Future of Hexagon?

2»

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,009

Saxa -- SD said:

Hexagon works really well.  Super impressed with it and how it manages delta changes with DS via bridge.

That said, one big wish I would have for a future version is overhauled memory management for the sculpting functions.

Inflate & Smooth for example.  If i do too much, my 64GB ram PC system starts to choke (Win7x64Pro).  Like majorly.  Have Undo set to 4. 

One session really pushed it and had to do a hard reboot (did manage to save new morph).  That was fun.  Lost my internet from that hard reboot on gasping computer.  Took a while to figure out how to reset that unprecedented error from a hard reboot.

Good news, it's not that your computer is choking, that's Hexagon coughing. Setting the undo number a good deal higher actually helps its stability. {like around 10 or at least} BUT save frequently, and incre-save often. If you're using the regular release Hexagon {not the beta}, there's a utility that can be run to tell the 32  programs you select that they're on a 64 system so use more of the available memory.

Too much inflate or smooth ... yes Hexagon will react. Avoid surface seams if you can. It's possible to select some faces, then select one of those brushes and only the selected area will be rearranged.

For the Genesis figures, before bringing them in, collapse uvsets and "no" textures [they take up precious memory in Hexagon]. Also a plain 3Delight shader applied first helps too. Hexagon was made before Iray was ever in D/S.

If working on a complicated model, every now and then export out an .obj file as backup ;-)

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited July 2021

Hi Catherine, thanks for reply. :)

Isn't HexBeta 64 bit? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256961/hexagon-beta-version-2-5-2-137-updated/p1
    Have my beta installed to 64bits bin and run from there.

re: undos.  Actually as artist type I prefer many undos. So started with more. With my 64GB of RAM it seemed like the right thing.
    With the ongoing memory allocation "issues" that's why i decided to reduce undo to 4.

Thanks for tips to save memory.  I do prefer my 2k textures so I can feel more connected to my work etc.

Do find that mesh moving by vert or groups of verts is fine.  Limitless so far with changes.
    But sculpt using especially inflate smooth requires me to do only so many morphs, then shutdown bridge.  This seems to release mem and I just resend again from DS but this time with it opening a fresh copy of HexBeta.

If I was doing objs, would for sure follow your advice and save objs.  But for many morphs have not needed it yet. 

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Saxa -- SD said:

Hi Catherine, thanks for reply. :)

Isn't HexBeta 64 bit? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256961/hexagon-beta-version-2-5-2-137-updated/p1
    Have my beta installed to 64bits bin and run from there.

re: undos.  Actually as artist type I prefer many undos. So started with more. With my 64GB of RAM it seemed like the right thing.
    With the ongoing memory allocation "issues" that's why i decided to reduce undo to 4.

Thanks for tips to save memory.  I do prefer my 2k textures so I can feel more connected to my work etc.

Do find that mesh moving by vert or groups of verts is fine.  Limitless so far with changes.
    But sculpt using especially inflate smooth requires me to do only so many morphs, then shutdown bridge.  This seems to release mem and I just resend again from DS but this time with it opening a fresh copy of HexBeta.

If I was doing objs, would for sure follow your advice and save objs.  But for many morphs have not needed it yet. 

Yes, the beta is 64 bit. I keep forgetting that. Installed it but seldom use it. There was a very important detail that on my computer it would not do at all. UVmaps. And we have to have uvmaps lol ... So I use the regular Hexagon.

Funny thing is that for some reason Hexagon is more stable with more undos. Around 10 or so. And then also to be saving. And to pardon if I'm repeating anything 'cause in this typing box I cannot see any of the previous posts.

No I don't save .obj files normally for morphs either. The bridge is so very handy for those :-)

Little trick I discovered with regards to using the inflate and/or smoothing brush ... you know the target area you want to brush - FIRST click in the viewport [where there is no mesh] and super quick get the brush to the target area. Fewer error messages happen then. When error messages appear, one can x them closed and providing one does not lift the brush one might be able to do a little more work. Accept. Send it over the bridge to make the morph. Then close Hexagon and start over for the next morph. Now and then after encountering error messages, have done work moving the vertices around and then can once again use the smooth/inflate brushes without getting the error message.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

some people like to blame the tools ...

DZfire and Arki to name a couple of awesome PAs can model perfectly fine in Hexagon.

I also made all my products with Hexagon.  Perfectly functional modeller tool. Are there more modern options out there?  yes of course.