Commercial Use?

I'm so confused about the licensing of products here. From what I read, you can use characters that you purchase only in 2d renders? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all. If I pay for a character and then spend time manipulating that character to make it my own, why must I pay a second (much greater) fee just to be able to use it in a game? Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• You are, of course, free to spend even more time making your characters from scratch. Ultimately the vendor sets the price and terms they feel comfortable with, and then the potential purchasers see if the deal suits them - it sounds as if for you the deal isn't worth taking.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,114

If you buy a song on iTunes, do you also get the right to use that song in a game? 

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

If I pay for a character and then spend time manipulating that character to make it my own, why must I pay a second (much greater) fee just to be able to use it in a game?

You can use that character in a game all you like. You can make millions off it even. As long as you only use a 2D image of it in your game.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

I'm so confused about the licensing of products here. From what I read, you can use characters that you purchase only in 2d renders? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all. If I pay for a character and then spend time manipulating that character to make it my own, why must I pay a second (much greater) fee just to be able to use it in a game? Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

in order to use a daz asset for game you must pay the "extra interactive license", for daz stuffs this license is only $5 for now take advantage of it and you can still get "many stuffs for a really "low price".

now if you pay just the standart price and not the "interactive license aswell, then you can't use the "3D MODEL/ASSET/ANIMATION"(product), however if you use "rendered images from the 3d assets and use it to make "2d games" or visual novels or things like that which don't allow the user to direct interact with the original product then you can use the render" without have to pay for the interactive license.

While i do understand and somehow share your anger toward it, i've learned in a hard way which while most of the artists are fine and don't mind have they products used for games not all the "artists" are fine or want to have they products to be used "for games" then the interactive license nowdays is for that case", then it is a tool to "filter which artist want and which one don't want and also help daz or the artist get a little more money, you can aways wait for a "interactive license sales", times to time non daz original products get a "interactive license discount", lowering the price of the licenses to between 10 to 8 $ and in some cases with the "right combo of discounts" it can go even more lower, otherwise focus on buy daz original licenses, if you are a platinum member you can use a $6 bucket discount cupom to reduce even, for exemple you can buy 4 daz original interactive licenses each for 5 then use the cupom lead to a total of $20(it need at last you have a minimum total of $18) to go to $14 and you ending paying $3.50 for each license.

Another note you don't need to have a license while in the development stage, or if the game is for personnal use, you only need a license if you are giving the game be free or payed to "someone else" which means you can just "buy the product while it is on a good sales then only buy the license later when it's also on a good sales or when you are close to release the game, also the license while is "technically personnal" if don't means which you can "work alone" if you part of a development team and the team is using the assets it's fine as long at last one person have the the "license" to work

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

You should buy your needed DAZ Originals licenses while they are $5. There is no guarantee they'll stay at $5. 

• Ellessarr said:

in order to use a daz asset for game you must pay the "extra interactive license", for daz stuffs this license is only $5 for now take advantage of it and you can still get "many stuffs for a really "low price".

now if you pay just the standart price and not the "interactive license aswell, then you can't use the "3D MODEL/ASSET/ANIMATION"(product), however if you use "rendered images from the 3d assets and use it to make "2d games" or visual novels or things like that which don't allow the user to direct interact with the original product then you can use the render" without have to pay for the interactive license.

While i do understand and somehow share your anger toward it, i've learned in a hard way which while most of the artists are fine and don't mind have they products used for games not all the "artists" are fine or want to have they products to be used "for games" then the interactive license nowdays is for that case", then it is a tool to "filter which artist want and which one don't want and also help daz or the artist get a little more money, you can aways wait for a "interactive license sales", times to time non daz original products get a "interactive license discount", lowering the price of the licenses to between 10 to 8 $ and in some cases with the "right combo of discounts" it can go even more lower, otherwise focus on buy daz original licenses, if you are a platinum member you can use a $6 bucket discount cupom to reduce even, for exemple you can buy 4 daz original interactive licenses each for 5 then use the cupom lead to a total of $20(it need at last you have a minimum total of $18) to go to $14 and you ending paying $3.50 for each license.

Another note you don't need to have a license while in the development stage, or if the game is for personnal use, you only need a license if you are giving the game be free or payed to "someone else" which means you can just "buy the product while it is on a good sales then only buy the license later when it's also on a good sales or when you are close to release the game, also the license while is "technically personnal" if don't means which you can "work alone" if you part of a development team and the team is using the assets it's fine as long at last one person have the the "license" to work

ive fought with staff for hours over this. every member of your dev team no matter their interactions have to have licensing. ive even asked explicitly what if i only handle the assets and blanketly they say "everyone" even the person taking phone calls. they offer enterprise for this reason.