jellyfish

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!!! I have to do an illustration with very small prehistoric animals, undersea, with a "skin" like Jelly fish... gelatinous...
I have problems to get that sort of shader, it seems to turn mostly like glass, or, if based on a semi transparent plastic, they turn vey dull... I don't see how to get a fine, vibrant Jelly, but without strong colors, like sometimes in actual jellyfish...
thank you for any ideas!!!

Comments

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here's something quick an dirty.

What I found was that the translucency channel had a big impact.
    I did also use the same color (a light blue) in the transparancy, translucency and highlight.

Having a little bump, and that colour gradient with the cellular shader in the highlight, did also help a lot.

Untitled-2.jpg
    1000 x 571 - 311K
    Doc2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 167K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I was going to suggest translucency as well. It can be used transparency, but you'll want to experiment to see what mix works best. In the transparency channel, there are also settings for in-scattering and absorption that may help sell it as well.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

just a general question, how does color gradient effect the shader

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited July 2014

A gradiant color always has a mixor (Shader), test several possibilities and you will see the results (See the screenshot here up).
    After that, test the free plugin of Sparrowhawkes:

http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html

Post edited by DUDU on
  • laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

thank you for your help!!! I've made a lot of improvemùents! one thing I don't understand is: how to get fuzzy transparencies?I suppose it's "absortion", but I don't see a lot of différences, using it!...

edited July 2014

celmar said:
    thank you for your help!!! I've made a lot of improvemùents! one thing I don't understand is: how to get fuzzy transparencies?I suppose it's "absortion", but I don't see a lot of différences, using it!...

Maybe it might help, but I suspect you'll have more luck with Fresnel or maybe something in the bump channel.

Added screen shot.

Picture_2.png
    799 x 505 - 115K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

As evilproducer says. Add just a tiny bit of bump to it.

Just 2-5 % bump value, and the cellular function with a scale of 2 % gives some interesting results.

You can also be adventures and use a mixer in the value-channel of the transparency channel. again with a natural pattern as the mixer.
    Cellular or spots.

This tutorial by Holly Wetcircuit
    http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/create-specular-skin-effects-in-carrara/ does also explain how to use the Highlight and Shininess channel to simulate bump, and this subtle effect can also have a great impact.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    As evilproducer says. Add just a tiny bit of bump to it.

Just 2-5 % bump value, and the cellular function with a scale of 2 % gives some interesting results.

You can also be adventures and use a mixer in the value-channel of the transparency channel. again with a natural pattern as the mixer.
    Cellular or spots.

This tutorial by Holly Wetcircuit
    http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/create-specular-skin-effects-in-carrara/ does also explain how to use the Highlight and Shininess channel to simulate bump, and this subtle effect can also have a great impact.

Holly's method with a simulated bum may actually render faster as well. I'm not sure how it would look on a jellyfish as when they're under water you don't get much of a highlight.