Production Frame flipping all over the place

jack 4Djack 4D Posts: 28
edited July 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Hi. I'm running Carrara v6.2.1 on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.6.8. Just installed the app today. For the most part it's running perfectly but every so often the Production Frame will lock up when I try to reposition it and instead, the camera will uncontrollably zoom in on the scene. Or if I am able to grab the Production Frame it will jump all over the place while I'm trying to move or resize it and my document becomes corrupted. Has anyone experienced this extreme quirky behavior and any suggestions as to what I might do to prevent it from happening? Thanks for reading.

Post edited by jack 4D on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

resizing it in the render room my usual choice, find it iffy at best grabbing corners in scenes unless just one figure or object framed

• jack 4Djack 4D Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I do follow what you're talking about but unfortunately that isn't what's happening here. I'm not accidentally selecting an object instead of the production frame. Sometimes when I try to move it and grab a corner the frame is all of a sudden flipping around the scene, from top to bottom, right to left. Or if I try to resize it, it resizes in sudden jumps, or it won't move at all and the camera starts zooming in like crazy. Most of the time it is perfectly controllable but then, out of the blue, it starts acting whacky. Is this happening because I'm running v6 with Snow Leopard?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

I am not a Mac user but know some earlier Carrara versions have compatibilty issues with later Mac version like Mountain lion I think
    one of the Mac experts may know more.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited July 2014

I guess I'm a bit confused. You're not using the camera controls (pictured icons)? I can only resize the frame when grabbing the corners of the production frame.

Edited to add that if I grab the cross-hairs in the center I can move the frame around, bit it is more akin to using the 2D hand tool which is meant for more of an isometric view. The preferred method to aim the camera should be the camera tools in the screen shot.

The lag may have to do with your OpenGL settings in the Interactive Rnderer (little, circle up-arrow icon at top of window). The settings in that control panel are only for the 3D view of your scene and play no part in the render room settings.

Picture_4.png
    166 x 29 - 6K
    Picture_3.png
    106 x 141 - 9K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I just checked, grabbing the cross hairs in the production frame and moving it around does nothing to camera position or orientation. It also doesn't generate any keyframes so is useless for animations. It's just a quick way to fine tune the render frame.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited July 2014

I just checked, grabbing the cross hairs in the production frame and moving it around does nothing to camera position or orientation. It also doesn't generate any keyframes so is useless for animations. It's just a quick way to fine tune the render frame.

Ah.... I've wondered about that. I change the size of my production frame in Render Output and un-tick keep proportions, then back in Assembly, choose the camera, then I can grab the corners or move with crosshairs and the size will change as I wish and not just in scale.. I prefer to put in exact dimensions in the Output menu as I am doing book covers and page illustrations and want to see what will actually be included in the rendered project. That sets the size of the frame...then I just moved it with the crosshairs if too high or low, and keep the dolly on the axis settings I've chosen for the scene.

But I don't animate. And also, if I don't pay attention.... when I zoom in to fix something or change the camera dolly to do so, I am buggered unless I remember to save my original camera position so I can get back to it. It helps to lock the frame as well. I am doing test renders all the time so this is important to me.

If there's a way around this, I'd like to know!

:roll: Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi. I’m running Carrara v6.2.1 on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.6.8. Just installed the app today

it seems strange to me that you've chosen version 6.21 of carrara,. since we're now at version 8.5 ....(Current;y on sale here)

Moving the production frame,. will only resize / reposition,. the production frame. (It's better to resize to an accurate size in the render settings (output) tab.

Moving the Production frame does NOT move the camera.

Use the Quad view,. and use the "Directors Camera" instead of the main "Camera1"!
    You can INSERT a "target helper object" then select your camera, go to MODIFIERS in the right hand panels, and select "POINT AT"
    then choose your new "Target helper object"

The camera will point at that target.

hold ALT while you click/drag in the scene to move around. .. see HELP for full details.

The issues you're getting are "Open GL issues,. probably because the computer you're using is much newer than the software.
    Carrara was never built to run on the system you have. although it may work,. it my also have issues.

Has anyone experienced this extreme quirky behavior and any suggestions as to what I might do to prevent it from happening?

It's not likely since C6 and C7 are no longer available for sale from Daz3D

Upgrade to C8 or 8.5

hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

I missed the Carrara version and the OS X version. That's most likely where the wonkiness and scene corruption is coming from. I'm amazed that version of Carrara even launches with that OS X version. That's gotta be an Intel chip in your machine, and I'm not entirely sure Macs had moved to Intel chips when C6 came out.