Carrara 3D Painting vs Blacksmith 3D

Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am strongly considering purchasing Blacksmith 3d for its painting abilities. I currently use Carrara for 3d painting and I'd like to know how the two products compare. Or better stated; is Blacksmith 3d a worthy investment for someone who already has 3d painting in Carrara? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

It really depends on what type of 3D painting you do (or want to do). For human figures, BS3D has a much better tool set than Carrara does. BS3D makes painting on the 3D figure directly from the reference photo quite easy (this same process can be used for any model that you want to transfer the photo texture directly to the model). In general, I feel BS3D has a more feature rich and refined tool-set for painting/texturing 3D models than Carrara.

In most cases, you would want to do your UV mapping in either Carrara, or another application, because BS3D makes an "exploded" UV map (for lack of a better term) where all the polygons maintain a consistent scale, but are literally scattered all over the UV map This is great for painting on the model, but unusable for working in a 2D program like photoshop.

There is a free demo, you should give it a quick test run to make sure it does what you need (just go to the BS3D forum over at Rendo, and you can find the link to the download there). What I like about it is it is fairly easy to learn, is really designed to work well with Poser content/figures (cr2). and makes the process of transferring textures directly from photos onto the model quite simple (though for fine details you might still want to use photoshop, gimp, etc.).

Other options would be Blender (much greater learning curve) and 3DCoat (you can get the Personal/Educational version for $99 - but your texture size is limited to 2048x2048 and non-commercial use). But at the current sale price, I think BS3D is a very good deal.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Wow. I haven't checked out Blacksmith in a L O N G time. Not sure if this helps, but just in case, Mec4D is giving away Deep Paint, but charges a dollar for web server.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

because BS3D makes an “exploded” UV map (for lack of a better term) where all the polygons maintain a consistent scale, but are literally scattered all over the UV map This is great for painting on the model, but unusable for working in a 2D program like photoshop.

I believe the correct term is Atlas UV :)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchased it. I've been eying it for a few years now and with the sale I couldn't resist. I will look into Deep Paint as well, thanks for that link, Dart!!!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Wow. I haven't checked out Blacksmith in a L O N G time. Not sure if this helps, but just in case, Mec4D is giving away Deep Paint, but charges a dollar for web server.

you can get it here too -
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/image-editing.php

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link. I'd still love to paint on objects but that is out of my budget at the moment. :)

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I like 3D Coat myself and the Educational version is only $99.

The interesting thing about the Education version is they offer it to hobbyists, the unemployed and to Senior Citizens for the same discount. Not many companies are willing do that.

The policy on the 3D-Coat Educational version have been changed. We offer 3D-Coat to students, hobbyists and amateurs pursuing non-commercial goals, so as senior people and unemployed at $99 US.

If you are a university or a school representative please come here.

Limitation of Education version:
    1) no commercial usage
    2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
    3) layers amount is limited to 7

I also have Zbrush, but almost have to re-learn everything every time I use it. :)

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

The interesting thing about the Education version is they offer it to hobbyists, the unemployed and to Senior Citizens for the same discount. Not many companies are willing do that.

The policy on the 3D-Coat Educational version have been changed. We offer 3D-Coat to students, hobbyists and amateurs pursuing non-commercial goals, so as senior people and unemployed at $99 US.

If you are a university or a school representative please come here.

Limitation of Education version:
    1) no commercial usage
    2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
    3) layers amount is limited to 7

I also have Zbrush, but almost have to re-learn everything every time I use it. :)

Thats what I was going to suggest is 3D-Coat Edu version.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchased it. I've been eying it for a few years now and with the sale I couldn't resist. I will look into Deep Paint as well, thanks for that link, Dart!!!
    My pleasure. I've never tried it, I just noticed it checking out Cath's cool stuff! ;)
    Awesome! So you've bought Blacksmith 3D?
    I hope you come back and let us know what you think!
    I have finally got myself to the point where I like to be with Carrara's 3D Paint tool, so I doubt that I'll be joining you with that... but who knows, right? GKDantas and Ringo Monfort sell some cool brushes for Carrara's Paint, and so I've bought them all, and find "the more, the merrier" to be very true when it comes to brushes in 3D painting. But more so, I have also been honing my UV Mapping skills too, since 3D painting turns out much more as expected with a good UV Map.

I can't wait to hear how you like it. I'm excited when I buy a cool new app like that!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

you can paint in Sculptris too

edited December 1969

I am strongly considering purchasing Blacksmith 3d for its painting abilities. I currently use Carrara for 3d painting and I'd like to know how the two products compare. Or better stated; is Blacksmith 3d a worthy investment for someone who already has 3d painting in Carrara? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

You can paint with Carrara? What version of Carrara allows painting.

Thanks

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:

Thanks
    "Pro" versions of Carrara at least since Carrara 6 have the 3D Paint tools. Page 632 (644 of the pdf) in the Carrara 7 (rev G) manual, which now ships with Carrara 8.5 (available Here) has instructions on its use.

WARNING: 3D Painting can become HIGHLY addicting!

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:

Thanks

"Pro" versions of Carrara at least since Carrara 6 have the 3D Paint tools. Page 632 (644 of the pdf) in the Carrara 7 (rev G) manual, which now ships with Carrara 8.5 (available Here) has instructions on its use.

WARNING: 3D Painting can become HIGHLY addicting!

I have an older version that is not pro which I bought off a friend. Too bad, I loved carrara.

edited August 2014

KimberSue said:

I have an older version that is not pro which I bought off a friend. Too bad, I loved carrara.

Keep an eye at DAZ 3D. They offer it up pretty inexpensive, fairly often throughout the year.

But there is also another way: Look for a book called "Figures, Characters and Avatars", by Les Pardew.
    Not sure if it will work properly, but Here's a Link to it at Amazon
    There's a 'Second Edition', but I don't know if that one comes with the DVD. I would also avoid Kindle or other non-paperback versions, as it's the DVD you want, as it includes a legal installment of Hexagon and Carrara 6 Pro along with DAZ Studio 2.3 and a whole pile of excellent DAZ 3D content. When I added that link, Amazon was selling the book in the US for 23.51 to 28.95 for a New copy. Then just contact DAZ support and mail them proof of purchase. That way you'll get 'Upgrade' pricing if you ever have the opportunity to slip into a newer version!
    But the book is pretty cool, too! Les did a good job!

EDIT: I just noticed that, at the bottom of the home page at Carrara Cafe, on the right under "Useful Links" is the same link as above, so it should work! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

KimberSue said:

Keep an eye at DAZ 3D. They offer it up pretty inexpensive, fairly often throughout the year.

But there is also another way: Look for a book called "Figures, Characters and Avatars", by Les Pardew.
    Not sure if it will work properly, but Here's a Link to it at Amazon
    There's a 'Second Edition', but I don't know if that one comes with the DVD. I would also avoid Kindle or other non-paperback versions, as it's the DVD you want, as it includes a legal installment of Hexagon and Carrara 6 Pro along with DAZ Studio 2.3 and a whole pile of excellent DAZ 3D content. When I added that link, Amazon was selling the book in the US for 23.51 to 28.95 for a New copy. Then just contact DAZ support and mail them proof of purchase. That way you'll get 'Upgrade' pricing if you ever have the opportunity to slip into a newer version!
    But the book is pretty cool, too! Les did a good job!

EDIT: I just noticed that, at the bottom of the home page at Carrara Cafe, on the right under "Useful Links" is the same link as above, so it should work! ;)

I plan to take a closer look at this Carrara today. It on a windows 7 computer I bought off a friend and the software was on there. When I ask, they said I could keep the software however I only bought the computer to render on and never gave it a second thought. But I really want to try my hand at painting on object so I going to get second look to make sure what version it is. However I pretty sure its very old version. I tossed every last dime into 3D Artist Network (web design is my strong suit) so there no way to afford an update at this time. I guess I'll have to start saving for it. :) Thanks for the book link, I will call the locally library and see if I can get a copy for the city sent out.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited August 2014

Currently 8.5 is on sale for $120 but with a PC+ you can get it for about $60.
    I just picked it up to try and see how it goes.

Post edited by chickenman on
    edited December 1969

I just looked and the the pro version that allows painting is $171.00 which is way out of my price range.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

KimberSue said:

I just looked and the the pro version that allows painting is $171.00 which is way out of my price range.

is that price in your cart ?

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    KimberSue said:

That's the price for 8.5 Pro that's in the store with no discounts or Platinum Club

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    KimberSue said:

That's the price for 8.5 Pro that's in the store with no discounts or Platinum Club

I don't have a Platinum Club membership any longer. I hope to get it again one of these days. :)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

What you could do that would make it easier to afford is to get the PC+ quarterly for $24 to get the discounts wich is still cheaper.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

What you could do that would make it easier to afford is to get the PC+ quarterly for $24 to get the discounts wich is still cheaper.

and the 'real' price doesn't seem to show till its in the cart either

edited December 1969

Isn't that something?

A package THIS COOL for SO LITTLE?

Sure... it's still a pile of cash, to be certain. But compared to other software, that's a steal, even if you don't count the loads of content that you get along with it!

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

I own Blacksmith3D but I don't use it. I can not stand the interface. It is a very awkward UI for me. I am a big fan of 3DCoat. It's UI is very familiar. It's like an extension of Carrara and Photoshop in many ways. It's UV tools are outstanding. You can generate a near perfect map in minutes, and its 3D painting tools are top notch as well.

Of course 3DCoat does much more than just map and paint. It's a pretty decent voxel sculpting app as well. :)