SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

sunnyjei You did a great job. smileyI agree about the head scale edit. Looks good on him. 

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 497

Serene Night said:

sunnyjei You did a great job. smileyI agree about the head scale edit. Looks good on him. 

Thanks :) He was fun to work with and I see him being great as is or a dial in for other characters :)

Serene Night said:

Okay, here, this looks better without the cleavage and the nipple depth morph.

Wow, making my way backwards thru this thread and so impressed with this one! If he were for sale as is I would buy this character as this is one of the most appealing g9's I've seen so far! Great job on him :)

sunnyjei said:

Serene Night said:

Okay, here, this looks better without the cleavage and the nipple depth morph.

Wow, making my way backwards thru this thread and so impressed with this one! If he were for sale as is I would buy this character as this is one of the most appealing g9's I've seen so far! Great job on him :)

Awww, thanks. Thats my G9 version of Boyd I dialed up before I lost the data from my hard drive. =-/

edited February 2023

Bought the leg chains today on sale. Weirdly, I used autofit to fit them on the Elf, but after reloaded I got a artifact which loaded with the leg chains. It was a woman's hair, untextured and strange. ... I think something must've been saved in the file with that chain. Hopefuly its just a fluke. I recolored the pants from the Fantasy Rogue set with some shimmery shaders for fun.

dance314.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited February 2023

Its Boyd. With a very green Gobo lighting.

Electric.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited February 2023

I like these muted Vanilla Camera Raw filters sometimes. They add an interesting degree of Drama. 

Touched.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
    edited February 2023

Twizted Fantasy Ears & Accessories for Genesis 8 Female is quite cool. It includes an elf ear up and down morph (Fantasy Ear 9 and 10), and corresponding jewelry. It is for Genesis 8 Female, but I transferred the morphs using a script, and was able to get it to work on a  Genesis 8 male (with the exception of the last earring which is double piercing his ear). I can likely move it though.

ups.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
    upsd.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

@sunnyjei Thanks for the render!  Love it!

Daventaki said:

Np glad to help! I almost never venture into personal art threads (mostly forget this section exists!) and I've been missing out. Love these custom characters you've created. I always have trouble making appealing males but you make it look so easylaugh

edited February 2023

Honi has dforce XYZ Zooey hair for Genesis 9. I had to parent it since the character itself is G8.1

I Kitbashed the necklace, outfit and jewelry. The necklace had sort of a Sauron-ish looking eye on there, but it was an easy fix to remove in photoshop. I found it distracting. 

Honi-1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

sunnyjei said:

Daventaki said:

Np glad to help! I almost never venture into personal art threads (mostly forget this section exists!) and I've been missing out. Love these custom characters you've created. I always have trouble making appealing males but you make it look so easylaugh

Glad to have you here!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Serene Night said:

Honi has dforce XYZ Zooey hair for Genesis 9. I had to parent it since the character itself is G8.1

I Kitbashed the necklace, outfit and jewelry. The necklace had sort of a Sauron-ish looking eye on there, but it was an easy fix to remove in photoshop. I found it distracting. 

That's a neat looking render.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited March 2023

I just bought CW_Viljo and CW_Celduin at Renderosity and thought of you!

elves1.png
    1626 x 1261 - 4M
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

They look awesome! I just bought that latest one, but haven't had time to play yet. He looks great!

edited March 2023

I kitbashed this outfit from Blackguard outfit, which is sort of an Asian fantasy set. I hadn't noticed how sexy that top was until now. The bottom is part of SY Morphing fantasy Armor set. 

Honi-blue.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited March 2023

A nice new and easy to use dForce tie and shirt by FaintBlue

Day Job.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited March 2023

It's date night and Owen and Boyd go for a walk around town. 

DateNight.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited March 2023

So, I wanted to play with Genesis 9, so I've made a character to try all the various fantasy outfits on to see what might work to kitbash or just to check them out.

This is the King's Guard outfit. It is designed for the masculine morph, so its not got extra space in the chest, cleavage space, or the usual corset-ajacent bustier looking female armor (which sadly seems to be the thing in a lot of armor I purchased for Genesis 9). It works well without a lot of clipping. I think its a nice piece. Definitely worth the cost.

Elf2w2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 910K
    Elf2w.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 875K
    edited March 2023

dForce SPR Iron Hand Combat Suit and Pose for Genesis 8.1 and 9 is a great outfit for both sexes. For the male version I left off the fur-lined skirt which I felt made it look more feminine.  But you may like it. This is a very nicely done suit, I like the celtic-inspired torso armor. There are included textures, but I think the natural metalic ones look more realistic. There are two squarish included blades. I Replaced them in the second render with rapiers.

ironhand.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
    Elf2w2e.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 900K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

You made great renders to show off these clothes. yes

Aww thanks. I would certainly use genesis 9 more if it had more masculine content.

edited March 2023

Next up is Medieval Dwarf outfit for Genesis 9. This is probably one of the most comfortable looking outfits in the store, it has a nice warm winter coat, arm warmers, a scarf, pants with belt and boots. The colors are nice earth tones and autumnal colors. It is dforce but doesn't require it. It seems to fit well without it, especially if you want it to appear bulky rather than skin tight. I did not dforce the first picture, but for the action scene I dforced it. Although I like the drape, I think the fabric looks a bit thin when dforced, like its wet and heavier than cloth should be. Ohwell. I love it. I will use it. Make more please!

dwarf2w.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 992K
    dwarf.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 988K
    edited March 2023

The dForce Viking Berger Outfit for Genesis 9  came with the Ivar bundle and I love it. I don't tend to render vikings. But the berger outfit is a nice generic warrior outfit (where's the texture pack, I checked but don't see one) , that looks great on genesis 9. I was surprised to learn berger means shepherd. Is there a different meaning I'm unaware of? Regardless, I love the set, it fits Genesis 9 well and looks good. 

On a note, One of the glaring obvious things I have with Genesis 9 males, is the tiny hands. I increased them 4 percent, and they are still rather tiny. We're going bigger next round. 

'

berger3.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 841K
    berger.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 911K
    edited March 2023

The Iron Lady fits on Genesis 9 Masculine but there is some rather obvious breast distortion areas on the vest and top which I don't like. I tried to smooth it, and it made it worse. The skirt, probably also can go, but it is a nice piece it just looks like the top is cut with a figure that has breasts in mind.  This character has extremely small pecs, so its mostly just some extra fabric to accomodate the breasts which makes it hang oddly sometimes. 

ironlady-fin.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
    edited March 2023

Does anyone own the: Reforged outfit for Genesis 9? This outfit, has the worst fit. For the life of me, even simulating it, it is very hard to get it to look right. What a frustrating set.. I can see why the promos don't show the characters doing anything but standing. It clips on everything.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

I don't. I bought Thimor, but not a bundle.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited March 2023

Serene Night said:

The Iron Lady fits on Genesis 9 Masculine but there is some rather obvious breast distortion areas on the vest and top which I don't like. I tried to smooth it, and it made it worse. The skirt, probably also can go, but it is a nice piece it just looks like the top is cut with a figure that has breasts in mind.  This character has extremely small pecs, so its mostly just some extra fabric to accomodate the breasts which makes it hang oddly sometimes. 

I think in DAZ clothing they should design around the male torso as morph transfers via autofit work pretty good to stretch but not as well to shrink. We know the artists are typically not going to design male and female versions and if they did, they same root problem is there: both males and females have among us breast of various sizes and shapes along with the rest of our bodies. 

In the military the dress uniforms were never unisex because the blouses have to be designed differently and for different sizes to be respectully functional for women and men. Ill fitting clothing causes performance degradation and is a safety hazard. I couldn't tell you what they are doing today in that regard though. I've notice many police departments have gone to bdu style police uniforms, Others departments with police type functions are trending to poor quality, ill fitting military style BDU derivitive uniforms too, which are actually a movement impediment and a snag and catch hazard. They are, however, much easier to launder, By the way, military style BDU uniforms are a ill fitting safety hazard too. I never could stand them.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited March 2023

So far I like some parts of genesis 9, but other things I really dislike. I am speaking from the perspective of someone who renders men and males generally. For me there is something really doughy about the chest and torso. There seems a real lack of definition in the chest area. The other areas can be quite cut but the torso seems rather low poly for some reason. The hands are quite small, and the real world proportions of the chest and legs gets old if you want to illustrate characters with more stylized proportions. The eyes also seem dark to me.

The recessed eyeballs render like dark pits for some reason, and the eyeballs getting out of alignment with the skull is frustrating and weird.

I don't feel the lack of a male base has been particularly helpful for this generation.

edited March 2023

I picked up ND Milo today, mostly for his very cool skins and other bodypaint options, so that I could render more Elves, Faye, and Aliens. Milo doesn't disappoint. This is one of the skins. I did remove the skin bmp and use Mike 9's. The Milo one had fine scales which I totally missed in the promo. I'm good with alien scales but sort of wanted just the regular-looking skin here.

milo.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M