Monocular/binocular telescope effect?

Is there any product available, that contains an effect making the scene appear as if it was seen through a monocular or binocular telescope, please?

Perhaps some camera effect?

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Is there any product available, that contains an effect making the scene appear as if it was seen through a monocular or binocular telescope, please?

That's usually easier to add after the render is done.  If you google binocular effect you can find templates for both still images and greenscreen clips for videos.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    Sevrin said:

That's usually easier to add after the render is done.  If you google binocular effect you can find templates for both still images and greenscreen clips for videos.

Well, I do not have Photoshop or any other comparable software. 

Sevrin said:

The GIMP is free, and so is Blender.

Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:

I know. I tried GIMP, but I am afraid I found it way beyond my skill level. I would prefer a DAZ Studio tool, that is why I am asking.

Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:

I know. I tried GIMP, but I am afraid I found it way beyond my skill level. I would prefer a DAZ Studio tool, that is why I am asking.

Well, you skill level can increase.  You've done fine learning Daz Studio, and being able to do a little post work makes the job of rendering a lot easier.  There are many tutorials on how to use The GIMP on YouTube.  I use Affinity Photo, which isn't expensive, fairly intuitive, has a free trial and for which there are also a lot of free learning resources.

Anyway, you can do this:

1. Create a camera.  Have it point straight ahead, parallel to the ground.
    2. Create a plane primitive, around 10m to start.  Divisions don't matter, but keep the number low.  Set Z-rotation to 90 degreess.
    3. In Surfaces, set the plane's base colour to black, and reduce Glossy Layered Weight to Zero. 
    4. Put the attached mask into the Cutout Opacity mask.  
    5. Select the Plane.  In the Scene tab, drag the plane onto the camera to parent it.  Now when you move the camera, the plane and the mask will move with it. 
    6. Adjust the plane so that it fills your field of view in the Aspect Frame when looking through the camera. 
    7. Click the checkmark next to the Plane in the Scene Tab, so you won't accidentally move it.

If you don't like my mask, which I just slapped together, you can make one in MS Paint and add lines or whatever you want to see in the image.  Make the image at least 2160x2160 and save it as a PNG.

And that's all there is to it.  Note that if you use depth of field, the mask will blur.  A little blurring will be nice, but a lot of blurring will not look good, so you'll need to adjust your F-Stop accordingly.  That's a reason this is easier to do in post, where you have more control.

Binocular Mask.png
    2160 x 2160 - 25K
    Setup Texture Shaded.jpg
    1466 x 826 - 138K
    Setup Iray.jpg
    1464 x 822 - 107K
    View.jpg
    1462 x 817 - 73K
  • There once was this fish eyed lens product but it is retired for a while now.

There once was this fish eyed lens product but it is retired for a while now.

I played around with camera lens distortion options a while back.  I don't go in for too many special effects, but for someone who likes that kind of thing, they would be worth looking at.

• This product has a few scopes/reticles it that helps. Have got the product but haven't used to recticles.

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-firefight

Thank you for the tips, everyone.