Is DAZ ever going to update the Mil Dog/Cat??

Anim8dtoonAnim8dtoon Posts: 61
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It has been YEARS since DAZ released the Millennium Dog and Cat and I would like to know if they're ever going to be updated as the Mil Horse was a few months ago........anyone know?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,069
    edited December 1969

DAZ knows :lol:

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,873
    edited December 1969

We never even got a mil-elephant........I would love a new elephant

Rawn

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Rawn

Thou are the PA ;-)

• Anim8dtoonAnim8dtoon Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

WendyCatz, are you saying DAZ has new Mil Dogs and Cats in the works at this time??

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2014

WendyCatz, are you saying DAZ has new Mil Dogs and Cats in the works at this time??

No she is saying only DAZ knows, or maybe she is saying that DAZ 3D knows that people are asking for this.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

A range of cute little doggies, with LAMH fur presets, sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Cheers,

Alex.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Rawn

Sounds like a mammoth undertaking for a PA.

Now, where can we find a PA around here...? ;-)

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

A range of cute little doggies, with LAMH fur presets, sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Whenever this come up, I mention that I have yet to find a Poser / Daz Studio native format Welsh Corgi...
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,950
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Rawn

Mec4d just mentioned a major update to the old DAZ elephant (with weight-mapping and new body morphs!) here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43962/#646871
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Whenever this come up, I mention that I have yet to find a Poser / Daz Studio native format Welsh Corgi...

New tech might make creating your own more feasible. Body part scaling is much improved in current-day models. The Hivewire forums have much to say about Dawn taking body part scaling much better than V4 ever did, this can't be limited to human models.

The MilDog and MilCat were remarkable work for their time, but their time was quite a while ago.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

I didn't care for the last batch of Mil Pups, their paws looked like bricks to me. Quite ugly and with them being so big, as they should be on a pup, they stood out like a sore thumb. Nothing soft about them. UGLY! So yea, a new Mil Cat, Dog, Kitten and Cat would be nice but please pay more attention to fine details like that DAZ. Totally put me off from using these products in ANY of my renders. Wasted my money! I don't like that.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

New releases would be awesome, especially with all the LAMH addons that I bet we will see like we did with the Big Cat 2

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

I just hope they add puppy and kitty morphs.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

And I hope, hope, hope they do something about the feet. The DAZ BigCat2 has *horrible* feet. Worse than the original MilBigCat, where the feet were the weakest point to an otherwise nice mesh.

WHY do they make the feet flat on the bottom? No creature with paws has feet that are flat on the bottom.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    And I hope, hope, hope they do something about the feet. The DAZ BigCat2 has *horrible* feet. Worse than the original MilBigCat, where the feet were the weakest point to an otherwise nice mesh.

WHY do they make the feet flat on the bottom? No creature with paws has feet that are flat on the bottom.

I don't understand why some enterprising PA hasn't just produced a set of "round paw-pad" morphs for BC2. I can do a half-decent job of it just using dformers, so someone with Z-brush ought to be able to come up with something.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

No she is saying only DAZ knows, or maybe she is saying that DAZ 3D knows that people are asking for this.
    I know nothing :lol:
    DAZ only knows

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Since they finally made a new dragon and a new Big Cat, it would seem very strange if they didn't have new dog and cat in the works.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,873
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Rawn

Mec4d just mentioned a major update to the old DAZ elephant (with weight-mapping and new body morphs!) here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43962/#646871

You can put new paint on a Ford pinto...but it will still be a pinto ;) LOL

Rawn

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,608
    edited December 1969

I've been wanting a new cat and dog, and kitten and puppy forever. I still use the Mil cat when I need to have an animal in a scene and they look dated.

I really want small dogs. I'm a chihuahua girl myself so I'd pay good money for a chi-dog.

I am still waiting for a working horse bridle for horse 2.

I agree about big cat 2 paws. They are way hoof-like. The faces also aren't as well-done in the placement of the features as the real animal's look different.

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    RawArt said:

Rawn

You can put new paint on a Ford pinto...but it will still be a pinto ;) LOL

Rawn

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/6163HKRrev.pdf
    http://www.racingjunk.com/Door-Cars/2349438/78-Ford-Pinto-Super-Street-Drag-Car.html

:coolgrin:

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Cheers,

Alex.

I second what you old say...

The point is, MilDog and MilCat look inferior when lined up with modern human figures like Genesis or Gen2F/Gen2M. I have nearly stopped using them - a shame, I know. For example, MilDog doesn't have a poodle: one of the most iconic breeds.

I really hope DAZ will create new versions soon (hey, it calls for a celebration - I mean, for a giveaway of the "oldies" :lol:). For now, I deem Lyne's freebie animals and Kirwyn's boxer to suit my needs better.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,954
    edited December 1969

...been wondering about this as well. Been what, eight years? Would be nice to have a cat that actually bends and moves like a cat.

edited July 2014

I actually tried dazcollada importing the mixamo fbx cat into studio from carrara 8.5
    it was even worse that the milcat in feline beauty
    seems nobody can make a nice house cat, we shall avoid mentioning the Poser one! (is pure scariness)
    remarkably after zeroing the figure selecting hip and aligning the bones it was poseable
    but like all nonDaz/poser fbx/collada imports could not be saved rigged as a support asset
    I have even gotten Makehuman figures and Skyrim content rigged into studio the same way, is odd, sees the rigging and weightpainting which affects the mesh, but does not connect it to the geometry on saving.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

That's a huge undertaking, is the thing. People's expectations for a new dog or cat are high, and critters with working eyes and mouths that look like a real creature that exists are very hard to do, even if they're not as hard as people. So I expect it will happen, but not until DAZ does it officially, and only DAZ knows their own plans on that.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Well if Alex decides to it, perhaps he can fill the chasm!

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

I think some day when I get better at rigging I might want to take a stab at creating a quadruped unimesh. A generic quadrupedal mesh that can be morphed into a wider variety of quadrupeds.

Right now I'm still having enough troubles with bipeds. Maybe after I finish my imp I'll go back and work on my Sheeple figure again. That will at least give me practice rigging a animal leg.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,954
    edited July 2014

...they need to study film of cats to see and understand how they move.

Cats can easily get into positions that would send the best human contortionist to chiropractic therapy or spaces that would require the "Jaws of Life" to get out of.

Using even the basic Mil Cat poses, I notice undesirable mesh distortion particularly in the neck and foreleg areas. Weight mapping would definitely help.

However so would a better understanding of feline anatomy. Cats have additional thoracic and lumbar vertebrae compared to humans which accounts for the greater flexibility of their spine (for example, why a cat can sleep twisted such that its forelegs are pointing in one direction and it's rear legs in the opposite). They also have a "free floating' rather than fixed clavicle which allows for improved range of motion in their forelegs compared to a human's arms (hence the ability to squeeze through spaces no larger than their heads). Not sure if this can even be duplicated with a conventional bone rigging system.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,608
    edited December 1969

Could they morph Daz Big Cat two into a house cat? I'm not a PA, but seems like we should at least get a Big Cat two- cub by now.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    edited December 1969

Yes, there will be a new dog and cat in both male and female base figure.

Each new breed will be it's own figure, but there will be 5 female cat & dog figures to every 1 male cat & dog figures.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I'd love to see a Lhasa Apso or Shitzu mix, or some other little cutie fluffy furry guy!!