Not intending to diminish/denigrate a Commercial Product being sold right now, but...

The appearance of this commercial product "Generations: 3D Figure Evolutions" has brought something that's been a big bug in my crawl for sometime to my attention:

What's being sold is essentially a set of tutorial videos on how-to make potentially unknown legacy people/clothing products compatible to newer generations' clothing/people products. That's all well and good, but it doesn't really address a BIG issue in identifying WHAT the original target figures were supposed to be for those clothing items--especially as more and more old DAZ material is getting culled from the marketplace, so that even looking up the past history of an outfit is forever blocked to us! This tutorial, I'm pretty sure, still makes an assumption that we, as buyers, have some idea where/when/which generation product that we're trying to adjust to the new figures!

Would it be too much for vendors to just include something in the Metadata to point to WHAT/WHICH generation figures their products are supposed to be used with rather than posting ONLY on their sale pages--so that we can see such information IN the DAZ Studio product listings? Or for God's sake, update the listings in all those Product Library pages where we bought stuff, which is becoming more and more frequent the ONLY source for me to find out that I ever bought something (but I still DON'T know which figure it's supposed to be for!!)

PLEASE!?

Comments

• I really wish they would name the figure clothing is for in legacy stuff that is culled too as the product library and often the readme is no help there or at least archive a store page with it.

I guess if it's no longer being sold it's not a priority 

but for the OP

the V2, M2 stuff generally just says Vicky or Michael if thats any help

• One thing you could do is to try and fit a piece of clothing to every character. The one that doesn't auto-fit is the target of the product (yeah it sucks, I know).

One complain I have is that loads of times there's a product made for G3 and G8, but in the smart content it doesn't say which is which, you just have the same product twice, so you have to guess and if you got wrong you have to delete and use the other. Small thing, I know, but it bother me. I don't think this problem exists if you use the the content gallery, only the smart content, I believe.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    lpsrocha said:

One thing you could do is to try and fit a piece of clothing to every character. The one that doesn't auto-fit is the target of the product (yeah it sucks, I know).

One complain I have is that loads of times there's a product made for G3 and G8, but in the smart content it doesn't say which is which, you just have the same product twice, so you have to guess and if you got wrong you have to delete and use the other. Small thing, I know, but it bother me. I don't think this problem exists if you use the the content gallery, only the smart content, I believe.

You don't have to guess.  Just open the Additional Information window beneath Smart Content.  Select the item, and you'll be able to figure out what character the item is intended for.

• not much below generation 4 has metadata so smart content won't show anything of use

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    Sevrin said:
    lpsrocha said:

One thing you could do is to try and fit a piece of clothing to every character. The one that doesn't auto-fit is the target of the product (yeah it sucks, I know).

You don't have to guess.  Just open the Additional Information window beneath Smart Content.  Select the item, and you'll be able to figure out what character the item is intended for.

Yes, I can confirm this works. 

Nevertheless, I would still prefer if the generations were in separate folders within the smart content to eliminate the need for this. It can get a bit tedious with more complicated outfits and their materials.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    Sevrin said:
    lpsrocha said:

Nevertheless, I would still prefer if the generations were in separate folders within the smart content to eliminate the need for this. It can get a bit tedious with more complicated outfits and their materials.

I'd settle for tons of stuff not ending up in Lost & Found.  I agree that stuff like that should be easy to see, but with Daz having a hard time getting downloads and metadata straight and keeping broken stuff out of the store, I would not hold my breath.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:
    lpsrocha said:

I'd settle for tons of stuff not ending up in Lost & Found.  I agree that stuff like that should be easy to see, but with Daz having a hard time getting downloads and metadata straight and keeping broken stuff out of the store, I would not hold my breath.

Oh, don't even ger me started on so many new products ending in the Lost & Found...frown