Black Eye Syndrome

em53em53 Posts: 32
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,
New user here. I'm trying to render a default V6 with Montfort's Carrara shader. I'm getting solid black eyes and lashes. I do have light through transparency checked in both places according to what I've found here in the forums. I know that the transparency thing worked in earlier versions with V4. Is this something to do with V6 or with Carrara 8.5? And how can I fix it?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Ringo is a pretty prolific poster here, so if you don't get an answer right away, try PMins him. If this were loaded from D/S, I'd suggest checking to see if there is a multiplier in the alpha or transparency channel. I use C7.2 Pro, so I can't use Genesis and I don't have any direct experience with them.

BTW, how was the figure loaded into Carrara and how did you apply Ringo's shader to the figure?

• em53em53 Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Thanks for replying. I do not have a clue about checking for a multiplier in the alpha. I set up V6 in DS, applied the pose I wanted and saved it as a character preset. I then loaded that preset into Carrara. I then selected actor and then wnt to the shading tab and dragged the base shader and dropped it on the multi-colored ball. I was using one of Howie Farkes scenes for a background (if the lighting has anything to do with it.) Except for the eyes and lashes, everything looked fine.

BTW: Did you ever finish that Dells scene you were working on? I'm still interested in it.

edited December 1969

I'm still plugging away with it. I need to do a little research on how best to optimize some things I'm having issues with.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

Many of HF scenes have light through transparency disabled

edited December 1969

I've noticed that. Does it cause a problem to enable it along with sky lighting for those scenes?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

Will just take longer to render
    Is what would cause your black eyes as eye reflection and lashes transmapped

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

em53 said:
    Hi,
    New user here. I'm trying to render a default V6 with Montfort's Carrara shader. I'm getting solid black eyes and lashes. I do have light through transparency checked in both places according to what I've found here in the forums. I know that the transparency thing worked in earlier versions with V4. Is this something to do with V6 or with Carrara 8.5? And how can I fix it?

Thanks for any replies.

Greetings,
    Here is how to apply the shaders.

1) From the Instances Tab select "Actor".
    2) Applying the shaders drag and drop the selected shader on to the multi-color "Multiple Shading Domains" sphere.
    3) This should apply the shader properly to Victoria 6.
    See the attached image file.

applyshaders.jpg
    1773 x 1029 - 882K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

em53 said:
    Thanks for replying. I do not have a clue about checking for a multiplier in the alpha. I set up V6 in DS, applied the pose I wanted and saved it as a character preset. I then loaded that preset into Carrara. I then selected actor and then wnt to the shading tab and dragged the base shader and dropped it on the multi-colored ball. I was using one of Howie Farkes scenes for a background (if the lighting has anything to do with it.) Except for the eyes and lashes, everything looked fine.

BTW: Did you ever finish that Dells scene you were working on? I'm still interested in it.

Question, With Howie Farkes scene are you using? Maybe the light setting on the scene are causing the render issues.
    If you could tell us the type of lights in the scene etc.

edited December 1969

Thank you for replying. That is exactly how I applied the shader. I am using Maple Meadows for the backdrop scene with its default lighting. There is a Sun and a fake GI. Is the fake GI the problem, conflicting with the sky lighting? I did just try the same scene with V5, setup the same way, but with Daz shader. Same result, so it isn't the shader.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

I'm just guessing here because Carrara is busy at the moment. You might try increasing the maximum ray depth value. The default value in Carrara is 8, but as I recall Howie's scenes reset it to 4, There may not be enough ray depth to get the proper amount of light through to the eyes, and back out to be seen. I wouldn't think it would be a problem with Genesis, but Genesis 2 with both the cornea and the eye reflection surfaces I could see a maximum ray depth of 4 not being enough.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2014

As Wendy was saying, if you have light through transparency deselected, the light will not pass through the transparencies (alpha maps) in the eyes and lashes, turning them black.

Go to the render room and make sure that "Transparency" and "Light through Trans." is checked! ;)

EDIT: Click the image to enlarge

LightThruTrans.jpg
    1679 x 746 - 739K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

And if the Skylight is used, you'll need the second Light through Transparency enabled, which I think you had mentioned. Still, it couldn't hurt to check....

Fake GI should not interfere with transparency. Using the Skylight with a fake GI set-up may also wash out the scene, so I would leave it off as it is a form of GI used to simulate reflected atmospheric light.

edited December 1969

Thank you all for your replies, but especially Dartanbeck. I think I've got it resolved now. Dartanbeck's picture up above showed me what was wrong. I had understood I needed BOTH Light through Transparency checked. I did not realize I needed Transparency checked instead of the second Light through Transparency. I did try eliminating the fake GI which didn't make any difference. I'm re-rendering now and it looks much more promising

edited December 1969

As Wendy was saying, if you have light through transparency deselected, the light will not pass through the transparencies (alpha maps) in the eyes and lashes, turning them black.

Go to the render room and make sure that "Transparency" and "Light through Trans." is checked! ;)

EDIT: Click the image to enlarge

Dart's on a roll!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I was stumped until Wendy spoke up. She helped someone else with that before. But sometimes it's just that darned screen-grab that saves the day!
    Glad I could help! ;)