HDRI Question: Why am I rendering black eyes?

skybluerobskybluerob Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might know why my renders using HDRI and Victoria 4 are resulting in these strange black eyes.

I have no other light apart from a bit of ambient light, which I have turned up and down but the same still happens. I have tried changing the intensity of the sky light but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rob.

Black_Eyes.jpg
640 x 480 - 156K

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

This is a really common problem. You have to have Light Through Transparency checked in two place in the rendering pane.

Screen_Shot_2014-08-29_at_4.35_.09_PM_.png
    248 x 802 - 104K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Hi skybluerob,

there are two Light Through Transparency options. One for the standard renderer near the top of the attached screen shot, and one for the GI renderer, near the bottom of the screen shot. Both need to enabled when using any type of GI, such as Skylight or Indirect Light. This is the most likely cause.

Picture_4.png
    255 x 572 - 61K
    edited December 1969

This is a really common problem. You have to have Light Through Transparency checked in two place in the rendering pane.

Brian beat me to it! Damn my slow typing and overly verbose prose! :lol:

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

Brian beat me to it! Damn my slow typing and overly verbose prose! :lol:

I win!

edited December 1969

Say, dustrider is hosting this month's challenge. It's a great, fun, low pressure way to learn Carrara if you're new to it. If you're an old hand at it, it's a great way to get some fresh ideas and to help other people excel at using Carrara to create some nice artwork. You can also win some very cool stuff from DAZ 3D and this month's PA sponsor, Infinte Skills.

Even if you don't enter anything in the challenge, the thread is watched by some very knowledgeable people, so it's a great place to ask a question or two. Stop on in!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45561/

• skybluerobskybluerob Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, the black eyes have now gone. Took longer to render but the results are much better. She looks a bit pissed off but I suppose you would be if you were standing in the snow in a summer dress!

Yes, I'm pretty new to Carrara (well, tried to learn 3D with it a few times but have always given up. I'm really trying to stick at it this time). I didn't know about that competition but will hopfully give it a try. Always a bit intimidating starting out though but having a lot of fun.

Thanks.

Rob.

black_eyes_gone.jpg
    640 x 480 - 155K
  • skybluerobskybluerob Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Forgot to say, thanks so much for the prompt responses.

Rob.

edited August 2014

Yes, the black eyes have now gone. Took longer to render but the results are much better. She looks a bit pissed off but I suppose you would be if you were standing in the snow in a summer dress!

Yes, I'm pretty new to Carrara (well, tried to learn 3D with it a few times but have always given up. I'm really trying to stick at it this time). I didn't know about that competition but will hopfully give it a try. Always a bit intimidating starting out though but having a lot of fun.

Thanks.

Rob.

That looks nice! You're off to a good start. Glad we could help!

When things get frustrating, take a breath or take a walk, watch some TV, get lunch or dinner. Maybe even take a nap or get a good night's sleep. I've actually had some of my best ideas to solve problems or work out ideas while sleeping. The important thing, as you mentioned is have fun! It doesn't matter if it's hobby or something you make a living at, there's no reason not to enjoy yourself. Heck, if you make money at it, all the more reason to enjoy yourself. If you don't like what you do or you get bored, you have a job. If you enjoy what you do and it provides more than just financial rewards you have a career.

I have a job. :-S Carrara is for a fun, challenging and creative outlet, but hopefully at some point I'll have an inspiration that will provide a little financial reward as well.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

skybluerob, you may not have noticed it but rendering with transparencies enabled also makes the hair render much better too, not just getting rid of the black eyes :)

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Here is some information that I hope will be useful.

Take a look at this screen capture and the two render images. Both images are using a HDRI file and both are using the same render settings. Now you may ask why are they so different? What made the difference?
    Well I just wanted to Illustrate that it is very important to play with the HDRI settings.
    First image was render with HDRI set at 100% and the 2nd image was render with HDRI set a 250%. See how the 250% makes the image so much better. By the way no other lights are in the scene.

HDRI_100_to_250_settings.jpg
    1920 x 1054 - 852K
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind the above mention settings.

This is the HDRI set at 100% no gamma correction.

HDRI100_percent.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 229K
    edited December 1969

This is the HDRI set at 100% with gamma correction of 2.2

HDRI100_percent_gamma2.2_.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 262K
    edited December 1969

This is the HDRI set at 250% no gamma correction.

For me I think this one looks better.

HDRI250_percent.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 283K
  • Sorry to give this thread new life but I'm stuck on the eyes issue. Is there a way to see V4's iris in the viewport? This is NOT the transparency rendering problem as stated above. In my case, I want to able to see the irises of the eyes as I animate her but it is impossible because there appears to be some black object covering her eyes. I attach an Image.

eyes.png
    216 x 114 - 47K