a tutorial Series

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Has anyone tried this series for Carrara 8? http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/learning-carrara-8.html
l like the clarity, something I'm not finding in other vids. Maybe there's something similar for less?

Also, when perusing models etc for sale, most appear to be geared for Studio and Poser. Bryce then comes in 3rd place.... I've noticed that Carrara is never mentioned. Is it possible to get any of these models (for the above) into Carrara?

With Bryce, I've had to first put these models in Studio to then export or bridge from there into Bryce. I no longer have Studio essentially cause I think I'd rather sweat over Carrara.

Actually, the new version of Studio appeared so convoluted as compared to older versions I simply said, "Enough of this."

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited July 2014

kzerial said:
    Has anyone tried this series for Carrara 8? http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/learning-carrara-8.html
    l like the clarity, something I'm not finding in other vids. Maybe there's something similar for less?

Also, when perusing models etc for sale, most appear to be geared for Studio and Poser. Bryce then comes in 3rd place.... I've noticed that Carrara is never mentioned. Is it possible to get any of these models (for the above) into Carrara?

With Bryce, I've had to first put these models in Studio to then export or bridge from there into Bryce. I no longer have Studio essentially cause I think I'd rather sweat over Carrara.

Actually, the new version of Studio appeared so convoluted as compared to older versions I simply said, "Enough of this."

Oh yes... Phil Wilkes is one of the forum's leading lights and creates product too. PhilW... in case you might not have recognised it.

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=PhilW

:) Silene

ETA: Have you looked at the sticky at the top of the forum for Dartanbeck's manual. And there's a whole slew of Youtube tutorials. But I like Phil's IS videos as they are very clear. Look under the Sticky at the topy CARRARA INFORMATION MANUAL for a listing of what's out there. And see the Carrara Cafe as well... they have just updated the tutorial list there.

http://carraracafe.com/

Yes most DAZ content works in Car. I have been away, but there's a recent post if you look down the list here about what works in Carrara. Just found it:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33824/

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Its a pity daz didn't keep up the youtube tutorials they used to make the most informative tutorial videos were posted 2 years ago, I think there was a couple of carrara ones.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBC7E5F4451C04C4

I haven't tried the infiniteskills tuts they are outside my price range.

Steve.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited July 2014

The Infinite Skills videos with Phil are excellent.

Mark Bremmer also has great videos over on VTC, where you can sign up for just a month for not much.

Regarding models, I have bought tons from the Daz store and the Poser versions come in to Carrara just fine; most of the stuff works great. But then, I am not using major characters, so I don't know about that.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2014

kzerial said:

Most (but not all) content that is designed for Smith Micro's Poser and Daz Studio can be loaded directly into Carrara 8.5. For example, if you buy a Daz scene like the carnival themed tent, games, props, and clothing, then the props and figures will load directly into Carrara from the content browser at the bottom of the Carrara screen. Carrara literally has a browser pointing directly at the Poser runtime content file folder. There is no reason for a vendor to make a Carrara-specific carnival scene because if it is designed for Studio + Poser, it will most likely also be available for Carrara without any adjustments. Carrara will read the Poser runtime file structure so there is no need to have a specific Carrara installation.

There are some exceptions

- the materials structure for Studio, Poser, and Carrara differ somewhat. As a result, it is not uncommon to want to change the shader tree in Carrara of props and figures created in the Poser or Studio formats. The unadjusted materials work in Carrara, but they look different than the artist intended when created for the other programs. That is why one of the categories of Carrara-only products is shaders, including shaders for base figures.

- Poser 8+ weightmapped figures. Neither Daz Studio nor Carrara fully support the recent Poser-style figures that use weightmaps, although there is a plugin designed to help Carrara use such figures.

- Genesis and Genesis 2. Although these work in Poser and Carrara with adjustment, the figures were designed for Studio. As a result, Carrara 8.5 will not always match Studio when using such figures. An example is the high definition morphs and the fit-to tool for Genesis 2 figures. With those limitations in mind, Genesis 1 and 2 are used very successfully by Carrara 8.5 artists, but there are sometimes extra steps or complications compared to the M4 and V4 figures. For example, the mesh topology of Genesis stuff is protected. Doesn't stop use in Carrara, but can create obstacles and issues that would not arise for a figure like Michael 4 that is in the classic Poser runtime structure.

- - Pluses for Carrara - Carrara has some useful features that are not fully supported directly in Studio. One example is the surface replicator. Others include the terrain editor, the plant modeler, realistic skies, and the hair room. You will find some Carrara specific products in these categories, especially environments.

Hope it helps.

Edit - I have the PhilW beginner and advanced tutorials from infinite Skills and am very satisfied with each. Unfortunately, they are not cheap, so consider your own budget. You should also search for Cripeman Carrara tutorials on youtube.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies. The linked to site offers a $25 p/month subscription.

VTC? Viet tunneling Cong?

I'll throw this in for laughs tho it ain't funny. Bought a flash drive and got some files on there about two days before my hard drive died.... Problem is that this was on a Win XP system whereas now I'm on Win 7.... So all the .wav and .avi files have converted to .dat files...........

Now every conversion program I've downloaded and installed wound up hijacking my browser and worse. I'll have to find someone with XP to hopefully get my animations back. If I don't get my main video back, several years effort, I'm not sure I've the spiritual energy to start over. Some of that stuff is or was very cool imo. I did much in Bryce... using full zoom at times and putting the camera so close to - semi transparent - objects as to be almost touching. This technique cooked up some rather cool effects.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Heh,

Virtual Training Company

• edited December 1969

You mean heh, as in Yod Heh Vav Heh? Ha.

• DarkSide ProjectsDarkSide Projects Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I can also say with absolute certainty, that the Vidz from Phil's courses are very well done. Very well worth investing in if you can get it. I knew nothing about Carrara or DAZ when i bought my Carrara, but after going through the vidz they have helped immensely. Tonnes of free top notch stuff out there as well though. Hope you find what you'r looking for :)

• edited December 1969

Hope you find what you’r looking for smile

Thank you. I am looking for.....all the truths that the powers that be have suppressed for thousands of years.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    I am looking for.....all the truths that the powers that be have suppressed for thousands of years.

I'm not sure that I can provide that, but I hope you enjoy the Carrara tutorials! (and thanks to everyone who posted their support). There is a new title "Realism in Carrara" which is just finishing editing and so should be out soon.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    Hope you find what you’r looking for smile

Thank you. I am looking for.....all the truths that the powers that be have suppressed for thousands of years.

You'll find it in the pyramid with one eye! If you're not sure where that is, take off your tin-foil hat and wait for the black helicopters to come and pick you up. ;-P

In the meantime, if money is an issue, look at the top of the Carrara Discussion forum and you should see a thread called the Carrara Information Manual, started by Dartanbeck. He has lots of links to tutorials and such.

I think it was mentioned already, however, I'll plug it again, Holly Wetcircuit has done a spectacular job at the CarraraCafe organizing a couple hundred tutorials.
    http://carraracafe.com/

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    ... Edit - I have the PhilW beginner and advanced tutorials from infinite Skills and am very satisfied with each. ...

I agree. He does a good job of actually explaining the features, not just showing the result.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    kzerial said:
    I am looking for.....all the truths that the powers that be have suppressed for thousands of years.

I'm not sure that I can provide that, but I hope you enjoy the Carrara tutorials! (and thanks to everyone who posted their support). There is a new title "Realism in Carrara" which is just finishing editing and so should be out soon.

I am looking forward to this one.