Weird Skin

BellaBella Posts: 439
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Does anyone know why I've got this skin?!
I exported her from Daz and then I did render there.....

skin.jpg
305 x 367 - 124K

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know why I've got this skin?!
    I exported her from Daz and then I did render there.....

If you used the export options rather than the bridge, the "smoothness" of the mesh can be dependent on the format you used for export. For example, 3ds does not seem to retain any smooth data, so if you want to restore that in Bryce you need to use the [E]dit smooth option on the mesh - but depending on the mesh complexity and the power of your CPU this can be as bad as crashing Bryce, since it may hang for minutes even hours while it completes this operation. If Obj format or the DS > Bryce bridge is used, the smoothing usually comes along without a hitch.

There are other possibilities.

If you think the issue is specific to the material rather than the mesh, you can test this by saving the material to the library and then applying it to a standard Bryce primitive sphere. If the facetedness is still evident then I'd suggest it is a problem with the resolution of the textures.

• BellaBella Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Thank you!
    I've used the bridge indeed, I think I'm gonna make that test you said and try another texture.....

edited December 1969

Ok, it was like you said, I changed her skin in Daz and sent her to Bryce using the bridge - the skin is ok! Thank you again and....
    I really like your tutorials!.......is it possible to create a single cloud?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Ok, it was like you said, I changed her skin in Daz and sent her to Bryce using the bridge - the skin is ok! Thank you again and....

You are welcome.

Yes. If you root around in the materials library supplied with Bryce you will find some volumetric materials that can be applied to Bryce primitives to create single clouds - a sphere is often the best choice for this as it can be deformed into a suitable shape. With volume materials though, you cannot easily combine them on overlapping geometry as this will cause visible and ugly shearing and/or clipping issues.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You are welcome.

Yes. If you root around in the materials library supplied with Bryce you will find some volumetric materials that can be applied to Bryce primitives to create single clouds - a sphere is often the best choice for this as it can be deformed into a suitable shape. With volume materials though, you cannot easily combine them on overlapping geometry as this will cause visible and ugly shearing and/or clipping issues.

As I said in another thread, I like rocks as well for making clouds

quick_cloud_demo.jpg
    900 x 675 - 227K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Aw Pam, you just plain rock. :)

edited December 1969

Thank you very much David and Chohole!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

You are welcome.

As I said in another thread, I like rocks as well for making clouds

The stones are a clever solution, Chohole. I have used this trick as well but I find it has its limits unfortunately. For example, I once modeled a funnel cloud for a tornado scene. When I brought the tubular shaped object into Bryce and applied a volumetric material I ran into some serious issues. Apparently volumetric "layers" are built from the inside outward, not the other way around, so the farther away a point may be from the center of the object the thinner the volumetric material will appear there. So on some level volumetric materials really only want to be applied to simple primitive shapes like spheres and cubes. Irregular objects don't do so well. Being built inside out, the volumetric material does not follow the contours of the shape of the mesh. So I'd say that stones are similar enough to spheres that they appear to work well enough. But a more complex geometric shape would likely fail.

If I remember correctly something similar happens with Fuzzy as well, that is why we have been unable to fake SSS. Bryce has the translucency aspect of SSS down pat, but it lacks absorption. Many of us have tried to use a two part scheme where you create two copies of the object. The first one would be made of a translucent material and the other would be slightly smaller but with a fuzzy black material to serve as an internal absorber. With simple spheres and cubes it works but more complex geometries fail.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

[quote author="Rashad Carter" date="1408768907"I once modeled a funnel cloud for a tornado scene. When I brought the tubular shaped object into Bryce and applied a volumetric material I ran into some serious issues. Apparently volumetric "layers" are built from the inside outward, not the other way around, so the farther away a point may be from the center of the object the thinner the volumetric material will appear there.

I got lucky on this one, Rashad. I saw a swirling pattern in the clouds, so I put a cone with "Cotton Ball II" far behind where the swirl was. That's one thing I love about Bryce. Even the anomalies are inspiring. On the other hand, the cubes I used for the rain are obviously cubes. I was going to put up a debris cloud at the bottom, but decided to raise it up so it doesn't touch ground, avoiding that extra work. Did I mention one of my tendencies is laziness?

TilTheStormsUponUsItsAllJustDistantRain_Small.jpg
    1380 x 920 - 149K