Twin suns? Multiple moons?

kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I've seen renders that have these features in them, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this in Bryce 7.1... Is there a way to do this using the Skylab, or are these renders made of two (or more) renders composited together? Or maybe some trick with IBL/HDRI? I'm still a relative noob with Bryce, but I'm learning the software for a particular project, and this is a major stopping block. I could even get by with a method of turning my "moon" to another sun, if there is a way to get the sun/moon on screen at the same time. I've tried consulting Google, but all I can find are renders...

Thanks!

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

@kaz42 - welcome to Bryce and these forums. Multiple sun and moons. Sky Lab is no help. You can use spheres to do the job - or HDRIs can also work. If a second sun must light the scene, make the sphere transparent and put a radial without falloff in it, then give the sphere full ambient so it is bright (because the radial is invisible, only its light is visible). For moons that do not light the scene, make the sphere partly transparent to give it a phase. This transparency is good so that clouds appear to pass in front of it. The caveat is if your sky has stars and those may shine through and are not obscured. In such a case, give the sphere a rather low dffuse and light it from the desired side with a radial that only includes the moon sphere. That's it in a nutshell.

• kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the quick answer, Horo. :) The tutorials you and David have put out are the main reason I've gotten as far as I have with Bryce. :) Now that you've explained it that way, I can probably get by with just placing an extra sphere in the sky - the two suns I need for this particular world are a white main sequence star and a white dwarf, also with a red planetary nebula formed by the white dwarf's recent (in astronomical terms) change from a red giant... since the stars are similar in color, I should be able to just use that sphere and adjust the intensity of the actual sun's light depending on the two suns' positions. I may need to add light to the secondary one, just to get it to be visible through the red ambient and haze, but background stars won't be a problem. With the amount of ambient and solar light, there will probably be less than a dozen stars visible from this world under perfect conditions.

If that didn't solve it completely, you at least got me back on the right track - and saved me time banging my head against Google trying to find something that wasn't there. :) Thanks!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

@kaz42 - no problem, you're more than welcome. If you get stuck, I can always get more elaborate. Visit these forums often, many regulars are eager to help a fellow Brycer.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Another option is the new Distant Light. It can allow the projection of a flare as well as some other interactions.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177
    edited December 1969

Maybe this tutorial will help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vszeh4XFIII

I enjoyed doing it. ;)

• kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone! Lots of good ideas. Not sure how I missed that tutorial, but I'll play along with it later and see how close it gets to what I want. Between all these lighting tricks, I'm sure I can get some good results. I still haven't muddled through advanced lighting in Daz Studio yet, so I'm not surprised to find there's so much about lighting I DON'T know in Bryce. :) I'll post some renders when I get something looking shiny.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@Kaz42- please do post your result's, im sure I am not just speaking for myself by saying i would be interested to see what you come up with :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177
    edited December 1969

I agree it will be cool to see your results. my attempt can be found here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39084/P480