(Released!) Vellus Horizon Shader System USER GUIDE IN COMMENTS

12345679»

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Good point! I had not thought about that. Thanks, I will try again.

No dice. 8 hours and no image. I had to shut down and restart. I tried following all the different procedures in this thread and nothing. I may try it on a G8F if I have time later today.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Sigurd said:

No dice. 8 hours and no image. I had to shut down and restart. I tried following all the different procedures in this thread and nothing. I may try it on a G8F if I have time later today.

This has happened to me on both G8F and G8.1F with the product multiple times. I reported it on this thread, as well. 

Thanks. It makes me feel a little better knowing it is not just me.

• When I apply the geoshell prep on my genesis 8.1 figure's geoshell, the chest and neck become white. I've checked the surface, and body and head are not the same surface type as arm and face ; they don't have the cutout map for example. What Am I doing wrong ?

Thank for any insight.

• WarlamaWarlama Posts: 3

i just purchased this product hoping to improve my renders.

The problem im having is after trying to adjust the offset distance (im told 0.0010 is good) the hairs show up as black spots in my renders.

how do i fix this?

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113

Hey beautiful people! I just issued an upgrade for the system that includes a simplified work flow, and support for Genesis 8.1. Check your DIM...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,168
    edited April 2022

Downloaded and installed. Thanks.

Genesis 8.1

G8.1F Vellus Horizon_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Those Things said:

Hey beautiful people! I just issued an upgrade for the system that includes a simplified work flow, and support for Genesis 8.1. Check your DIM...

Thank you <3 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thank you!!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Will there be a new version for G9?

• Sevrin said:

Will there be a new version for G9?

It's not on my list at the moment, as I once again find myself up to my neck in what was supposed to be a small project that has turned into something of ridiculous Fight Lab level proportions, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for the future...

• HighlandHighland Posts: 124

I picked up Iray Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female. I might be doing it wrong.

I loaded G8.1F, then on the Content Library tab
    People/Genesis 8 Female/Anatomy/Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair
    with Genesis 8.1 Female selected in Scene Tab..
    double-clicked on Vellus Hair Abdominal
    nothing created was named geoshell so I assumed the Abdominal Vellus Hair created under G8.1F in the Scene tab was it...
    selected that then Surfaces->Materials->Iray->Hair->Hair Colors   -- there was only one: Vellus Hair Abdominal MAT Default

Iray Preview produced the pic below. A render did the same but a little more subtle.

Still the hair looks pretty sparsely populated. Should it be? Or is there a control to change that?

The cheek, mouth, nose hairs looked more densely populated, and better.

vellus-ip.jpg
    1110 x 1008 - 561K
    vellus-ren.jpg
    1100 x 921 - 68K
    edited December 2022

Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female and People/Genesis 8 Female/Anatomy/Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair are two entirely different products.

Read this forum thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/459006/released-vellus-horizon-shader-system-user-guide-in-comments/p1

• HighlandHighland Posts: 124

barbult said:

Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female and People/Genesis 8 Female/Anatomy/Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair are two entirely different products.

Read this forum thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/459006/released-vellus-horizon-shader-system-user-guide-in-comments/p1

Thanks Barbult!  Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair came bundled with Victoria 8.1. When I went looking for a product page and instructions, it said Oops! Page Not Found. I stupidly stumbled upon this thread not even realizing it was a separate product. Small wonder the instructions were not helping.

Given all that, do you know where I would look for instructions for Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair?  In DIM the Information link also says Oops! Page not Found.  On the order page it says this:

This is meant to be distributed with every pro bundle like the anatomical elements are.

Vellus hair page does not go live

edited December 2022

After once trying that vellus hair that came with Genesis 8.1, I never used it again. I didn't like the look of it. I think it is dForce strand-based hair, from looking at your images. It will show when you render it. I think the Vellus Horizon Shader System for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female is a superior product, and this is the only one I use.

Submit a help request and tell Daz there are no instructions for the Victoria 8.1 vellus hair, and you want to know how to use it.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited December 2022

Highland said:

barbult said:

Thanks Barbult!  Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair came bundled with Victoria 8.1. When I went looking for a product page and instructions, it said Oops! Page Not Found. I stupidly stumbled upon this thread not even realizing it was a separate product. Small wonder the instructions were not helping.

Given all that, do you know where I would look for instructions for Genesis 8.1 Female Vellus Hair?  In DIM the Information link also says Oops! Page not Found.  On the order page it says this:

This is meant to be distributed with every pro bundle like the anatomical elements are.

Vellus hair page does not go live

To be able to see the hairs in texture shaded preview Select the Abdominal Vellus hair goto Parameters/General/Simulation  turn on Preview PR Hairs.  I get what you do if im in texture shaded or iray preview but when I render it looks right.

Ok after some further testing I see that the if G8.1F is not selected when you load the hair it displayed like you have it.  Make sure it says Geneis 8.1 Female in the Fit To option under General/Misc.

I do agree with Babult that this Vellus Horizon Shader looks better (softer) to me than what was released with G8.1

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,239

So... are you going to make this for Genesis 9?
    I use it all the time but too lazy to do texture transfer for the displacement maps to G9 UV.

Also, can you save the geoshell as just 1 whole Wearable preset - nobody has time for setting everything up manually.

edited May 2023

lilweep said:

So... are you going to make this for Genesis 9?
    I use it all the time but too lazy to do texture transfer for the displacement maps to G9 UV.

Also, can you save the geoshell as just 1 whole Wearable preset - nobody has time for setting everything up manually.

Just finished the Genesis 9 version today. Added a bump map to drive additional visibility options. I like the way it turned out, and I'll start packing it up tomorrow! 

ETA: scratch that, I see some ways I can make this much better, so more work to do!

Post edited by Those Things on

Do you have some teaser images for us?

barbult said:

Do you have some teaser images for us?

Not yet, but coming soon... 

Well shoot, thought I was finished, but as usual I go to test and find stuff that needs refining. But soon! Very soon...

Meanwhile, as requested, here is a work-in-progress shot. What you're seeing here is the original vellus horizon "peach fuzz" layer, sharing space with the new optional vellus hair bump layer. This adds a new geoshell, and quite a bit more realism in close up portrait work. There's also zero refraction and zero subdivision in this new layer, so it adds practically nothing to the render time (each of these renders was less than three minutes on a GTX 2070 super). Of course it's all super customizable. Make it as subtle or overt as you please, change colors, go nuts. 

Vellus Hair Bump Test.png
    1044 x 922 - 1M
    Vellus Hair Bump Test Side.png
    1044 x 922 - 2M
    edited May 2023

Here it is completely mapped to the face, and balanced with the original. Visibility is controlled by increasing or decreasing the bump settings. I think this is probably the most realistic vellus hair you can get (currently) in Daz Studio.

Vellus Hair Bump Test Side II.png
    1044 x 922 - 1M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • veenveen Posts: 132

Thanks, cant wait to get my hands on this. Instabuy from me.

Looks nice. Thanks for the images.
    edited May 2023

Nape of the neck test:

Vellus System Test Nape of Neck.png
    1044 x 922 - 1M
    Post edited by Those Things on
  • Oh, wow. Is there any chance we will see a (paid) update for the G8 product? Still not sold on G9, but things like these make it more enticing.