Suddenly lost all my ontent in Daz Studio

lightandmagiclightandmagic Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I opened a file inDaz, edited it, saved it as DFX and then looked for other content, except it was no longer there. I closed the program down, opened it again and all content had disappeared. Using Windows 7. Any clues?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you using (Help > About DAZ Studio), and where are you looking, Smart Content or the Content Library pane?

Content will always appear in the Content Library pane (assuming that the paths are set up correctly) but Smart Content relies on Metadata to populate the pane. For Smart Content to work correctly, the CMS (Content Management Service) must be running.

CMS starts when you first boot up, and it should appear in the Task Manager under Processes (Processes from All Users). If it has stopped for some reason, then you could try restarting it from Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D and see if that corrects it.

Can you see your content in the Content Library pane?

• lightandmagiclightandmagic Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply. I have the latest version of DAZ Studio, installed when I received my new PC four weeks ago. Unfortunately it didn't work launching from Start. There is no content anywhere showing, not in the right hand content library either, nothing at all, as if nothing had been installed although I had hundreds of items and been using them in the past, quite regularly.
    Should I uninstall and reinstall DAZ? Do I have to reinstall all the content again?

edited December 1969

How did you install the content, using DIM (DAZ Install Manager) or by yourself?

If you used DIM, then it will all have installed to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library by default, unless you changed it.

Please look in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and make sure that you have the path shown above, listed as BOTH DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats in that window.

Unfortunately it didn’t work launching from Start.

Did you find Content Management service in the DAZ 3D folder, and it didn't run?
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Should I uninstall and reinstall DAZ? Do I have to reinstall all the content again?

Whenever something like this happens, it usually isn't solved by re-installing D|S, and it almost always isn't solved by re-installing all of your content. One possiblity is that your content is exactly where it's always been, but D|S has lost track of the pointers to your Content Library location, as JimmyC mentioned upthread. Another possibility is that your content database has become corrupted and needs to be rebuilt.

Note that this content database is completely separate from both the D|S program and the content library, this is why re-installing everything will usually make absolutely no progress in solving your problem. This database is used by D|S to display the Smart Content, Categories, and Products views of your content — when you look at these views, you aren't looking at your content, you're looking at a filtered and sorted database list of pointers to your content. Only the Content Library view of D|S and Poser Formats looks directly at the actual content files as they're stored on your computer. It's unusual for this to fail, a look at the Content Directory Management settings should help point to a solution.

• ssweetessweete Posts: 115
    edited August 2014

I received my new PC four weeks ago. Unfortunately it didn’t work launching from Start. There is no content anywhere showing, not in the right hand content library either, nothing at all, as if nothing had been installed although I had hundreds of items and been using them in the past, quite regularly.

After you installed studio on this new pc did you install all your content or was it saved from the old pc?

Post edited by ssweete on
    edited December 1969

Whenever something like this happens, it usually isn't solved by re-installing D|S, and it almost always isn't solved by re-installing all of your content. One possiblity is that your content is exactly where it's always been, but D|S has lost track of the pointers to your Content Library location, as JimmyC mentioned upthread. Another possibility is that your content database has become corrupted and needs to be rebuilt.

Note that this content database is completely separate from both the D|S program and the content library, this is why re-installing everything will usually make absolutely no progress in solving your problem. This database is used by D|S to display the Smart Content, Categories, and Products views of your content — when you look at these views, you aren't looking at your content, you're looking at a filtered and sorted database list of pointers to your content. Only the Content Library view of D|S and Poser Formats looks directly at the actual content files as they're stored on your computer. It's unusual for this to fail, a look at the Content Directory Management settings should help point to a solution.

Somehow the program seems to be corrupted. Uninstalling it can't make it any worse, can it? As you said it lost track of all the content. I installed it all from scratch by the way, not from an old computer. I started off with a clean sheet. I hope reinstalling will do something, because content database management doesn't do anything.I just hope it will track down the content after install. I'll feed back to you guys. Thanks

edited December 1969

If you used DIM, then it will all have installed to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library by default, unless you changed it.

Please look in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and make sure that you have the path shown above, listed as BOTH DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats in that window.

Please have a look at this again from my previous post.
    If the content path is not listed correctly in the Content Directory Manager, it will NOT appear inside DAZ Studio.
    edited December 1969

Please have a look at this again from my previous post.
    If the content path is not listed correctly in the Content Directory Manager, it will NOT appear inside DAZ Studio.

Thanks for your reply. Couldn't find a path, probably because I installed it on my bigger HD. I think I messed up here big time and already uninstalled the program only to find trying to download and reinstall failed, both manually and via Install Manager, the latest version of which I installed.

This has become a serious issue since I am in the middle of a project for a magazine with copy date due Friday. Poser will have to be the interim solution, but any form of education is really welcome, especially regarding instal malfunction. Thank you all.

• aaron-2665777aaron-2665777 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

probably too late but make sure content management service is started, that fixed it for me.