[Released] Morph Editor for ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
edited October 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Mesh Grabber Morph Editor (Win) is the second add-on plugin to the popular Mesh Grabber (Win), originally published in December 2019.

(This time round the Mac users had the privilege of getting first on Oct 10 already, so this announcement is for the Windows version. But the two versions are functionally identical. The base Mesh Grabber for Windows was already updated in the store a few days back)

The new add-on helps you to create your own morphs with Mesh Grabber and edit any existing morphs with two new "Load" and "Save" buttons in the "Tool Options" pane:

• The "Load" button allows you to import the deltas of any existing morph into Mesh Grabber for editing. Simply mark one or several morphs as "favorites" in the properties pane and press "Load".
  • The "Save" button allows you to save the current Mesh Grabber deltas as a morph.

This will enable you to easily use your Mesh Grabber work in animations and to make it available for other scenes and users!

The combined "Load" and "Save" features also provide you with a complete morph editor. By marking multiple morphs as favorites before loading them, you can also combine multiple morphs into one.

This add-on requires Mesh Grabber 3.0 to be installed. If you purchased Mesh Grabber earlier, Daz Install Manager (DIM) will update it automatically.

This is the version for 64-bit Windows only. The Mac version was already released on October 10.

Post edited by ManFriday on

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Looking forward to it!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    RGcincy said:

Looking forward to it!

+1

heart

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833

Will be interesting to see, if someone has produced anything with it.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,745

Thank you for the discount for owning the other two products in the bundle. It made it super easy on my Daz budget to buy the add-on. Now I have to figure out what it does!

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

if i make morphs with this, can i give them away or sell them?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

Wow, that's a pretty generous discount for Mesh Grabber / MG Rotations owners - thank you so much! (Now I have the full set)

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
    daveso said:

if i make morphs with this, can i give them away or sell them?

If you make the morphs yourself, then probably yes. If you load someone else's morph into the Mesh Grabber and edit it, then probably no. :-)

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Is the discount already over?

• Was the discount for a limited time today? It disappeared?

• Yeah gone for me too. ☹️

I'm sorry about that. I tried to explain the situation here. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6123287/#Comment_6123287

• Aha, it was confusing. But, I already own the first two products and am happy to but the third at the normal new product discount. The first two are marvelous products, and this looks like the perfect compliment to them.

Maybe for the next installment, you can do a mesh splitter or somesuch thing to add geometry to an existing mesh?

gollor42 said:

Aha, it was confusing. But, I already own the first two products and am happy to but the third at the normal new product discount. The first two are marvelous products, and this looks like the perfect compliment to them.

Maybe for the next installment, you can do a mesh splitter or somesuch thing to add geometry to an existing mesh?

That would be lovely but it's not easy to do. The Mesh Grabber is a Daz Studio geometry modifier, like the push modifier, or the dForce modifier, or D-Formers, and they can move vertices around in space, but not add or remove vertices. Without having done too much research on it, adding or removing vertices would break rigging and thus the whole Daz Genesis universe. So I don't think it can be done with reasonable effort.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    edited October 2020

sorry your product's premiere day turned into so much not fun.

just wanted to let you know that i picked it up anyway.  as a freelancer, i have no problem understanding why an artist wouldn't be too keen on having such a huge first bite taken out of my first round of royalties.

i thought about postponing my purchase until the later-stage discount structure was in play, but i figured that after the day you must've had, the least i could do was symbolically buy you a glass of wine or a beer or a cup of coffee or something.  solidarity! 

i also look forward to using the editor.  usually it's the other way around.

:)

j

Post edited by jardine on

Thank you jardine :-)

• Another brilliant release from a magnificent vendor!! I love your scripts... they are worth every penny. Hope you sell a ton!!

• I don't know how much discount I missed, but I know what DAZs vig is, so I don't begrudge you the few percent.  Thanks for the nice tools. :)

• I have the Mesh Grabber which I use in Daz 4.10.  Will this Morph Editor also be able to work in Daz 4.10.  Thanks for your help! 

bambooji said:

I have the Mesh Grabber which I use in Daz 4.10.  Will this Morph Editor also be able to work in Daz 4.10.  Thanks for your help! 

I'm not testing it daily but Yes, it should!

• I purchased the Mac bundle, but I'm trying to figure out why are there no product download links to the individual items?  Is this not quite ready for primetime on the Mac?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    CurlyMac said:

I purchased the Mac bundle, but I'm trying to figure out why are there no product download links to the individual items?  Is this not quite ready for primetime on the Mac?

Are you talking about download links for manual install? The product pages only lists DazCentral and DIM as install options, I don't think there are standalone installers.

edited October 2020

It's totally ready for primetime, I think. In fact it's been tested since December on Windows so the early bugs have been ironed out, hopefully.

There are currently some problems with stand-alone installers for the Mesh Grabber for the Mac. We decided to not delay the release until these issues were fixed because it seems a bit difficult and release the Mesh Grabber products for DIM / Daz Central only. Even if you don't use them otherwise I would recommend to use them this one time for installing the Mesh Grabber products. Or at least use them to download the ZIP files and then you can place the files into the /plugins folder manually.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • Unfortunately, I dislike installing via DIM/Daz Central ... prefer to put things in place on my own.  Guess I'll have to bite the bullet on this one. sad

• Sorry, but I'm not familiar with how to download the zip files via DIM or Daz Central.  Am I missing something?

When you start DIM you log in with your Daz email and password. You will then probably see all the products that you have ever purchased as "ready to download". Unless you want to install them all, you want to find only the Mesh Grabber products in the list. You can sort the list with a drop-down at the top right by "order date: recent first".

Since my plugins are installed to the Daz Studio program directory and not your library, you can just install them with DIM. So check the "Install after download" box at the bottom and click on the "Download" buttons next to each of the Mesh Grabber products. That should do it.

win_screenshot_1603227704.jpg
    250 x 154 - 8K
  • I think I'm missing something here.  Once I modify something with Mesh Grabber, why do I want to save it out as a morph?  I'm envisioning using mesh grabber to fix specific problems - wouldn't the morph only be needed if it kept coming up?

I assume the idea is to make the morph on one figure and then have it available on others.  But only others of the same base model, right?

I think I'm missing something here.  Once I modify something with Mesh Grabber, why do I want to save it out as a morph?  I'm envisioning using mesh grabber to fix specific problems - wouldn't the morph only be needed if it kept coming up?

I assume the idea is to make the morph on one figure and then have it available on others.  But only others of the same base model, right?

You can make a morph on a genesis 8 figure available for all G8 figures. Or you change change something in a particular dress and save it out as a moprh, and it will always be available when you load that dress in the future. 
    The other use for morphs is animation. I use it a lot with dForce, where i fix the results of a simulation in Mesh Grabber but i don't want those deltas to be active for all frames. So I'm getting some mileage out of the morphs feature myself. 
    And you can load existing morphs into mesh grabber and change them. 

• CurlyMac said:

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with how to download the zip files via DIM or Daz Central.  Am I missing something?

You should seriously re-think using DIM. Although it uses the target directories specified by the PAs which are sometimes not optimal or even include typos it makes your like in >90% of cases much easier. With DIM & ContentWizard I am rarely touching my library folders manually.

Regarding MeshGrabber its a tool. Therefore after install you neither will find it in Smart Content or your library folder. Instead it installs to the program folder (usually under applications). You invoke it using the tools menu in DAZ.

Had no problems with installing under Catalina (10.15.6).

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2020

I think I'm missing something here.  Once I modify something with Mesh Grabber, why do I want to save it out as a morph?  I'm envisioning using mesh grabber to fix specific problems - wouldn't the morph only be needed if it kept coming up?

With dForms, you can just add another dFormer to your object and make additional changes. If something doesn't work the way you expected and you decide you don't want it, just delete the dFormer that isn't working and those changes go away.

But with Mesh Grabber, the changes are cumulative. If you make changes to the object on day 1, then come back to the scene over a period of days, making changes to that object as needed, then realize the changes you made on day 1 need to be removed, your only option is to reset all the changes and start over. On the other hand, if you created a morph out of the changes on day 1, you could just dial out the morph.

I suspect once you discover how crazy easy it is to create morphs with the Morph Editor Addon, and how much flexibility having those changes as morphs gives you, you'll find yourself creating morphs frequently.

Post edited by L'Adair on