A way to save a render part of the way through/ iteratively, that actually works, pleaseeee

It would save so much heartache if we could save a render halfway. right now, the save button just gives you an error that the temp image "C:/yourpathystuffhere/r.png" can't be *loaded*. Why "loaded"and not saved, I don't know. it's clearly *somewhere* since it is showing up on my screen.

but anyway, that would be a simple fix and would make Daz a lot more functional for many of us who get NVIDIA crashes often.

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

For intermediate saves, stop the render, then File > Save last render and resume the render.  You can do that as many times as you like during the render.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

It would save so much heartache if we could save a render halfway. right now, the save button just gives you an error that the temp image "C:/yourpathystuffhere/r.png" can't be *loaded*. Why "loaded"and not saved, I don't know. it's clearly *somewhere* since it is showing up on my screen.

That's the path to the temp image file that's saved regularly during the render. I didn't know for sure before this, but it looks like the rendering part of DAZ|Studio locks that file so no other routine can mess with it until the render stops. That includes the "save file" routine in the Render Library. As mentioned, the right way is to stop the render (I use the <esc> key), save from the file menu, then use the "Resume" button on the Render window.

• Lux Render automatically collects all relevant scene files in a container and then auto-saves the render at periodic intervals. That way any render process can be resumed at the last saved point at any time even after a crash. One wouldn't even have to re-open Studio to resume a render. This is an incredibly useful feature and it would be very helpful if Nvidia/Iray had it as well. I don't think the Reality Lux Render app has been updated in quite awhile and it's probably not compatible with the current Studio/Iray build so I'm doubtful that Lux Render would be a viable current render alternative. Adding this data collection/auto-save capability to Iray would be huge benefit.