Active Camouflage

dmurray3132dmurray3132 Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

By any chance, does any one have techniques on creating active camouflage on Carrara or even DAZStudio?

I'm pretty sure it's simple but I'm cheating a bit by asking you guys.

And you might have better ideas

Thanks in advance

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

By any chance, does any one have techniques on creating active camouflage on Carrara or even DAZStudio?

Thanks in advance

? active

There are camouflage filters for 2D texturing.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I agree with Patience. A bit more information is needed. I don't know what active camouflage is. I know what camouflage is, but don't know the distinctions.

• dmurray3132dmurray3132 Posts: 24
    edited July 2014

Shame on me for making assumptions. Best example would be "Predator" or as in "Halo." As in the picture

I may have figured the texturing part out. I just need to figure out how to animate the transition.

Thanks guys, you have never been late with the help.

master_cheif_using_active_camo_in_halo_1_pc_xbox.jpg
    455 x 341 - 44K
    Post edited by dmurray3132 on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited July 2014

Thanks in advance

If you don't want to make them yourself, I've just released a combat shader pack that you might find useful - they are fabric shaders but could probably be applied to general objects, depending on the scene:

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/fabulous-fabrics-combat-preset-shaders-for-daz-studio

EDIT: Ooops - sorry, didn't see the post about animating - guess my shaders won't be much help then.

Post edited by Eva1 on
  • waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

animate the transition?

in the shader room use a mixer parameter for your character

put one texture in source 1
    put t'other texture in source 2
    in the blender part you could use a 1-100 slider
    at frame 1 use a value of 1
    at frame 100 or whatever use a value of 100
    you could also animate it with a black and white avi in the blender section
    if for example you wanted a ripple effect in the transition you would use a ripple animation,
    but the timing becomes harder I think

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967
    edited December 1969

May not be what you want, but (at least) one of Dimension Theory's nature-based shaders is a 'camera-based' shader, so as the figure moves the material/shader on it changes too.

• dmurray3132dmurray3132 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Man I love this forum.

Thanks guys,

I'll try these this weekend

edited December 1969

As Headwax suggested, you could use a mixer to transition, but I think C8 and on has a master shader mixer or something that operates essentially the same way, except it should be able to blend the entire multi-channel shader instead of having to do it by Color, Highlight, Shininess, Bump, etc, etc.

As to the effect of the active camo, I would think that a transparent shader with a Fresnel value and refraction would do the trick. Probably a touch of reflection as well. If it's still to visible, use the alpha channel with a 1-100 slider to fade out the visibility to the desired level.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited December 1969

Poser shaders have a refraction channel. If you have something equivalent, try experimenting with that.

edited December 1969

pwiecek said:
    Poser shaders have a refraction channel. If you have something equivalent, try experimenting with that.

Carrara has a transparency shader with a fresnel option (the refraction shader must be enabled), absorption and in-scattering.

Carrara has a refraction shader plus a bunch of IOR profiles (Index of Refraction), or you can use any other procedural function.

There is a separate alpha shader that can also be used, but it has no refraction.