most - at least in this century - do it seamlessly without you even noticing.  Generally, A: you can set the interval, or set it as "none" for that one guy above who's decided that losing his right to lose data is the hill he most wants to die on. B: Many of the more process intensive ones do it so that you get a warning - "autosave in 30 seconds" so you can either stop doing some hyper sensitive thing, or hit a key and tell it to skip this one, and C: I've never had ANY program decide it had to do an auto-save in the middle of a render, so that can't be that damned hard to program around. 

• They would find a way lol ...

• And programs can be multi-threaded, so they can make a simulation of doing more than one thing at a time even on single core machines. On multi-core machines the machine really does do more than one thing at time. In the programming suite I use, putting in multiple threads has been possible since 1997 at least, and synchronisation of data in memory access between threads was possible from that date, so an auto-save in a separate timer triggered thread has been possible for at least that long. I can understand the user not wanting to stop the machine for a long save, but with a separate thread doing it, it's not necessary to interrupt the machine's main operation.
  • ebonartgalleryebonartgallery Posts: 252
    edited January 2022

In a related thing, more than the ten or so levels of Undo would be great as well. 

Post edited by ebonartgallery on
  • ebonartgallery said:

In a related thing, more than the ten or so levels of Undo would be great as well. 

As far as I know the number of undos depends on what is being made undoable - the more memory-intensive actions, the fewer undo steps.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

richardandtracy said:

And programs can be multi-threaded, so they can make a simulation of doing more than one thing at a time even on single core machines. On multi-core machines the machine really does do more than one thing at time. In the programming suite I use, putting in multiple threads has been possible since 1997 at least, and synchronisation of data in memory access between threads was possible from that date, so an auto-save in a separate timer triggered thread has been possible for at least that long. I can understand the user not wanting to stop the machine for a long save, but with a separate thread doing it, it's not necessary to interrupt the machine's main operation.

If autosave would be an option, no problems, but...

In the past saving has also been a touchy operation.
    If it takes half an hour to save, what would DS save if one has been changing the scene all that time.

• I agree, it can be a good question and one I have pondered myself. One approach, and the one I took in my 3D stress modeller, is to have a session file. This text file is incrementally built up, command by command, from the last save. It's a re-runable text file that echoes all commands and can repeat every command. It means that if there is a crash, you can delete the last line of the session file and get back to where you were before the crash. Does mean every command has to be capable of being entered with a text command - so, like AutoCAD, there is text entry capability, and menu commands invisibly enter the appropriate text input, with the undo and session files entering text commands directly.
  • OK this is real simple, 1. make a dialog that pops up at an interval you determine to remind you to save when not rendering. 2. make it auto save when you click render, it saves the current scene THEN starts rendering.

• I'm not sure why this is still an issue. If you save every twenty minutes in DS and it takes one minute to save, then if autosave saved every twenty minutes, it would take 1 minute to save. It doesn't come crashing to a halt any more than saving makes it crash to a halt. I work with much longer save times in other programs--I just wait for autosave to finish, knowing that waiting for the save to complete is much faster than going back and reconstructing 20 minutes of work after a crash. As has been pointed out numerous times, all other 3D programs--in fact almost all programs these days have an autosave feature and most are easily configured to save when you want it to save or not at all. There really is no cost to the user. In more sophisticated programs, you can have it save multiple copies, so you can go back to an earlier iteration, or just have a temp file that is overwritten at the next save. Some programs will auto save undo information and reload it if you set that up in preferences--in the case of a crash (and all 3D programs crash) you can still go back and undo. The one thing Poser does that I think is superior to DS is that it has configurable autosave. DS is still in the last century on this one.