How do I ensure the size of something that is exported?

I am trying to create something for casting for personal use. I find Daz is the easiets program to do most of the work, but I then have to export it as an obj for the next stage. I had assumed that a figure that is 'life-sized' in Daz would be 'life-sized' in Blender or Hexagon or ZBrushcore, depending on which I either exported to or imported a file in.obj format. I am then trying to save that in turn as an STL file. When the end product is sent to the people with whom I am dealing they say it is tiny - an item which was probably around 2 metres in length is showing as 3 mm. How do I export to a specific size, please? Say I want the item to be 80mm long, how do I guarantee it?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Both DAZ|Studio and Hexagon work at the cm scale by default.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited October 2020

As Ascania says but -

If you make a 1m plane in Daz Studio and save it as an OBJ (with the info on the screen grab, add cm, m, etc) and import it into Hexagon then you will have a 1m plane. If you divide the plane into 100 sections then make a UV map which you can very easily turn it into a 1 meter ruler, like the wall you see in cop shows (just start with the right size plane). A bit more work (in the art package) and you can make yourself a fairly accurate ruler.

Not sure if this will work, but here's one I use 

zip
    zip
    ruler.zip
    import-export.jpg
    965 x 578 - 103K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Trial and error ... a few editions back the nice working arrangement for size went off, and yes they know about and well ... anyhow so we just have to find what works.

If one sends over the bridge to Hexagon, then back over the bridge to D/S, the sizing will be correct.

{at least on the edition of D/S I'm using, not the most recent one}, exporting out .obj files to Carrara sizing [but watch whether or not you want groups], then importing back using Carrara settings, works.

Exporting out .obj from Hexagon using m, but then importing the same thing back in using .cm works.

Anyway, trial and error, use a simple cube or something like that and export/import using various settings until they match. Keep notes. Write tutorials.

Cheers,

C.

• Using the correct preset in DS 9which will handle inverting the scale, depending on direction) and not doing any scaling in the other applciation will always work - the main issue will be working out the correct scale in one direction to set the preset up, though all of the existing ones I have been able to test are correct.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited November 2020

Thank you Richard. I normally do not have any problems, maybe that's because I use the above ruler for reference.

Edit - As a quick test I imported the ruler it into DS, added the texture (which was a bit fuzzy) and created a 1 meter cube and it looks pretty good.

Not sure about the bridge, I only use that for simple morphs.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Thank you Richard. I normally do not have any problems, maybe that's because I use the above ruler for reference.

Edit - As a quick test I imported the ruler it into DS, added the texture (which was a bit fuzzy) and created a 1 meter cube and it looks pretty good.

Don't bother with the bridge. It runs at a completely different scale to everything else and is really only good for morphs.

• Ascania said:

Don't bother with the bridge. It runs at a completely different scale to everything else and is really only good for morphs.

If the Bridge didn't use the correct scale it would be useless for morphs, they'd either inflate or deflate the model.

Ascania said:

If the Bridge didn't use the correct scale it would be useless for morphs, they'd either inflate or deflate the model.

The bridge scales correctly as long as you bring the item in via the bridge and take it back to Studio the same way. But doing something like saving it as an OBJ to then go via morph loader (because you may want to create a whole batch of morphs) or modeling around the imported figure totally buggers up the scale in my experience.

So Studio-to-Hex via Bridge, morph, take back to studio the same way works okay. Every other endeavour doesnt.

• MJWMJW Posts: 511

Thanks for these thoughts, which are interesting. I am trying to work out how to take, say, a man, export him as an obj file and then from Hexagon, or Blender, or ZBrushcore, export it as an STL file which is not human-sixed but 3 inches tall. If that makes sense..

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

You need to know the various scales used by different applications.  For instance, Daz Studio to Blender is 1%.  In Blender you have very good measuring tools, so you can resize there to whatever dimensions you want.  Make sure you apply the location, rotation and scale (Ctrl A) and export at 100%.

There is a very good Studio to Blender bridge, but I believe that is only for Gen8 figures, which probably explains the lack of further Hex development?

• I have figure import/export scale-sizing numbers written down somewhere for use between Hexagon and Poser if someone needs them.

• blutobluto Posts: 823

ShawnDriscoll said:

ve figure import/export scale-sizing numbers written down somewhere for use between Hexagon and Poser if someone needs them.

i could use those

please

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,991

Some .obj files import into Hexagon to the correct size if one uses either the "m" or the "cm" option at 0.41 value.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited May 2023

Export from DS at 100% import at 100% it will work in hexagon.  Hexagon and DazStudio have the exact same scale.

Poser  on the other hand has an infinitely small scale  and messes up all sorts of sizing.  the Poser multiplier is approx.  -24000

That is why sometimes,  people say they imported an obj from poser but they can't find it. The reality is its there,  they just can't see it.  Zoom in on zero position (0,0,0,) until you find that miniscule import.  If its in the scene tree it is usually there,  just really, really, really small. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • SanbieSanbie Posts: 11
    edited May 2023

Hi Sanbie here...when I made clothes for V4 I used to import at 1.000 and export at  0.001 it always worked and was the right size for V4...I tried it out on LaFemme and it worked..

Post edited by Sanbie on