LAMH characters into Carrara?

arcadyarcady Posts: 340
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

The new Ape World 2 figures look really nice in Daz Studio - but I cannot seem to even export them out of Daz, let alone get them into Carrara. Daz Studio for me crashes on the 'Look At My Hair Player Plugin's OBJ export tool.

Any thoughts on how to use these figures in Carrara, if it is at all possible?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

using carrara fur best option

• arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Can you please point me to some good tutorials on that? Its something I have yet to try and tackle at all, but I had a feeling that would be the answer. :)

So basically - rebuild all the hair myself in Carrara?

Is it very hard or time consuming, or pretty easy once you get used to doing it?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

arcady said:
    Can you please point me to some good tutorials on that? Its something I have yet to try and tackle at all, but I had a feeling that would be the answer. :)

So basically - rebuild all the hair myself in Carrara?

Is it very hard or time consuming, or pretty easy once you get used to doing it?

It's not that hard once you get used to it.

I was going to point you to Holly Wetcircuit's fur tutorial, but I can't seem to find it. Then again my computer, OS and browser are all old, and I may not be displaying the page correctly. Try this link:
    http://carraracafe.com/tag/hair/

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

That link works ok for me, Evil. Looks like the tutorial is still there, I was just thinking the same thing when I saw the question, where the heck is that Holly Wetcircuit tutorial on fur I know she did, but you beat me to the punch :)

Carrara's hair system is truly great (at least for still images), really the most realistic hair solution out there that I've seen. Poser dynamic hair is so bad it's not worth discussing, and I've seen the promos for Look at My Hair in the Commons forum and thought 'eh, not bad, looks way better than prop hair, but still a bit flat'. Still I think Carrara hair is the best hair solution, especially when going for realism as it actually looks totally like hair.

edited December 1969

Great to know that she left it up.

Hopefully she'll realize that not all Carrara users in the community are ingrates, and actually appreciated the difficult task she took on.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Its a mad house! A mad house!

TCM is showing the original Planet of the Apes right now so I couldn't resist posting.

I had no trouble loading the figures directly from the content browser's People/G2M/Characters/RawArt/ApeWorld2 subfolder (eg. 1_chimp-CHR). Of course, that was without Carrara hair. If you do decide to try to make your own hair in Carrara following Holly's tutorial, I highly recommend that you locate the texture templates because Carrara's hair system allows you to use a texture map to control placement, density, length, color, etc. I used the default install so my templates for the chimp were in runtime/textures/rawart/aw2chimp. Where yours are may depend upon your install.

Here are some damn, dirty, apes by Raw Art.

damn_dirty_apes.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    edited December 1969

If you use the old DAZ 3D gorilla, I have some hair that you may find useful.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7370483/DAZ-Gorilla-Hair.car.zip

Kong_Final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Holly's tutorial at the Cafe is fantastic (I love the comic-book format, too)

This fur product is easy to use and you can customise it as well.

http://www.daz3d.com/real-furs by Holyforest

I also use C-Hair for eyebrows, beards, body hair and even eyelashes!

:) Silene