Not sure where to go with this scene

TemairTemair Posts: 89
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am happy with the mountain and the material on it, but not with the sky or lighting, the snow covered tree's are either glowing as if they are radio active or to dull, does anyone have any pointers for me please

snow_scene1-a.jpg
648 x 310 - 73K

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

My approach to solving the snow on the trees issue Bryce 7.1 Pro - Snow on trees effect - by David Brinnen

Also, to give the scene some depth, you might wish to consider putting some mountains in the background, ideally far enough back to be sat in a bit of haze. And... maybe widen your field of view (FOV) I think it's possible to get away with anything up to 120 degrees as measured by Bryce.

For some help with composition, if you have not seen it, Horo and I have published this http://www.daz3d.com/golden-rules-composition-helpers-for-bryce which is available in the store and is free.

AOV.jpg
    490 x 535 - 124K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,536
    edited December 1969

@preciousmetal - if the trees start to glow, they may have ambience applied. For non-glowing materials, using ambience is a no-no in most cases. Experiment with specularity if you think they look dull. Don't forget to adjust the specular level for the sun in the Sky Lab. On the whole, I think what you have so far looks pretty good.

• TemairTemair Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

Thanks both. I did use your tutorial for the trees David, its the skys that affect the trees and their glowing, will have a look at another mountain for it and the fov

Thanks Horo will have a play with the specularity aswell

edited December 1969

Thanks both. I did use your tutorial for the trees David, its the skys that affect the trees and their glowing -

In that case something has gone awry with your settings. It's probably not much. If you want it looking into and the file is small enough for email or you want to use drop box. I will happily have a look at the source file for you to see where things can be tweaked.

edited December 1969

Have sent you an email David with the file attached, thank you for taking a look :)

edited December 1969

Have sent you an email David with the file attached, thank you for taking a look :)

No problem. As I suspected it is only a couple of minor things that is causing problems.

1 - you've got your effect set up! Good. But, by bear in mind, that the material can't differentiate between light sources, it will respond to all diffuse light sources in the scene.

2 - skydome colour acts as a diffuse light source from directly above that does not cast shadows. So this will set off your material.

3 - shadow intensity not at 100% will let light travel into shadow regions and set off your material.

To get more control what you can do Disable all the light sources from your scene you can't use the influence control with and just set things up with light sources that either exclude or include your objects as you need.

Or shift the hypertexture to the specular channel in the material and make sure your suns specular output is 0. Then you can include specular light sources you can control.

I'll set something up for you to look at from your file and send it back.

I also strongly recommend using the perspective camera rather than the directors camera for framing your scene. It makes it easier to orientate objects in your view if you can see the camera you are working with and have some clues as to the FOV settings.

Shadow_intensity.jpg
    683 x 578 - 146K
    Skydome.jpg
    825 x 319 - 114K
    Effect.jpg
    668 x 544 - 116K
    edited December 1969

Thanks David how do I change the light sources as its only lit by the sky and skies are what I really need to learn more,
    I forget to move the camera so will try to in future as it is easier

edited December 1969

Thank you for the files David love scene 7 the lighting is a lot better

edited July 2014

David thank you for the help the camera change made a big difference here is what I have now am just not sure about the three placement of the trees on the right hand side

snow_scene8.jpg
    864 x 413 - 94K
    Post edited by Temair on
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Wow! Bang!! Big improvement! That's a pretty piece. As to the placement of the trees on the right, I think your answer is in the trees at the left. Evergreens seem, at leas to me, grow in clusters...or they look better in clusters. Maybe if you scooted the one lone tree that's just under the pointed peak to the right a little so that it's in front of the other tree (not the one in the foreground) and reduced the size a bit to keep them from looking too uniform, it might make a good composition.

Tell me that you're thinking entering this in the Trees Challenge? If not, you really should consider it! This would make a really nice poster...

edited December 1969

Thank you and yes its a big improvement, have moved the trees on the right and think it looks a lot better for that, not sure whether to enter it in the challenge or not as did have some help from David mainly with moving the camera angle for me. Here is the latest though not a high quality render setting as that will take a while so will od that tomorrow

snow_scene9.jpg
    864 x 413 - 92K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Very nice! I think that it really opens it up and creates much more of a feeling of depth. Really, you should think about entering....

edited December 1969

I'll see what its like after a proper render tomorrow well later today, and thank you