Are the images I upload to my gallery compressed?

StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

They always look a little blurred when viewed in the gallery compared to the image that was actually uploaded.
As you can see from this example.

Untitled.jpg
810 x 449 - 96K
Delorean.jpg
873 x 456 - 306K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Did you click on the image to see it full res http://www.daz3d.com/galleryimage/image/37212/delorean_full.jpg

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

mine look the same as viewing from my hard drive.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

While I don't know the answer, there are several factors that could potentially affect your test. The application you use to view it could be displaying it slightly differently; somewhere along the line in the past I think I noticed a difference between the Windows Photo Viewer and whatever other image editor I happened to be using (either GIMP or JASC Paint Shop Pro probably), so perhaps your web browser could be showing your gallery image differently than what you remember when you created it or view it on your PC, or different users might be seeing slightly different things due to their differing software perhaps.

I tried uploading an image to a gallery, then viewing it, then right-clicked and selected "save image as", then ran a byte-by-byte comparison between the resulting file and the original, and it is indeed different. However, I recently discovered that "save image as" seems to give different results on different websites, so for all I know it could be displaying the original image, but only changing it on download, so that might not be a valid test of image quality.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@chohole.

Did you click on the image to see it full res

Ooops!!. No I forgot. Thanks Chohole. My mistake.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Sean, most people tend to upload JPG format still, JPGs are notorious for depreciating every time they are saved.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

I'm still using very old PhotoImpact 4 to convert BMP to JPG. It permits to set the quality from 1 to 100% in 1% steps. 80% usually gives a pleasing representation but I also go to 90 or 95% if the resulting file size (which is indicated) is accepted by the site I'm uploading to.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I render in PNG and then to Jpeg for certain sites. I don't need to worry about compressing Jpeg at all with the Daz3D Gallery but on the same token I don't l upload every pic I make...I only do that in my render thread

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

On a related note, it's worth mentioning that when you click on an image in a forum post, the forum opens the "full size" image at just slightly less than full size/resolution. You can then click on the "full size" image to see it at full resolution but slightly cropped, or pull the window larger to see the image at full size, full resolution.

If you just look at the standard, enlarged image the forum initially presents, you're missing loads of detail.

Crazy but, whatevah...