Questions about Genesis 2

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just ran across Gen X for Genesis 2 product, and saw a 66% discount for owners of GenX that will expire on Aug 15th (and there's no upgrade path so looks like you either do that upgrade now or never)

So I was trying to figure out if Genesis 2 had significant benefits over Genesis 1.

Any links about improvements made in Genesis 2 or comments about how it works in Carrara would be welcome.

(Generally speaking, I'm interested in animation as opposed to stills)

Thanks

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 system is not fully supported yet in Carrara, so buying stuff for it might require a bit of DS > Carrara workflow. But with 8.5's ability to load in DUF files, Genesis 2/Carrara users have been finding ways to get it all working. Sorry I cannot provide links... gotta get to work! :(

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dartanbeck - I'm trying to decide if Genesis 2 is something I'd use in the future - so assuming DAZ eventually gets it fully compatible with Carrara that's not necessarily a deal breaker. Didn't know if Genesis 2 had better autofit or other features than Genesis 1. Will see if anyone else chimes in. (and thanks for your help on another thread with 3d paint / texturing) - not sure if I replied to that one yet!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

In general Genesis 2 provides a bit better topology than the original, and the division back to male/female versions seems to have improved cloths fit and textures just a bit. I've had good luck with G2F, others have had more problems. Geografting doesn't really work in Carrara with either 1 or 2.

If DAZ does every decide to give us C9 with improved Genesis 2 support, then I would say definitely go with it. Almost all of the new stuff is for G2, so with Genesis 1 you will be limited for the most part to what is available now. I'm using G2F about as much as G1 now (maybe a bit more). I don't buy a lot, but there has been some G2F stuff come out that I wanted and was quite nice. So far it's all worked quite well (Poke Away 2 helps A LOT).

I'd say get it if there are some gensis 1 characters you would like to use with G2. I picked it up, haven't used it yet, but I may soon, because you can transfer the muscle morphs - with the flexions, from G1.

Hope this helps.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Yeah I'm finding myself in the same quandary as Mosk. When I got 8.5 I ended up purchasing a lot of Genesis 1 stuff but really don't much use it currently as I found that I'm sticking mostly with V4 and M4 instead (it was the massive number of pose sets for generation4 I've got that would be essentially made useless with genesis that was really the deciding factor for me, since I tend to draw on my existing pose sets so much. And also since with the Perfect V4 morphs I think V4 bends just as well or better and I like the way she renders a bit better too. Genesis has the advantage of having almost no poke through fixing to do when I use it, which would make it far superior for animations I think, but since I do almost exclusively still images I've stuck with V4/M4).

On the other hand though, I don't want to miss out on some of the sale prices I'm seeing for Genesis2 like the Genx2 converter for 66% off that's going on now. Because what if C9 actually does make Genesis2 my eventual go-to favorite figure to use?

I wish someone from DAZ would say *something* about Carrara 9's future, it would be very helpful in making a decision about how to proceed. I really do like Genx for genesis, it works very well. So I'm sure Genx2 probably works great as well... I'll probably pick it up before the sale ends just to be safe (and then kick myself later when I realize I'm never going to use Gensis2, lol)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Posted this in a thread in the commons but seems to fit here as well.

For those frustrated with Genesis 2 in Carrara, I illustrate 3 uses of the G2F’s Aiko 6 character in Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44033/P210

The link has step-by-step guides for

(1) loading a character in Studio where it is morphed/clothed/posed and then exported for use in Carrara (similar to how the G2F would be used in Bryce),

(2) loading the G2F directly in Carrara, modeling clothes, then using Studio to convert the clothes to conformable figures, which are then loaded in Carrara and “fit to” the Aiko 6 shape for posing etc. (similar to how clothes could be modeled in Hexagon), and

(3) loading the G2F directly in Carrara, applying Carrara’s dynamic hair, saving the hair for future use, and then morphing the G2F to Aiko 6 (which I don’t believe can be done in Bryce or Hexagon).