G2F and G2M UV's for Genesis

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Is it possible to create G2F and G2M UV's for Genesis
And V6, M6, A6, Gianni etc etc while you are at it
Map transfer on all those new skins coming out is getting very old for me very quickly
I personally am baffled by the need for all these alternate UV's myself and find myself sticking to M4 and V4 ones more and more and love Mallen Lane and Slosh's remaps if using Genesis2
Prefer Genesis
but then see ooh shiney tatts and freckles get sucked in again.

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to create G2F and G2M UV's for Genesis
    And V6, M6, A6, Gianni etc etc while you are at it
    Map transfer on all those new skins coming out is getting very old for me very quickly
    I personally am baffled by the need for all these alternate UV's myself and find myself sticking to M4 and V4 ones more and more and love Mallen Lane and Slosh's remaps if using Genesis2
    Prefer Genesis
    but then see ooh shiney tatts and freckles get sucked in again.

I will ask DAZ about this idea, but I should point out that it will likely only be the Base Female and Base Male UVs that I convert, and possibly V6 and M6 (no guarantees on that). With so many other characters and uv sets, it would take me way too long to do them all, and then how would I package them or sell them? When I did the Genesis conversions, there were only 2 or 3 of each gender to do. Each takes me a very long time (as you can imagine) and if I wait for all of them to be finished, I will have no new releases during that time. If I release them as I finish them, people will be upset that they are separate. It's a no win situation no matter how you look at it.

Besides which, the majority of the PAs who do textures sets have been using the Base Male and Base Female uvs to allow greater exposure to customers that don't have the individual characters.

I will come back to this thread and let you know if DAZ is even interested in this. I hope that readers will provide some feedback here... the more interest that is shown, the more likely DAZ will be okay with it.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Well, while I understand the PA's points, I also admit this would be lovely. I think we could try to follow the steps to get Gen2F UVs on Gen2M and vice versa (while I didn't have time to try it, I heard you only need to copy the folders), but with Genesis. Or convert Gen2F skins to V5 or Gen2M to M5 and then use them on Genesis. Either way, it sounds like a great opportunity for a crafty PA, if he or she can devote the time to do that.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2014

I would love to see the two major UVs of Generation 6 on genesis, unmistakably M6 and V6. I work with those UVs only in my custom jobs, and am forever transferring textures to those UVs, purely to keep my characters consistent for use with Garibaldi hair which is UV based. And to be able to use textures I make on one character to establish alternate ones for other characters. So far I have favored V5 and M5 on genesis 1, but I like the Gen6 equivalents much better.

I do not like Base Female/Male UVs and cringe when I see thats the UV the PA character is using, because I know the next figure generation will not have that UV, it will have V6 and M6 UVs with a different set of Base Female/Male UV that doesn't match Genesis 2 version. V6 and M6 is guaranteed to be on the next genesis figure

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

DAZ has given me the okay to work on these. I will only be doing G2F, G2M, V6 and M6. Most of the texture artists use these UVs or V5/M5, which already exists for Genesis. So, by the time I am finished, you should be able to use any textures based on the following UVs: G2F, G2M, V5, V6, M5, M6.

I am working as quickly as I can to get these completed. I am nearly finished with G2F and will move on to the others immediately after.

Thanks to WendyCatz for the suggestion :)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    DAZ has given me the okay to work on these. I will only be doing G2F, G2M, V6 and M6. Most of the texture artists use these UVs or V5/M5, which already exists for Genesis. So, by the time I am finished, you should be able to use any textures based on the following UVs: G2F, G2M, V5, V6, M5, M6.

I am working as quickly as I can to get these completed. I am nearly finished with G2F and will move on to the others immediately after.

Thanks to WendyCatz for the suggestion :)

Oh excellent! That was quick LOL Looking forward to it Slosh :cheese:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
    edited December 1969

Oh cool
    I appreciate this as genesis my preferred figure

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,945
    edited December 1969

Slosh & WendyCatz

You can add me to the list of buyers.

Regards, Bunyip

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Slosh & WendyCatz

Regards, Bunyip

:lol: I like you just wantz, Slosh doing all the work, already was doing it seems,
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Slosh & WendyCatz

Regards, Bunyip

:lol: I like you just wantz, Slosh doing all the work, already was doing it seems,

No, I hadn't started this until you requested it :) Love your videos, btw

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Great news, Slosh!

WendyCatz should get a free copy for the suggestion :).

edited December 1969

Just to let you know how it's going... DraagonStorm has written a script that will convert the Genesis 2 texture presets so they work with Genesis. With the material zones having different names between figures, the presets would not load on their own. This script will be included with the UV product(s), so there will be no need for a separate purchase as in the past. Had we known each other last year, the same might have been done with Genesis 2 UV conversions, but it's all hindsight now.

The script will create a new .duf file especially for Genesis and will allow you to save the preset to a folder of your choice and even copy the thumbnails. You will then apply the new preset to Genesis. I tested it this morning and it works beautifully.

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited September 2014

And there will also be three new products from me (one for G2F, one for G2M, and then Bundled) which you can purchase. These will let you Batch convert Genesis 2 Material Preset (texture) files. Instead of doing one Material Preset at a time, which is what will come with the UV Set.

With this script you will select where you want the converted .duf files written to (for example ...My Library/People/Genesis/Materials/G2 Conversion) and then select a folder (for example ...My Library/People/Genesis 2 Female/Characters) and the script will convert of all of files that are Material Presets to the converted folder, maintaining the folders and subfolders structures.

You will also be able to pick and choose which files you want to convert and add them to the conversion list.

Here's a sample of the script interface

G2F_Screen_Shot.JPG
    845 x 649 - 108K
    Post edited by DraagonStorm on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Couldn't something like a reverse of the Map-Transfer be set up, such that a UV from one mesh (having two or more UV mappings available) is copied onto another mesh that shares UV mapping with one of the other UV maps on the first? Basically adjusting vertices by offset from their positions on the referenced map, I suppose. It would take an hour or so on some machines, but still beat doing it all by hand.

Thanks for taking this up, Slosh, even to give Genesis forward-compatible mapping.

edited December 1969

Couldn't something like a reverse of the Map-Transfer be set up, such that a UV from one mesh (having two or more UV mappings available) is copied onto another mesh that shares UV mapping with one of the other UV maps on the first? Basically adjusting vertices by offset from their positions on the referenced map, I suppose. It would take an hour or so on some machines, but still beat doing it all by hand.

Thanks for taking this up, Slosh, even to give Genesis forward-compatible mapping.

That would be an ideal situation, Eustace. Until someone figures out how to do that, though, I am more than happy to push points around :). I have G2F, G2M, and V6 finished, and only the hands and feet remaining on M6, which I will finish after a good night's sleep. Then I test on all the textures I own and make sure the seams are good. Finally, I will send it to DAZ QA . If anyone is aware of textures with those uvs that have tattoos on the back, I would greatly appreciate suggestions. I know I could map transfer a texture from another UV set with back tattoos, but I don't know how well they transfer. If it was slightly messed up, I might spend days trying to straighten it out, only to find that the uvs won't work with native textures, so I'd rather have textures that were made with those uvs.

edited September 2014

I have Blacksmith 3D's Painter program and can make you a few back tattoos if you'd like. G2M and G2F basic, I suppose, and any others?

Do you want tats on white, or tattoos on the base textures?

Slosh, check your PMs.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

I have Blacksmith 3D's Painter program and can make you a few back tattoos if you'd like. G2M and G2F basic, I suppose, and any others?

Do you want tats on white, or tattoos on the base textures?

Slosh, check your PMs.

Thanks, Eustace... got the PMs :) And what you sent was very helpful and a success. I've been looking at Blacksmith 3D and going back and forth about whether to buy it. I take it you would give it a recommendation?

edited December 1969

If it's in the budget, go for it!