Texture transparency in Daz3d

ValidUserNameValidUserName Posts: 26
edited August 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

So I wanted a piece of clothing to look torn. I thought I could just take the .jpg texture and erase the tattered look into the cloth using photoshop and then save it as a .png.... that did not work. There is a blank white spot where the transparency should be. I tried saving it as a .tga file as well but that did not work. What should I do to make the cloth look torn?

EDIT: I read that Daz3d uses transparency maps so I made one. Only problem is I don't see anywhere in the documentation where it explains how to apply the transparency map to a figure. It does explain how to do it on a earlier version of Daz but that explanation is no longer relevant and is no help whatsoever.

EDIT2: I figured it out. You have to open up the Surface editor and select the opacity tab for that object then place your transparency map in the opacity dial. Why was this not explained in documentation. And all of the image links in the documentation are broken. What...?

May as well just delete the documentation to avoid confusion because its all for earlier versions of Daz

Post edited by ValidUserName on

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

ooh that sounds helpful, how did you create a transparency map? was it just the texture with your transparent areas on it?

• ValidUserNameValidUserName Posts: 26
    edited August 2014

ooh that sounds helpful, how did you create a transparency map? was it just the texture with your transparent areas on it?

On a transparency map anything black will be transparent. White gives you no transparency and anything in between gives you a see through effect.
    So...
    Black Grey White
    Transparent ------------------------>see-throughish------------------>No-Transparency

Post edited by ValidUserName on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Ahh, thanks a bunch. I'll probably, scratch that, I will be using this at some point in the near future.