About Two - 2 - or more characters in Scene

jeronimocollaresjeronimocollares Posts: 131
edited September 2020 in Unreal Discussion

Hi everyone 

I import my secound char on scene, my movie, ok, what i have now, Skeleton mesh, my SECOUND char, FEMALE G8, but in animation, appear, on icon, my FIRST char, G8 MALE. How i fix it? :) 

Post edited by jeronimocollares on

Comments

• I don't understand what you mean.

• I don't understand what you mean.

Bridge - i have a male g8 IN scene on Unreal (on map) how i can import my secound character by the bridge? I do it and this generate 3 files: skeletal mesh + animation + Physic (like need be). But my 'animation' file dont appear my character (female) just my first character (Male) 

2.jpg
    770 x 179 - 7K
  • UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited September 2020

It's not a problem if the animation doesn't show the same character that you transferred. It will usually make the first character the default thumbnail.

If you really want to change it. Double click to open the animation. In the Preview Scene Setting tab under Mesh change the Preview Mesh (Animation) to the character you want.

Click Apply to Asset. This will make you new character the thumbnail image.

Post edited by UpL8Rendering on
  • It's not a problem if the animation doesn't show the same character that you transferred. It will usually make the first character the default thumbnail.

If you really want to change it. Double click to open the animation. In the upper right under Mesh change the Preview Mesh to that of your newly imported character.

Yes, i do it :) Look like i dont need do nothing more, my char are retarget right now, with animations, etc... in that files (animations) appear just the 'thumbnail' from male (first character) this dont make diference, i think...or i supose :) Well, ty. Back to my scene and study.

• It's not a problem if the animation doesn't show the same character that you transferred. It will usually make the first character the default thumbnail.

If you really want to change it. Double click to open the animation. In the upper right under Mesh change the Preview Mesh to that of your newly imported character.

Yes, i do it :) Look like i dont need do nothing more, my char are retarget right now, with animations, etc... in that files (animations) appear just the 'thumbnail' from male (first character) this dont make diference, i think...or i supose :) Well, ty. Back to my scene and study.

Great! Have fun!

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

yeah the thing is which the pluging use's a "single skeleton" for all the characters, it don't export a new skeleton everytime you export a character it's just use a "already existing skeleton base", then every character you will have gonna have the "same skeleton" it can be a hit and a miss", because it means which any animation you use with one character will work with another, for exemple you have 2 warriors characters, you don't need to have 2 times the same animation because of the 2 characters, a single animation will  work for both.

the possible downside is when trying to "setup" diferente "poses", the famous high heels,, if you have to have hhigh heels you must have a 'separated animation for high heels and one for "flat feet", you can't use a a flat feet animation with a high heels and neither a high heels with a flat feet, you must have different versions if you plans to your character have different angles of feet, otherwise as long everyone is on "flat foot or high heels everything will be fine, otherwise will  be a lot troublesome for you to adjust animations.

• Ellessarr said:

yeah the thing is which the pluging use's a "single skeleton" for all the characters, it don't export a new skeleton everytime you export a character it's just use a "already existing skeleton base", then every character you will have gonna have the "same skeleton" it can be a hit and a miss", because it means which any animation you use with one character will work with another, for exemple you have 2 warriors characters, you don't need to have 2 times the same animation because of the 2 characters, a single animation will  work for both.

the possible downside is when trying to "setup" diferente "poses", the famous high heels,, if you have to have hhigh heels you must have a 'separated animation for high heels and one for "flat feet", you can't use a a flat feet animation with a high heels and neither a high heels with a flat feet, you must have different versions if you plans to your character have different angles of feet, otherwise as long everyone is on "flat foot or high heels everything will be fine, otherwise will  be a lot troublesome for you to adjust animations.

Yes, I'm still trying to get Daz characters into a small template project with a lot of heavy and fast support from the template developer on the Epic marketplace, but even with one single character it's much more than just a few clicks to make everything work well with an existing template. Two characters lead to even more problems and I even had two completely different projects with Daz characters mess up each others imported characters - I thought something like that was impossible since the files get copied into new and separate projects, but it's only unreal...

• Ellessarr said:

We have the famous 'copy/paste' in UE :) (i do a new copy from base skeleton and rename it). 

• I've been reading through.  I'm not sure what problem you're actually running into.  Hopefully this is some info that will help.

I put the skeleton in the plugin so that all my characters in all my projects can share animations.  If you don't set the retarget source, it can cause stretching though.  That's the second half of the doc here: http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/ ;

If you don't want to share the skeleton between projects this is supported as well.  There's a couple options.  I think the easiest is to use the plugin as a game plugin instead of an engine plugin.  Just move it out of the Engine\Plugins folder into the Plugins folder for your project.  You'll need to put a copy in each project.  You'll have to move updates manually later as well.  There's some info about Engine vs Game plugins here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/Plugins/index.html

There are also setting in the Unreal plugin under Edit->Project Settings->Daz To Unreal Settings.  Here you can set the material and skeleton asset locations.  So you can copy these assets into your project and point to them there.  I made these project settings so you can set them differently on each project.

If the shared skeleton is causing workflow issues for people, I can probably add an option so that each character gets a unique skeleton.

• I think I understand partially.  The animation asset that transfers with the character (or any animation for that skeleton) will use the default character for that skeleton when it creates the thumbnail.  You can actually change that in the animation's settings.  If you open the animation, I think it's under Preview Scene Settings -> Preview Mesh.

edited September 2020

I've been reading through.  I'm not sure what problem you're actually running into.  Hopefully this is some info that will help.

I put the skeleton in the plugin so that all my characters in all my projects can share animations.  If you don't set the retarget source, it can cause stretching though.  That's the second half of the doc here: http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/ ;

If you don't want to share the skeleton between projects this is supported as well.  There's a couple options.  I think the easiest is to use the plugin as a game plugin instead of an engine plugin.  Just move it out of the Engine\Plugins folder into the Plugins folder for your project.  You'll need to put a copy in each project.  You'll have to move updates manually later as well.  There's some info about Engine vs Game plugins here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/Plugins/index.html

There are also setting in the Unreal plugin under Edit->Project Settings->Daz To Unreal Settings.  Here you can set the material and skeleton asset locations.  So you can copy these assets into your project and point to them there.  I made these project settings so you can set them differently on each project.

If the shared skeleton is causing workflow issues for people, I can probably add an option so that each character gets a unique skeleton.

that would be good to have a option to have more "than one skeleton", because indeed i've found some weird issues when trying to use diferent "characters with the same skeleton, a alternative way would be you allow us to "choose a different skeleton" when exporting, because then we could just "copy the already existing skeleton in unreal to a new one and make the "new mesh" use this copy" instead of the original.

would be good if in the pluging setting we could get that check box option to if marked then when exporting the character it will ask if i want to choose a "diferent skeleton to use", instead of aways being the default.

for exemple i had 2 diferent G3 female characters, one in the menu option which is the tavern maid and created a "enemie" female barbarian" both are G3, the issue was i first made the tavern maid and give her a basic idle animation, she was the first added and i've added the animation to her, the issue come later, when i tried to export a new character, i sended it with the default g3 pose, then for some reason when i tried to use the "same animation" of the idle from the first g3 female, it get bugged because of the "default pose", because for the tavern character i've retargeted her using your unreal pose inside unreal but for some reason it's not working for the "second character" it's like even if they use the "same skeleton" and are supposed to have the same "pose" it don't work unless i change the pose of the character inside daz before export to unreal.

for you to make a check of this, export a character to unreal set him to have the "unreal pose for retarget(inside unreal), then retarget it to add a animation, things will work fine with this character, then later add a new character again exporting him using the "daz default pose", thn try to use the "same retargeted animation from the previous character to this one without have to "retarget again, just change the mesh and see if it will work fine or the animation will work bugged, because for it bugged the only way to make a already retargeted animation work with the second character is if him is exported in a unreal pose inside daz, if you export him using a default pose it can get bugged, later i will post more details.

Another note lol, how is coming the update of the pluging?? any news because the trelo seens to not get any "update" since sometime.

Another problem

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • SombraGamesSombraGames Posts: 16
    edited September 2020

The mesh you choose in the box will appear in all animations.
    However, if you are making a game for example, you will have to choose the mesh within the blueprint, the preview mesh has no effect on the project, it only serves at the time of development.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Hi all 

The plugin is one thing, it works well. Another few doubts I have and my limited knowledge of Unreal Engine. I am taking my fourth course, I have even 'turned nights' studying because really Unreal with Daz can be or form a 'perfect pair'. I learned how to use animations. Now my challenge is another, learn how to 'fix' some pieces of clothing with physics at Unreal. I tried with a 'Tunic' but was unsuccessful. The collision system, at least in the Unreal viewport, is not very 'nice', remembering that sometimes some pieces of clothing or hair have an excessive number of polygons.

• In the UE4 Project Settings for Daz To Unreal, there's a checkbox for showing the FBX Import dialog at import time.  If you use this, you should be able to select a skeleton at import.  In fact ,there's a bug where I can't set the skeleton in that dialog.

For the clothing, you can set a different physics asset to be used for the clothing to collide with.  I usually make a simpler version that only has capsules for the character where the clothing might interact.

• Hi all 

The plugin is one thing, it works well. Another few doubts I have and my limited knowledge of Unreal Engine. I am taking my fourth course, I have even 'turned nights' studying because really Unreal with Daz can be or form a 'perfect pair'. I learned how to use animations. Now my challenge is another, learn how to 'fix' some pieces of clothing with physics at Unreal. I tried with a 'Tunic' but was unsuccessful. The collision system, at least in the Unreal viewport, is not very 'nice', remembering that sometimes some pieces of clothing or hair have an excessive number of polygons.

The physics of clothes is not good I use only on static objects like beds, towels and flags. In the Characters I try to simulate the movements using curves in the animations and morphs targets, and apply the physics clothes only on the ends of the hair and in very specific situations.
    Probably in Unreal 5 the collision of the tissues will be directly on the mesh instead of colliding with capsules.

edited September 2020

Hi all 

The physics of clothes is not good I use only on static objects like beds, towels and flags. In the Characters I try to simulate the movements using curves in the animations and morphs targets, and apply the physics clothes only on the ends of the hair and in very specific situations.
    Probably in Unreal 5 the collision of the tissues will be directly on the mesh instead of colliding with capsules.

well to be fair you really must have a very good knowledge to work with both the "cloth simulation tool and also the "physic simulation capsules, you must know how to proper setup the capsules, unreal even have a "cloth capsule", i've managed to make some really good outfit physics with it but however really need a lot of attempt and error for that.

here have a post talking about how to setup the constrains and capsules for ragdoll but also can work to setup the "capsules for the physics, which is the big issue normally, most of the problem is when you don't know how to proper setup the capsules and some "cloth configurations" to make things more "realistic.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6004957/#Comment_6004957

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • SombraGamesSombraGames Posts: 16
    edited September 2020
    Ellessarr said:

Hi all 

well to be fair you really must have a very good knowledge to work with both the "cloth simulation tool and also the "physic simulation capsules, you must know how to proper setup the capsules, unreal even have a "cloth capsule", i've managed to make some really good outfit physics with it but however really need a lot of attempt and error for that.

here have a post talking about how to setup the constrains and capsules for ragdoll but also can work to setup the "capsules for the physics, which is the big issue normally, most of the problem is when you don't know how to proper setup the capsules and some "cloth configurations" to make things more "realistic.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6004957/#Comment_6004957

it is possible to do something very realistic in C ++, because these resources exist in the API.

Post edited by SombraGames on
  • jeronimocollaresjeronimocollares Posts: 131
    edited September 2020

Hi all 

Yes, i se that. My goal now is imput some sockets to 2 weapons... 

I think I understand partially.  The animation asset that transfers with the character (or any animation for that skeleton) will use the default character for that skeleton when it creates the thumbnail.  You can actually change that in the animation's settings.  If you open the animation, I think it's under Preview Scene Settings -> Preview Mesh.

Hi :) 

I will use google translate and try to explain what I want in a simple way:

I'm composing an animation (I don't work with games and I'm not even interested in working with games). Unreal has a powerful 'real time' rendering system. I managed to take two characters to a small animation that I did. But there are still some things missing, for example (the difficulty I have now): how to put a sword in the hand of one of the characters? I'll just use these characters for animations, nothing more. I added a socket to the skeleton. It appears in the 'mesh' windows and in all 'animations', but when I add the 'mesh', for example, in the viewport or the animations themselves, the sword does not appear. In the skeleton window, below the socket, it says 'just preview'. Well, this is another step I want to take. :) 

In this case, is it the way but with a skeleton Mesh + a Static Mesh :) ? ---> http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-exporting-clothing-or-hair-separate-from-the-figure/

• Hi all 

I think I understand partially.  The animation asset that transfers with the character (or any animation for that skeleton) will use the default character for that skeleton when it creates the thumbnail.  You can actually change that in the animation's settings.  If you open the animation, I think it's under Preview Scene Settings -> Preview Mesh.

I'm composing an animation (I don't work with games and I'm not even interested in working with games). Unreal has a powerful 'real time' rendering system. I managed to take two characters to a small animation that I did. But there are still some things missing, for example (the difficulty I have now): how to put a sword in the hand of one of the characters? I'll just use these characters for animations, nothing more. I added a socket to the skeleton. It appears in the 'mesh' windows and in all 'animations', but when I add the 'mesh', for example, in the viewport or the animations themselves, the sword does not appear. In the skeleton window, below the socket, it says 'just preview'. Well, this is another step I want to take. :) 

In this case, is it the way but with a skeleton Mesh + a Static Mesh :) ? ---> http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-exporting-clothing-or-hair-separate-from-the-figure/

The two meshes are joined within the Character Blueprint, just click on the Character Blueprint and drag it into the view port.

You Need to Learn from Sequencer Linear Animations

• jeronimocollaresjeronimocollares Posts: 131
    edited September 2020

Hi all 

The two meshes are joined within the Character Blueprint, just click on the Character Blueprint and drag it into the view port.

You Need to Learn from Sequencer Linear Animations

Where, in the video - this video - talk about object + character + BP? Sequencer is one thing, BP is another thing. Sequencer i know how work, BP, im learning. I found something on web - yestarday, by myself, of corse... with default manequin and a tutorial with a custom character... i ll try today do something like that. Ty anyway.

• What you want to do is export the sword as a separate prop.  Not as part of the character.  Then use sockets to attach it.  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Content/Types/SkeletalMeshes/Sockets/index.html

• What you want to do is export the sword as a separate prop.  Not as part of the character.  Then use sockets to attach it.  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Content/Types/SkeletalMeshes/Sockets/index.html

Sockets your should only use on objects that will be inside the colision capsule, in the case of sword the bandstand is to create two skeletons, becase using sockets it will be difficult to apply collision physics and the sword will be entering the walls, entering clothes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3tUZPvB80s

For exemplo, he is using the Stylized Character Kit

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/stylized-male-character-kit-casual

It has a skeleton for each part os the body. 

In case of the sowrd, you have to export the sword to Blender, erase everything and create a skeleton for the sword, so it is easier to use physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VztOG15fps&t=8s 

Yes, its solved now. :)