SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

No, not all the glass shows up for me either. The surface named BLACK that should contain an edge around the windshield does not show that part either. I wonder if this model works even in Poser.

I exported the predator to Blender and looked at it. All the orange vertices in this image are "loose geometry". They are vertices that have no polygons connected to them.

loose geometry.jpg
    2517 x 992 - 816K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Thanks for looking at it Barbult! Seem strange it has no windows... Oh well. I guess I'll ad it to my returns.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Makes me wonder how the promos were done. They all clearly show all of the windows present and reflecting light. How can they reflect light if they aren't even there?

It's an old Poser CR2 file. It probably doesn't work properly in Daz Studio any more (or ever) is my guess
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2021

The glasses always were there. But a couple of bones were hidden (glasses and spoiler). See the screenshots.

Screenshot 03-22-2021 10.07.46.png
    2785 x 1633 - 1M
    Screenshot 03-22-2021 10.07.20.png
    2785 x 1633 - 1M
    Predator_glasses.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    Wow, that is good detective work. I never thought that these would be bones! Thanks for letting us know.

barbult said:

Wow, that is good detective work. I never thought that these would be bones! Thanks for letting us know.

You are welcome!

Thank you Vyusur! I like the look of it with windows. Glad I don't have to return it! 

I am glad too!

edited March 2021

So, wanted to test out the lightweight hair set on Boyd https://www.daz3d.com/lightweight-hair-set-for-genesis-8-male

I really like the masculine shaping of the torso hair, and the placement of the arm hair. The goatee (called goat in the hair system lol), and head hair is also really cool. 

I'm not a fan of the leg hair, it's a bit thick for me.

It does indeed render quickly taking only a couple of minutes to render it all. I think this is a very useful set, maybe Boyd will get a bodyhair upgrade in the future!

bodyhair.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on

Serene Night said:

So, wanted to test out the lightweight hair set on Boyd https://www.daz3d.com/lightweight-hair-set-for-genesis-8-male

I really like the masculine shaping of the torso hair, and the placement of the arm hair. The goatee (called goat in the hair system lol), and head hair is also really cool. 

I'm not a fan of the leg hair, it's a bit thick for me.

It does indeed render quickly taking only a couple of minutes to render it all. I think this is a very useful set, maybe Boyd will get a bodyhair upgrade in the future!

That body, arm and leg hair looks totally unrealistic to me, especially for blonde hair. I think the hairs are too coarse. The legs look like an animal pelt. Are there any adjustments that would improve it? 

edited March 2021

Yes! you can adjust the opacity and the styling presets. To be thinner and less dense. This is just how it loads. Here we have made it 'sparser' and lowered opacity.  I have left off the thigh presets.

sparser.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

Much better I think.

edited March 2021

I decided to go through my male hairs. I own a ton of male gen 8 hairs, but the reality is I use less than 1/4 of them. Frankly the quality of some of these hairs is apalling.

Problems such as: female hairlines, masses of hair in the front to cover up the temples so it can be made 'unisex' to just being poorly made or helmet-y.

It's time to spring clean the dead weight male hair. If I'm not going to use it, I'm removing it. 

It is quite frustrating that men's hair products are quite frankly this bad. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

Serene Night said:

I decided to go through my male hairs. I own a ton of male gen 8 hairs, but the reality is I use less than 1/4 of them. Frankly the quality of some of these hairs is apalling.

Problems such as: female hairlines, masses of hair in the front to cover up the temples so it can be made 'unisex' to just being poorly made or helmet-y.

It's time to spring clean the dead weight male hair. If I'm not going to use it, I'm removing it. 

It is quite frustrating that men's hair products are quite frankly this bad. 

Since you're already going through your hair library, what are your favourite male hair products? Give us a top 10 if you have the patience/energy/time for it!

I will post images of the  the ones I like, bearing in mind, that I cannot use dForce or the newer hairs due to hardware limitations.

edited March 2021

Okay, so here are some samples.

Derek Hair: Masculine style, but female unisex hairline. Pass.

Ceejay hair: Cute for Kids and more toony hair. Covers up the hairline by hiding it under clumps of hair. I like it  but only because there are some great textures and modeling to go with it. Just don't look too closely at the scalp.

Argos hair: Best of the lot. Effort made to make actual hairline, nice basic.

Clifford hair: Conceals hairline with clumpy chunks of hair. Doesn't quite pull it off like like Ceejay. Hair itself is thick ribbons. Unisex? Pass

Hair-Derek.jpg
    700 x 800 - 308K
    Hair-Argos.jpg
    700 x 800 - 307K
    Hair-CeeJay.jpg
    700 x 800 - 344K
    Hair-Clifford.jpg
    700 x 800 - 312K
    edited March 2021

Hairs I like...

Allen Hair- Not fudging the temples. Nice clean cut lines, and a different style. Like this!

Nick Hair- I see this hair in the store a lot and in use in promos. There is a reason, its a nice basic. The hairline is sufficiently masculine , and the swoop is nice.The PA also included a lot of hair colors, and it renders quickly. This is a good value hair. It also fits well. Wheee a hair without an inch of skin over the ear. Like that.

Hair-Allen.jpg
    700 x 800 - 225K
    Hair-Nick.jpg
    700 x 800 - 319K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Serene Night said:

Hairs I like...

Allen Hair- Not fudging the temples. Nice clean cut lines, and a different style. Like this!

Nick Hair- I see this hair in the store a lot and in use in promos. There is a reason, its a nice basic. The hairline is sufficiently masculine , and the swoop is nice.The PA also included a lot of hair colors, and it renders quickly. This is a good value hair. It also fits well. Wheee a hair without an inch of skin over the ear. Like that.

Yeah, I don't like most of the male hair products and many of the female ones.

Ryan Hair for G3M & G8M is another good one. It's sort similar to the Nick Hair being the same PA & all.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

Thanks so much for posting this informaton about various hair products.

edited March 2021

More Hair!

TJark Hair- Another excellent hair from OOT. Fits well above the ears, has styling presets, and a masculine hairline. Tope Grade.

Carlos Hair- Conceals hairline under hair clumps. Looks better dark, since blonde tends to look helmety. Its okay, I've used it.

Greyson- If Greyson had an OOT hairline, I'd love it, but it sort of punts on the hairline. For a shaved style this is noticeably more unisex and "Ming the Merciless" skullcap looking than I would like. If its short you really have to pay attention to hairlines.  I like the style, just wish the hairline was more detailed. 

Commander Hair- I use this one a fair amount. Its got an okay hairline, not as skull-cappy, since it recedes at the temples and is nice for older gents, or those who might start having slight hariline recession. The hairline isn't excessively detailed, but it is okay.

Hair-Tjark.jpg
    700 x 800 - 338K
    Hair-Carlos.jpg
    700 x 800 - 406K
    Hair-Greyson.jpg
    700 x 800 - 316K
    Hair-commander.jpg
    700 x 800 - 328K

Okay, Just heads up:

https://www.daz3d.com/mick-hair-and-dforce-outfit-for-mick-genesis-8-and-81-males

Is a stand alone figure, no gens, and the outfits say it fits genesis 8.1 and 8.0 males but I am having trouble.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited March 2021

Serene Night said:

Okay, Just heads up:

https://www.daz3d.com/mick-hair-and-dforce-outfit-for-mick-genesis-8-and-81-males

Is a stand alone figure, no gens, and the outfits say it fits genesis 8.1 and 8.0 males but I am having trouble.

Thanks! I had him in the cart to buy, but was hesitating because it looks like the clothing doesn't have a lot of modeled detail -- or texture detail, for that matter, no side seams or the like -- and just happened to check the forum before making a decision. I misread the product page and thought that Mick himself, as well as the clothes, are supposed to be for Genesis 8/8.1 Male.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited March 2021

vwrangler said:

Serene Night said:

Okay, Just heads up:

Thanks! I had him in the cart to buy, but was hesitating because it looks like the clothing doesn't have a lot of modeled detail -- or texture detail, for that matter, no side seams or the like -- and just happened to check the forum before making a decision. From the way the product page is written, it looks like Mick himself, as well as the clothes, are supposed to be for Genesis 8/8.1 Male.

It does, and since he has a faint resemblance to Prince and I like those stripey shorts, I was excited. Unfortunately, I bought him, and not only is he a standalone figure (Why?) he has no gens, and his male clothing did not fit boyd. I'm going to try fit control and then back it goes.

edited March 2021

Serene Night said:

vwrangler said:

Serene Night said:

Okay, Just heads up:

Thanks! I had him in the cart to buy, but was hesitating because it looks like the clothing doesn't have a lot of modeled detail -- or texture detail, for that matter, no side seams or the like -- and just happened to check the forum before making a decision. From the way the product page is written, it looks like Mick himself, as well as the clothes, are supposed to be for Genesis 8/8.1 Male.

It does, and since he has a faint resemblance to Prince and I like those stripey shorts, I was excited. Unfortunately, I bought him, and not only is he a standalone figure (Why?) he has no gens, and his male clothing did not fit boyd. I'm going to try fit control and then back it goes.

All the clothing pieces have separated versions for G8M that fit well. The clothing for G8M is marked as "G8M" in the name. See the screenshots. The hair is the only item that doesn't have G8M in its name. But it has Michael 8.1 head on its icon.

As for anatomical elements, I was planning to make them the next time with another character for this figure. But due to the fact that I model everything all by myself, it's not so fast.

Screenshot 03-28-2021 09.50.44.jpg
    357 x 908 - 173K
    Screenshot 03-28-2021 09.57.08.png
    318 x 223 - 46K
    Mick_clothing01.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Mick_clothing02.png
    1000 x 1300 - 896K
    Mick_clothing03.png
    1000 x 1300 - 931K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the various hairs!

Nick hadn't been on my radar, I put it on my wishlist for now. I'm not sure about it yet. It looks pretty good but both Tjark and Sitric look similar in style and quality. There's also Matthew which is a little different; it also shows up in promos frequently and always looks great. Currently all 4 are on my wishlist but I don't think I need all of them in my library.

My go-to for quickly making something look good is MRL Buzz Cut Hair. It looks kinda simple and it is; but all the details are right and I find that it looks great on almost all male characters.

Some more examples

Mick_clothing09.png
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    Mick_clothing 07.png
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    Mick_clothing 05.png
    1300 x 1690 - 2M
    Mick_clothing 06.png
    1300 x 1690 - 2M
    Mick_clothing 08.png
    1000 x 1300 - 658K
    edited March 2021

Hi Vyusur: Thanks for clarifying, but I don't see the G8M versions. Where are they located? Did QA package it wrong? Or am I missing where its supposed to be? 

Product View

error.JPG
    610 x 821 - 52K
    error2.JPG
    512 x 793 - 94K

Serene Night said:

Hi Vyusur: Thanks for clarifying, but I don't see the G8M versions. Where are they located? Did QA package it wrong? Or am I missing where its supposed to be? 

Product View

Thank you for finding out the issue. I've just checked the product on the store and found out that Genesis 8 part was missing. I submitted a ticket. I hope they will react soon.