Rendering in Stages?

TechymanTechyman Posts: 61
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am about ready to do the final render of a very complex scene. Based on some of my proof render times, I estimate that the render will take at least 20 hours (probably more) and I have a problem with tying up my system for that length of time. Is there some way to stop a render and then start it again later? I am using DS Pro 4.6 and it would be great to be able to render in increments over several days instead of all at once.

I am also open to any other options that someone may suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

I had an issue in Carrara where I was getting errors from hangup and needed to figure out the same thing.

One person suggested I put flat panels in front of my camera to block out most of my scene - panels that had no shader (so they'd appear solid black), and did not cast or receive shadows - so the lighting ignored them.

- That has let me render portions of my scenes at a time - just arranging those panels until I had the right slice on hand - rendering and saving it... and then putting everything back together in photoshop.

I've not tried doing the same thing in Daz Studio, but if you can figure out how to make the panel block the camera yet not the lighting - then it should work.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited August 2014

You don't have to use panels.

You can use Spot render to render a part of the image to a new window

But you'll have to composite in a 2D graphic editor afterwards

Other than that, I don't think you can stop and restart a render

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Select the Spot render tool - use the Tool settings pane to set the Spot render to New Window (has to be done each new session of DazStudio) - Render a part - Save that render

Put the renders together in Photoshop/Gimp/MS Paint

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited December 1969

You could also render each section over the one next to it slightly, so you have the same content on the edge in both renders, then try stitching them together using the panorama tool in PS or use Autostitch http://cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autostitch/autostitch.html.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

The LuxRender engine allows you to stop a render and resume it later, or save it's progress and load it later. LuxRender is bridged through Daz Studio by Reality or Luxus. It may be something you might be interested in later if you plan to do more projects that require hours and hours of rendering time and you're looking to stage it out.