Poser - will update extinguish the version I have?

If I download the latest Poser on a trial basis, will it extinguish the version I already have or will it be a separate installation?

Comments

• Same version number?

• I assume you have version 11 and want to install the free trial for version 12. They can exist happily side by side. For safety you should, however, have first made a backup of the following before installing any new version of Poser:

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Poser Pro\11C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\prefs\RenderPresets\C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenuC:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Libraries (saved custom expressions and custom lights)C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Textures (sort by date, selective backup if needed)

• Richard Haseltine said:

Same version number?

I have Poser 11. The one I'm thinking of trialling is 12.

• Martirilla said:

I assume you have version 11 and want to install the free trial for version 12. They can exist happily side by side. For safety you should, however, have first made a backup of the following before installing any new version of Poser:

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Poser Pro\11C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\prefs\RenderPresets\C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenuC:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Libraries (saved custom expressions and custom lights)C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Textures (sort by date, selective backup if needed)

I've only just loaded the DSON importer and have yet to install WillDial's Poser Genesis 3 update and haven't really begun working with Poser just yet.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602

It's can be worth keeping your Poser 11 installed since Poser 12 has "upgraded" to python 3 and most old scripts won't work. I use Poser 11 to run EZSkin.

Also, if you have a version of Poser 11 that still has Wardrobe Wizard then be aware that it isn't in the most recent Poser 11 update. I updated and lost Wardrobe Wizard which really annoys me.

• Since Adobe killed its Flash Player I can no longer use some DAZ products (like Dragon 3, and several others) in Poser. I have spent a lot of time and money on those products. Will there be a way to use them in the future? I am a Mac user and am illustrating a book series with a large cast of characters.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited January 2021

patjarvis_5f09328704 said:

Since Adobe killed its Flash Player I can no longer use some DAZ products (like Dragon 3, and several others) in Poser. I have spent a lot of time and money on those products. Will there be a way to use them in the future? I am a Mac user and am illustrating a book series with a large cast of characters.

Which version of Poser? If it is one of the Pro versions, you can use the external library ...

Or you could use a free library software: https://www.senosoft.com/softp3do.php

Post edited by Kerya on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited January 2021

I have both poser 11.2 and 12. and they both have their own folder that reside in C:\Program Files\Smith Micro  So there is no conflict. they do share the same runtime though

You can run both at the same time if your system is robust enough

Capture.JPG
    1049 x 785 - 73K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • That picture shows Poser Pro 2012, not Poser 12.