UFO - Flying Saucer

DeanpwDeanpw Posts: 258
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Could anyone do a typical looking ufo or maybe a triangular one. Doesn't have to have much detail as most ufo's are captured from afar, but something that looks realistic from a distance. Someone said ages ago that Stonemason was doing one, although I'm not sure if this is true.

UFO's are HUGE online -- We could make some fabulous pictures in Daz.

Dean

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969
  • DeanpwDeanpw Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Thanks Chohole,

My only problem with this ufo is that it displays writing, flags, or camouflage in all the pictures. I hope there's a plain version, although it should look okay from a distance anyway.

There's a few products I haven't purchased on here because they've got writing on them. When the creators put logos, flags or emblems on them, it limits what you can do with them, depending on your project. Sure, some have plain textures, but some don't, so it's often a gamble.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,987
    edited December 1969

You could probably make a plain version by removing all textures.

edited December 1969

Hi Richard,
    I'm afraid I'm not that clever when it comes to the technical side of Daz, moving and creating textures.. poly counts and flex capacitors. I just understand the common elements with regards to cameras, lighting etc.

I've always wanted to create some fake, realistic ufo footage to see what the outcome would be. I'm gonna buy it anyway, so I'll see what I can do.

edited December 1969

Just bought it and have quickly checked it out. There's writing on every texture, even underneath. A name change might be in order... Maybe, Identified Flying Object, as the writing is in English. Might be a good idea if the author created an unidentifiable texture.

Anyhooo, it should look okay for a distant shot, but not a close up, which is a shame because the author has done a good job overall, it's just the writing that lets it down.

Dean

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,987
    edited December 1969

Open the Surfaces pane (Window>Panes(Tabs)>Surfaces), switch to the Surface Selection tool (Tools>Surface Selection) and click on an area of the hull, then in the Surfaces pane click the little thumbnail to the left of the Diffuse colour colour-picker and select None. Repeat as needed and see if the result is suable (you can also click on the colour picker, or drag on the numbers, to change the base colour if the textureless version is too bright).

edited December 1969

Oh right, thanks! I thought it might be more complicated than that. I'll give it a go.

Cheers!

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited September 2014

We're in a similar position, as I wanted to create some art based on actual UFO cases, too and was amused to find an Adamski-style saucer in store. :)

What I found worked was relatively simple:

Firstly, while I do like the novel addition of guns, they aren't officially optional. So, simply locate all the four sets and select 'hide' to create something more authentic-looking. You can then either do the same to the turrets or spin them around so that the slits for the guns don't show towards the camera. The dorsal turret, on top, reveals some sort of inner workings when hidden, however, which means the 'turning' method will be required for that.

Secondly, go to the surfaces tab and select the hull and metal surfaces, then simply apply a metal shader! This gets rid of all the default textures and has the bonus, if you use the right type, of making the UFO look nice and reflective, just as some are reported as doing. :) This is especially necessary if you choose to completely hide the lower three turrets, as their absence betrays some curious circular marks in the default textures.

Even so, I love how detailed it otherwise is! Hoping to see other disc designs and also flying cigar and triangle shapes. :)

The only other pointer I'd give is to not use the landing gear, as inclusion of wheeled undercarriage is too human in design. I'm assuming the designer was going for it being a reverse-engineered saucer, hence the US/Russian identifiers, but as you say, most people will want to use it for something alien in origin. It would have been more useful to make the undercarriage look like support struts or possibly just skis.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll give them a try. Totally agree with the cigar shape ufo, classic sightings. Would be great if someone could bring these to life for us.