Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) Public Beta now released..

Comments

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited August 2014

Wow DustRider, I never saw the original before.. Fantastic conversion mate ;)

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited August 2014

Orion_Uk said:

Thanks Orion! I modified a few materials, and completely changes some, but the dress and shoes were straight conversions, I really liked the way they looked in Octane.

(Haven't looked at all your post yet, to busy trying to get mine out :red: )

Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Orion_Uk said:

Thanks Orion! I modified a few materials, and completely changes some, but the dress and shoes were straight conversions, I really liked the way they looked in Octane.

Haven't looked at all your post yet, to busy trying to get mine out :red: )

Lol, I wouldn't worry buddy.. Nothing you didn't see in the closed forum... Yet ;)

edited August 2014

Sorry, could not resist one more!

Test_-1-BACKGROUND-0094.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited December 1969

That one is sweet Orion!
    Now you "forced" me to throw out a Village Courtyard render. This one took about 15 min.

Village_Court.jpg
    1900 x 1200 - 829K
    edited December 1969

Don't hold back buddy ;)
    The more stuff people see from this plugin the better as the quality of work done by you guys can only serve to compliment Sighmans amazing work/plugin :D

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Dang it, too soon, too soon!! :) I know that's a weird complaint, but I had in my mind's eye that this would still be about 6 months out, and was mentally preparing to save up the scratch to get it. I do have $500, but I'm not sure I can claim I have $500 to spare, and certainly I haven't mentally worked myself up to be ready to spend on this yet... arrgh, I'm torn...

Seems like I always choose wrong. Back when I first learned about unbiased rendering, I couldn't bear the thought of waiting 400 hours to render in Lux, and didn't have a computer that could render with Octane, so I went with Thea (I think it was around $400+ that I ended up shelling out). I *love* Thea, it's an amazing renderer, and the latest version of it is blazing fast with it's GPU + CPU combined renderer... but there's no Carrara plugin for it, and who knows if there ever will be?

After picking up Luxus for Carrara, and could compare 2 different unbiased render engines to each other and get a feel for how it would intersect my workflow. I prefer Thea over Lux, as I'm able to get much better results (probably a function of the fact I'm now very well versed with Thea's materials, and haven't delved too deeply into Lux) and Thea renders much faster of course, BUT I can say that one point Luxus has going for it is that it is much much easier to get my Carrara scene into Lux to render (really it's a matter of setting up a library of shaders for Luxus materials in Carrara, applying them, and then with a click of a button I'm rendering in Lux). My only workflow for Thea is to export my scene as a .obj from carrara, import into Thea, then take the time to edit all my shaders. I do have a substantial library of good Thea shaders already ready to go, so this isn't as time consuming as it sounds, but it's still a pain.

So now Octane... which on the face of it would solve both problems, no more exporting/importing to get it into an unbiased renderer, and the render speed is fast and as far as I can tell the render quality is superb. Plus I now have a laptop that can run Octane, which is something I didn't have before (only 2G but still from my experiments in Thea 2G is plenty to do the type of scenes I tend to do).

But $500... I was ready to spend this, for sure... eventually... just not sure if I can spend it more immediately. I'll probably work some OT over the next 2 weeks so I have the extra money to pick this up though, I can't wait to play :)

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Dang it, too soon, too soon!! :) I know that's a weird complaint, but I had in my mind's eye that this would still be about 6 months out, and was mentally preparing to save up the scratch to get it. I do have $500, but I'm not sure I can claim I have $500 to spare, and certainly I haven't mentally worked myself up to be ready to spend on this yet... arrgh, I'm torn...

Seems like I always choose wrong. Back when I first learned about unbiased rendering, I couldn't bear the thought of waiting 400 hours to render in Lux, and didn't have a computer that could render with Octane, so I went with Thea (I think it was around $400+ that I ended up shelling out). I *love* Thea, it's an amazing renderer, and the latest version of it is blazing fast with it's GPU + CPU combined renderer... but there's no Carrara plugin for it, and who knows if there ever will be?

After picking up Luxus for Carrara, and could compare 2 different unbiased render engines to each other and get a feel for how it would intersect my workflow. I prefer Thea over Lux, as I'm able to get much better results (probably a function of the fact I'm now very well versed with Thea's materials, and haven't delved too deeply into Lux) and Thea renders much faster of course, BUT I can say that one point Luxus has going for it is that it is much much easier to get my Carrara scene into Lux to render (really it's a matter of setting up a library of shaders for Luxus materials in Carrara, applying them, and then with a click of a button I'm rendering in Lux). My only workflow for Thea is to export my scene as a .obj from carrara, import into Thea, then take the time to edit all my shaders. I do have a substantial library of good Thea shaders already ready to go, so this isn't as time consuming as it sounds, but it's still a pain.

So now Octane... which on the face of it would solve both problems, no more exporting/importing to get it into an unbiased renderer, and the render speed is fast and as far as I can tell the render quality is superb. Plus I now have a laptop that can run Octane, which is something I didn't have before (only 2G but still from my experiments in Thea 2G is plenty to do the type of scenes I tend to do).

But $500... I was ready to spend this, for sure... eventually... just not sure if I can spend it more immediately. I'll probably work some OT over the next 2 weeks so I have the extra money to pick this up though, I can't wait to play :)

My feelings exactly. Who has 500 bucks to throw into a rendering package. Sure would be nice tho

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Awesome, great that it's out, and fantastic work. But the price point is a sore point. Maybe one of these days, if I hit a jackpot.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2014

The price is similar to other Octane plugins and so from that point of view is reasonable. It will be a personal decision whether you think it is worth it for you, and of course some people will not have the right hardware to use it, making it potentially more expensive to be able to run it.

What I can say is that once you have tried it, you will never look back. Not only is it very fast, being GPU based, but it gives more or less instant feedback which means that you can quickly adjust lighting and materials on the fly to fine tune your image, meaning that there is no more waiting for a render, only to find that some item in the bottom right corner looks wrong, and having to correct and re-render the whole thing.

It does a great job of converting Carrara's shaders into Octane materials automatically, meaning that many scenes will render and look fine with little or no adjustment required. But you also have full access to Octane's materials which exist alongside their Carrara equivalent, meaning that you can still render your scene in Carrara. And you can download and use Octane's Live DB materials database with hundreds of user materials directly in Carrara.

Things that would add greatly to Carrara's render time such as soft reflections and true traced depth of field are automatically catered for in Octane's renders, and are easy to set up from the extra panels that come with the Octane plugin. Because it is unbiased and physically based, it is virtually impossible to produce an unrealistic render. That frees you up from worrying about technical issues and allows you to focus on the artistic side of your rendered images.

Of course Carrara already has a fantastic renderer, and it is capable in many cases of producing results that can more or less match the results from Octane - see the Carrara Realism Rendering training for details! - but you have to work harder to get the same results. Another consideration is that Octane will not render certain Carrara features, Carrara's dynamic hair and its extensive range of procedural shaders for example. You can get around this by rendering twice, once in Carrara and once in Octane, and then combining the 2 images using a layer mask in your 2D editor of choice. As the cameras and render frame match exactly, this is quite easy to do and that way, you get the best of both worlds!

So in summary, yes it is going to be a significant purchase decision for many people, but if you take the plunge, you will not be disappointed!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

P.S. I suppose I should add a couple of my own renders from the beta testing period. An example of my skin shaders including SSS is (I believe) being included in the distribution.

V4-RavenAsMeganFinal.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 330K
    GreatRoomFinal.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 501K
    edited December 1969

You can find the official Public Release anouncement here:
    http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41907

edited August 2014

This is the first finished render I did with OR4C beta (seems like ages ago). The scene is lit with the Octane Render sun shining through two windows, no other lights in the scene. Both images use the exact same setup, except the first image was rendered with the Path Tracing kernel, the second image was rendered with the Direct Lighting kernel.

Path Tracing is fulliy unbiased, Direct Lighting uses a bit of biased ambient occlusion.

The figure is a V4/G4 character.

Bridged_ArkAngel_DL_A.jpg
    1150 x 1000 - 181K
    Bridged_ArkAngel_PT.jpg
    1150 x 1000 - 167K
    edited August 2014

Another simple V6 render I did while working on the V5 Bree shaders. It's lit with only an HDRI. That swimsuit was just had to be paired with something 50's-60's retro, the chair just seemed to be the perfect fit.

Bree_texture_test_posed.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 285K
    edited December 1969

Here is the Village Courtyard with V6 added in.

Village_Courtyard_Bridged2_sm.jpg
    2000 x 1714 - 888K
    edited August 2014

dustrider said:
    Another simple V6 render I did while working on the V5 Bree shaders. It's lit with only an HDRI. That swimsuit was just had to be paired with something 50's-60's retro, the chair just seemed to be the perfect fit.

This is one of my Favs of yours DustRider, I just love how your skin shader came out :D

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

This is by far one of the best news for Carrara and the community. Once again this pushes Carrara in render technology right up to the big boys. While it does have a higher price range base on hardware that needs to be purchase to take advantage of the technology.
    I would say that for users that are using Carrara for professional productions of images and video this will help them advance and the investment into this technology is well worth it.
    I for one will purchase the Nvidia graphics card that will take advantage of this.
    Thanks to the developer that spend time and resources to this plugin done and please keep working on it. I hope DAZ 3D spend some resources in promoting this.

Best Regards

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited August 2014

Hi,
    no demo version, beta for licensed customers only?

rk.

Post edited by rk66 on
    edited August 2014

Currently there is no demo (that I know of) as you will need a 2.0 standalone / license. Maybe Sighman can best answer the possibility of a demo for customers who do own the 2.0 standalone version of Octane Render?

You can ask here: http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=79

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I missed the Lightwave3D/Octane package upgrade by about a month.

heh

399 pounds = 661.49 US Dollar

Perhaps there can be a bundle deal on the next Carrara upgrade? :)

edited August 2014

Take a look here Design Acrobat: http://render.otoy.com/shop/carrara_plugin.php ;)

OR4C_prices.PNG
    908 x 426 - 50K
  • SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited August 2014

I already own the DAZ plugin which is incredible but very slow to be updated. The Carrara plugin is really great news but I wish OTOY offered a discount for owners of other OR plugins or for those who want to buy two licenses. They do offer a three pack at a 20 Euro discount but not for two licenses sadly. Many of us own two computers (PC & laptop or two PC's) but not three. I can't understand why they have a three pack and not a two pack?

One other question, do I need to update the standalone version to v2 to use the carrara plugin? It's my understanding that the plugins don't rely on the standalone for anything. The reason I ask is that if I buy the Carrara plugin can I just install it without updating the standalone or do I need to update both? I have a license for v2 of the standalone already - I just haven't got round to updating it yet because the DAZ plugin is still v1.2. My computer is working well right now so the less new installations I need to do the better.

Post edited by Superdog on
    edited December 1969

Here is another one, this is probably my favorite of the images I have done with Octane so far. The main light is Octane Sunlight coming through the windows, with some very low intensity mesh lights using the room model sconces (to help clear up the image because of the low lighting level). This is just a crop of the full image. you can see the full image here (warning - nudity http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2558952). Sorry for the nudity, but I really think it adds a lot to the mood of the image.

Bree_Vanity2_clip.jpg
    849 x 831 - 164K
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    I already own the DAZ plugin which is incredible but very slow to be updated. The Carrara plugin is really great news but I wish OTOY offered a discount for owners of other OR plugins or for those who want to buy two licenses. They do offer a three pack at a 20 Euro discount but not for two licenses sadly. Many of us own two computers (PC & laptop or two PC's) but not three. I can't understand why they have a three pack and not a two pack?

One other question, do I need to update the standalone version to v2 to use the carrara plugin? It's my understanding that the plugins don't rely on the standalone for anything. The reason I ask is that if I buy the Carrara plugin can I just install it without updating the standalone or do I need to update both? I have a license for v2 of the standalone already - I just haven't got round to updating it yet because the DAZ plugin is still v1.2. My computer is working well right now so the less new installations I need to do the better.

You shouldn't have to install OR V2 to run the plugin. You can install V2, and keep your V1.2 installation as well. Just install it to a different directory. I have the DS plugin as well, so no worries having both installed on your computer.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Here is another one, this is probably my favorite of the images I have done with Octane so far. The main light is Octane Sunlight coming through the windows, with some very low intensity mesh lights using the room model sconces (to help clear up the image because of the low lighting level). This is just a crop of the full image. you can see the full image here (warning - nudity http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2558952). Sorry for the nudity, but I really think it adds a lot to the mood of the image.

That is really quite spectacular. Out of all the ones you've posted so far, that is my favorite as well. Besides, who doesn't like looking at a tastefully done nude once in awhile. ;-) I do miss the nudity tags they used to have here.

edited December 1969

DustRider I had not seen the full image with nudity, I must agree with evilproducer, it was done tastefully ;) A direct yet elegant image that exposes not only a little extra flesh but also a little extra (as we all know you have it) talent ;)

• SighmanSighman Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Yes a DEMO version of the plugin will be available soon. I hope it will be out by the weekend.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:

snip
    . The Carrara plugin is really great news but I wish OTOY offered a discount for owners of other OR plugins?

One other question, do I need to update the standalone version to v2 to use the carrara plugin? It's my understanding that the plugins don't rely on the standalone for anything.

yes trying Poser demo , impressed so far and considering also added Daz script one but UI bit puzzling would buy Poser, DAZ studio AND Carrara plugins if a discount applied but do not really want 3 instances of Octane
    edited December 1969

That is really quite spectacular. Out of all the ones you've posted so far, that is my favorite as well. Besides, who doesn't like looking at a tastefully done nude once in awhile. ;-) I do miss the nudity tags they used to have here.
    DustRider I had not seen the full image with nudity, I must agree with evilproducer, it was done tastefully ;) A direct yet elegant image that exposes not only a little extra flesh but also a little extra (as we all know you have it) talent ;)

Geee, thanks guys! :red:

Orion - I'm not sure if it's talent or just a combination of dumb luck and a really awesome render engine :roll:

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,382
    edited December 2014

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on