Placing a tattoo on the back of the neck

edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm trying to place a tattoo on the back of the neck of V6 in LIE but it doesn't seem to work. I can only place it on the front but as I keep moving it towards the back, it seems to disappear under what looks like another texture layer which I don't know how to access. When I open Neck in the Surfaces, there's only RyBelle_Torso texture file.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is there a more intelligent way of doing this?

Cheers!

Capture1234.PNG
516 x 366 - 384K

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

There is a UV seam straight up the middle of the back of the neck not only on V6, but on all DAZ figures I've ever seen. The only way to put a tattoo there is to put half of it on each side of the seam. On the 2D texture you're putting half of it far out on each border of the texture in that area. It's hard to make them match up without using projection in a 3d program, but it is technically possible.

• edited December 1969

Yes, I've figured out that much that I'll need to split the tattoo in two halves - but where on earth is the back of the neck on the texture? Can you please post a screenshot or give me the coordinates as I think I've tried moving the tattoo every which way and no luck so far.

Alternatively, in a couple of words, how would I go about it in a 3D program e.g. Blender?

Many thanks.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Here is a dropbox screenshot of where the back of the neck is on the torso UV (it's about the same place on most DAZ UVs). Please view full size. This is in my copy of Blender. https://www.dropbox.com/s/94za59e7fxyz3qj/Screenshot 2014-08-18 18.00.26.png

There is no short answer to how to project across seams in Blender. Here is a longer tutorial on one way to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDEAas4L2Y

Another way would be to use texture paint and create a brush of the tattoo to stamp on.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

but as I keep moving it towards the back, it seems to disappear under what looks like another texture layer which I don't know how to access.

That isn't a texture layer, it looks like you're getting close to the border between the Neck surface region and (I think) the Torso. Only the Neck has its settings changed to use the LIE file as its texture, every other surface on your figure is still using the unaltered original texture. That's why the LIE addition is gradually vanishing, more and more of it is moving out of the part of the figure that uses the Neck surface.
  • edited December 1969

Here is a dropbox screenshot of where the back of the neck is on the torso UV (it's about the same place on most DAZ UVs). Please view full size. This is in my copy of Blender. https://www.dropbox.com/s/94za59e7fxyz3qj/Screenshot 2014-08-18 18.00.26.png

There is no short answer to how to project across seams in Blender. Here is a longer tutorial on one way to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDEAas4L2Y

Another way would be to use texture paint and create a brush of the tattoo to stamp on.

So that's where the back of the neck is! I thought those protrusion were arms ;-) I tried placing the tattoo there as well to try and understand what it actually was but a bit lower so it was not in the neck area.
    Thank you, I will give it another try tonight using your screenshot as reference.

The Blender solution is probably beyond me at this point as I've never used the software. Maybe it will make more sense in a couple of months after I've familiarized myself with the program a little bit.

• I would think that another option if all else fails would be to export to maybe photoshop and paint the tatoo on as part of the post work if nothing else works. But don't take my word for it, as I am also very very new to the whole three D thing