Import / Replace Default Genesis with OBJ

chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have an odd situation. A client wants to export the Genesis character as an OBJ, alter it, then re-import it so that it is used as the base. The idea here is that this new OBJ can be used with any Genesis rigging / controls.

I really do not see a way to do this. Is it impossible?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

As long as the altering doesn't change the vertex count and order than the the new object can be imported as a morph.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6483/

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited August 2014

The other caveat would be not altering the bones and such. Just depends on what exactly they're going to do to the figure. Normally, changes like shaping the head and/or body, are done and then an obj exported and added in through Morph Loader Pro. If this is for distributions, there would also be other considerations. If they are more clear on what they actually want to do, then clearer answers can be offered.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

The attached pic shows what appears to be the same character morphs, but it isn't, one of them is Genesis using my Jenni morph, the other is Jenni as a base figure.

So it is possible to do what you asked, but it's not recommended, the rig needs reworked and nothing will fit as you've changed the base shape, even the morphs don't look too good.

Now I'm using an older version of 4.6 so things might have changed in the newer versions, but if you go "Edit > Object > Geometry" you should find an option called "Update Base Geometry", this will open a small window with two options, "Update Vertex Positions" and "Update Full Geometry", the first one morphs the mesh, the second replaces it for the new mesh, once you make your choice it's a case of find the mesh and set the import settings.

Now you need to adjust the rig to work with the new shape, if you used option one from "update base geometry" then you can get away with using "adjust rig to shape", otherwise you will have to do it manually, btw no need for ERC freeze as your not working on a morph.

Next you can either save it or change the label you see in the scene tab and then save it, to save use "File > Save as > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset", select where to save the DUF and name it, in the Figure/Props Asset window that opens change the Vendor name from DAZ 3D to your own before hitting Accept, otherwise you'll overwrite Genesis.

Now you just have the problem of getting clothing to fit.

Jennis.jpg
    448 x 647 - 59K
  • olik9olik9 Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

Thank you Bejaymac
    But I did't find “Update Base Geometry” option in my DS 4.6 (Pro version)

Untitled-1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 534K
    Post edited by olik9 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,365
    edited December 1969

You don't appear to have anything selected.

edited December 1969

Everything stay the same if I choose something

edited December 1969

Try reloading your layout - Window>Workspace>Select Layout.

edited December 1969

I tried all the layouts.

edited December 1969

Which version of DAZ Studio are you using - Help>About DAZ Studio?

edited December 1969

4.6.0.18 Pro (64bit)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

I've checked the change logs for DS and it looks like your version is to old to have that feature.

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your help on this one!