Boolean Blues

cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

So I have made a castle in a forest, and want to create a clearing for it.

I created a cylinder, made it negative, made the forest object positive, made it a group, and it cleared it, almost.

Now there is some kind of junk or residual pattern that wont disappear.

What are some possible reasons for this?

Thanks

- Jim

test20140717d.jpg
1434 x 997 - 598K
test20140717c.jpg
1434 x 997 - 1M
test20140717.jpg
1434 x 997 - 741K
test20140717b.jpg
1434 x 997 - 1M

Comments

• cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

I might have solved the skygunk issue, though im not sure how.

Now I have an unwanted shadow, coming from the negative boolean.

Ideas?

Thanks

- Jim

test20140717g.jpg
    1434 x 997 - 895K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

I have to wonder why you used a boolean instead of just deleting the forest objects to make the clearing. By no means do I know enough about using boolean operations to give you a definite answer, but that shadow looks like a piece of something that wasn't removed during the boolean operation. Almost like it's part of the cylinder you used. Something else I wouldn't have done, and that's to encase the castle within that cylinder. And if I deleted instead of using a boolean, I'd have that fewer objects within the scene.

If I were to use a boolean operation, I would first delete those objects closest to the castle then use a cylinder, or cube, slightly taller than the tallest object I wanted to remove, then encompassed as many objects as I wanted to cut.

• cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply.

The "forest" is actually a procedural from a volumetric texture, and the only way to fix it from the texture is to make the woods less dense or otherwise modify in the dte, they arent real bryce trees.

As far as the boolean interacting with the volume texture, early experimenting seems to have given me results, just not all of desired one at the same time. When I had the "skygunk", there was no phantom cylinder shadow.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

- Jim

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jim: Have you tried modifying the material in the DTE?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You could try setting you neg cylinder to not cast shadows in the mat lab

• ClaymorClaymor Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'd try playing with the material on the negative boolean. Turn off shadows, then I might even try making it completely transparent.