intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Nivida GeForce GT 740M Processor

Comments

• BlossomStudiosBlossomStudios Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

will OCTANE Render plugin work

• BlossomStudiosBlossomStudios Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

got animation that is 575 frames and have done 230 frames in 1 hour 11 minutes

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

Yep, the GT 740M's CUDA enabled and shouldn't have any problems running Octane. Download the demo and take it for a spin.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

There are MANY different things in a scene plus advanced render settings that will affect render times

If the sharpness of the image is not very important you can set your Shading Rate in the advanced render options to 1 instead of 0.2 which it may be set to and it will render faster. Also setting pixel samples to 4 will cause it to render faster. However this speed increase will come at the cost of image quality.

• Constance1Constance1 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

For animation, if you run the Animation while Rendering, it renders much faster.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

fdsajkl said:
    For animation, if you run the Animation while Rendering, it renders much faster.

Can anyone verify that? I predominantly do animations, and I do all of my work in Carrara because DAZ Studio simply doesn't render quick enough (so I'd be very interested in finding a way to speed up DAZ rendering).

Do you simply mean hit the play button and then hit render?

• Wedge_2659076Wedge_2659076 Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

fdsajkl said:

Can anyone verify that? I predominantly do animations, and I do all of my work in Carrara because DAZ Studio simply doesn't render quick enough (so I'd be very interested in finding a way to speed up DAZ rendering).

Do you simply mean hit the play button and then hit render?

I noticed that no one replied to that question. Did you ever try it? I'm also trying to speed up animation rendering time in DAZ 4.7.
    Rendering 1400 frames right now. Going to take all night. Looking for solutions for the future. A new computer would help though. I'm on a 2008 Quad Core Mac Pro tower 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics card.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited April 2015

fdsajkl said:

no that's not true

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

also deleting things not showing in your camera but in your file helps, provided you don't need an off-screen reflection or shadow sometimes helps with speeding up.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,387
    edited December 1969

Depending on the scene, having a pre-render background can also help, because rendering a static background every frame wastes computing time. Related to that, rendering without a background that you composite in later in an editor can also speed up rendering.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the options to try.
    I always check if my shadows are visible. if not I turn them off. Shadows really slow down rendering.

my 1400 frame render is up to 15 hours now. 2 characters and a moving camera view. Only 300 frames to go.

edited December 1969

web said:
    I always check if my shadows are visible. if not I turn them off. Shadows really slow down rendering.

my 1400 frame render is up to 15 hours now. 2 characters and a moving camera view. Only 300 frames to go.

Raytraced shadow+displace=crawl of death

edited December 1969

web said:

I actually have not tried Raytraced shadows yet. Still new at all this.
    I'm wondering if it is faster to render all frames as images and not as a movie.
    Also wondering if I cancel a movie render half way thru if it will save what it has done so far.
    Not gambling on that today.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited April 2015

web said:
    web said:

I actually have not tried Raytraced shadows yet. Still new at all this.
    I'm wondering if it is faster to render all frames as images and not as a movie.
    Also wondering if I cancel a movie render half way thru if it will save what it has done so far.
    Not gambling on that today.

Don't cancel!

You will most likely lose it all. If you do cancel, you have a very short time frame to find your TEMP folder and copy the temp image sequence Daz has rendered.

Rendering an animation to an image sequence is usually faster than rendering a movie as an .avi.
    As an image sequence, you can cancel your render and still have all the images you already rendered.

Post edited by NoName99 on
    edited December 1969

Depending on the scene, having a pre-render background can also help, because rendering a static background every frame wastes computing time. Related to that, rendering without a background that you composite in later in an editor can also speed up rendering.

^^ +100

edited December 1969

dinopt said:

^^ +100

Agreed. Sadly in this case I am animating a moving camera scene so my background is different in every shot, slightly.
    Thanks for info about the temp file.

edited December 1969

web said:
    dinopt said:

^^ +100

Agreed. Sadly in this case I am animating a moving camera scene so my background is different in every shot, slightly.
    Thanks for info about the temp file.

You can still pull it off, depending on how much your camera is moving.

The trick is to apply the background image as a material to a primitive plane. That way the primitive plane moves in 3d space along with the camera and characters in your scene.

If it's an excessive move, like a 180-360 spin like Michael bay & Tarantino like to do, it won't work. But if is just a dolly in/out or pan, I can still save you time.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Did anyone bother to run the math on the original post?

Around 30 SECONDS/frame is slow? 230 and frames in 71 minutes...that's 230 rendered images in 71 minutes.

This isn't a real-time render engine, you are NOT going to get much faster than that!

Anything at 1 minute or less per frame is NOT all that slow.

edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:

Around 30 SECONDS/frame is slow? 230 and frames in 71 minutes...that's 230 rendered images in 71 minutes.

This isn't a real-time render engine, you are NOT going to get much faster than that!

Lol, that is insanely fast. I'm happy If I can get under 5 minutes per frame.

I just saw the question and didn't add that up at all.

This begs the question.....

Web, how are you pulling this off??

Post edited by NoName99 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    mjc1016 said:

Lol, that is insanely fast. I'm happy If I can get under 5 minutes per frame.

I just saw the question and didn't add that up at all.

This begs the question.....

Web, how are you pulling this off??

I'm like yeah...the few animations I've done, I was very happy with less than 3 mins per frame....and that was on my old computer. I haven't tried rendering on this one (it's a quad core as opposed to dual, so I imagine it will be faster).

But one way to speed up a render...still or animation is to use an external renderer (3DL standalone will usually be faster than the included one, but it does require some prep work for animation use and/or Mac use, which may negate some or all of the speed increase).

edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    web said:
    dinopt said:

^^ +100

If it's an excessive move, like a 180-360 spin like Michael bay & Tarantino like to do, it won't work. But if is just a dolly in/out or pan, I can still save you time.

This one is a 360 spin. But good to know info if I'm doing a simple zoom or even pan.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Did we read the first post? Yes

What was the 2nd question?