Redacted

cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
edited December 2022 in The Commons

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,577
    edited December 1969

The DS mats are in the Materials library alongside the .mc6 files.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,814
    edited December 1969

I see the dsa files in Windows explorer, in the same library folder as the mc6 files, but I don't see the dsa files show up anywhere in the Content Library. How do we load them?

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

The DS Mats should load by default in Studio when you click on the poser mat icon.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,215
    edited December 1969

Which version of DS are you using? DS3 won't show the Materials library - you wil need to move the DS files to the Pose library, and use my PrepDS files script to create matching pz2s, or to a DS content directory in order to use the items in DS3. In DS4 there should be no problem - the script will run when you double-click the Poser file (which should show a scroll icon in the top-left corner to let you know it has a "sidecar" file).

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

DS3 won't show the Materials library - you wil need to move the DS files to the Pose library, and use my PrepDS files script to create matching pz2s.
    Where would I find your PrepDS files script?

In DS4 there should be no problem - the script will run when you double-click the Poser file (which should show a scroll icon in the top-left corner to let you know it has a "sidecar" file).

I see those in DS 3 when a vendor has both Poser and DS files in the same folder. Of course I didn't know it was called a "sidecar" file, so that's good to know. ;-)
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

The DS mats are in the Materials library alongside the .mc6 files.

Looks like I'm spending tomorrow reorganising my materials folder! I didn't realise a) how integrated it now was, and b) that in some cases materials would only be found in there.

Only 861 top-level folders

Post edited by DWG on
    edited July 2012

Whoops - double post

Post edited by DWG on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

is this some sort of weird prank? Since when do creators put DS MAT files in the material folder?

edited July 2012

Barubary said:
    is this some sort of weird prank? Since when do creators put DS MAT files in the material folder?

It does actually make sense, as the parallel to putting them in the Pose folder hierarchy alongside their equivalent .PZ2s, the problem is with Studio prior to 4.0 not being .MC6 compatible, Studio only types like me are out of the habit at looking in Materials!

Post edited by DWG on
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure "sidecar" is the official name, but it's a description I've seen used for other kinds of companion file so I'm borrowing it.

A script will be run in place of any identically named Poser file that DS recognises - but without a bit of custom-coding that's really useful only for settings files (poses, materials, lights and cameras - one exception would be a DForm preset alongside a Poser magnet set in a .pp2 file). However, with ahdn editing it is possible to alter a materials preset to load a pp2 or cr2 and apply the DS materials to the contents.

My PrepDS files script is here http://www.4shared.com/zip/D54vJVp1/Prep_DS_files.html - unfortunately 4Shared now requires an account to download, I will try to get my scripts moved to Kendall's site and post updated threads for them.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

My PrepDS files script is here http://www.4shared.com/zip/D54vJVp1/Prep_DS_files.html - unfortunately 4Shared now requires an account to download, I will try to get my scripts moved to Kendall's site and post updated threads for them.

That's fine Richard, I don't need it any time in the near future, but it would be nice to have.
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited July 2012

FWIW, what I did was to move the folders of .mc6 files into the Props library alongside the actual prop-loading files, then rename all the .mc6 files to .pz2. Works perfectly, in D|S3 and in D|S4.

Although I'd hate to need to do this for a product with dozens or hundreds of materials settings...

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

That's fine Richard, I don't need it any time in the near future, but it would be nice to have.
    I agree. :)

I didn't even know you had a script for doing this. I always did it manual, made as many -empty- pz2 files as needed to use the ds mats in my poser structured runtimes. It would be nice if I could get your script without having to make an account at yet another download site.
    Thanks in advance. :-)

Love, Jeanne
    edited December 1969

Open Command prompt
    type disc letter followed by a colon, then return
    type cd, then drag folder with files into Command prompt, hit return
    type ren *.mc6 *.pz2, then return.

edited December 1969

Open Command prompt
    type disc letter followed by a colon, then return
    type cd, then drag folder with files into Command prompt, hit return
    type ren *.mc6 *.pz2, then return.

You can drag a folder into it? I didn't know that. I thought Command prompt got me into the DOS environment. Hmmm, have to try that.

Love, Jeanne

edited December 1969

Yes! That worked! Thank you. And here I was thinking DOS didn't have any secrets anymore for me. I must have forgotten a lot from those days way,way back. :lol:

edited December 1969

FWIW, what I did was to move the folders of .mc6 files into the Props library alongside the actual prop-loading files, then rename all the .mc6 files to .pz2. Works perfectly, in D|S3 and in D|S4.

Although I'd hate to need to do this for a product with dozens or hundreds of materials settings...

No need for the renames if you only use DS4.0, it's only DS3 that needs them as .pz2s.

I actually do this for all texture and pose files, drag them to be sub-directories of their parent item. Studio mat files also get the same treatment if the parent sits in the Poser hierarchy rather than the Studio one, turning them into sidecar files (and creating dummy PZ2s if need be - instances where PZ2s and their Studio equivalents have different names are very irritating). I've gradually been collapsing down the poser hierarchy, so not only have the pz2s been moved, but all PP2s and CR2s are now found in organised categories in runtime/libraries/characters (the caveat is some content is written to only work from the directory it's installed into, but it's usually relatively simple to correct that if you're comfortable editing Poser files).

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    Barubary said:

It does actually make sense, as the parallel to putting them in the Pose folder hierarchy alongside their equivalent .PZ2s, the problem is with Studio prior to 4.0 not being .MC6 compatible, Studio only types like me are out of the habit at looking in Materials!

Of course it does technically make sense. But when 99% of all DS materials are put into either the runtime's pose folder or some DS folder, then putting 1% of them into another folder is kind of confusing :)