Unclear Iray Renders

2»

Comments

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited January 2021

I think we have the culprit and it seems your graphic card runs out of memory. I don't think that the task manager gives a good indication concerning memory usage of the gpu. 

Use gpu-z it gives a better and more accurate overview.

You should also check the log-file of daz-studio under Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File

There should be a nofification if your gpu runs out of memory.

Try to reduce the size (memory usage) of your scene so that it fits on your gpu (max 6gb rather less since your gpu also needs some memory to operate the monitor) by making things not in the camera view invisible.

You could also use a scene optimizer to reduce the amount of memory the scene uses: https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

Or buy a gpu with a lot of ram, but concerning todays gpu prices that's not really a solution (except you have money to burn). 

Post edited by ps2000 on
  • Here are screenshots of my render settings and also of one of the emmisve lights, are quite a few cars with headlights and police car lights that have this 

rendered another scene last night which was indoor and rendered much faster 

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 22.59.58.46.png
    875 x 1085 - 74K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.00.62.png
    870 x 1094 - 44K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.06.75.png
    855 x 1086 - 75K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.15.97.png
    875 x 1095 - 46K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.20.09.png
    878 x 1092 - 54K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.22.15.png
    875 x 1097 - 65K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.23.84.png
    879 x 1048 - 47K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.25.39.png
    884 x 1096 - 46K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.28.89.png
    884 x 1098 - 77K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.30.98.png
    884 x 1107 - 75K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.00.33.15.png
    878 x 1102 - 81K
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.22 - 23.01.42.96.png
    773 x 1251 - 82K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

oconnordavid16 said:

Here are screenshots of my render settings and also of one of the emmisve lights, are quite a few cars with headlights and police car lights that have this 

If you have a lot of emissive lights, I think that is the problem.

• DireWorksDireWorks Posts: 133
    edited January 2021

definately it not use the GPU

i suggest you to go for the log file in

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build

open it in notepad delete everything is written and overwrite the blank log

when you open daz studio it will start to write the log in a blank file and you can easily find all the errors you get

now you can open DS and load the scene

probably you will get a memory load exceed error or something which means sthat

in any case you can post the error here and get more help

as i can see its strange with to cars and a ground and probably just a few textures to get out of memory with a 6gb

Post edited by DireWorks on
  • vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

oconnordavid16 said:

Here are screenshots of my render settings and also of one of the emmisve lights, are quite a few cars with headlights and police car lights that have this 

ah, not only 2 cars :) 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

vukiol said:

oconnordavid16 said:

ah, not only 2 cars :) 

I would also say way too much light going by the Lumen setting.

• oconnordavid16oconnordavid16 Posts: 160
    edited January 2021

Dropped the number of the Lumen liht from 10000000000.0 to 5000000.0  abd it rendered in 2 hours so it seems I had way too much emmisve light with the Lumen settings, the lights a bit dul now so need increse it a little more again as 5000000.0  is too low but just a bit higher should be enough. Thanks for all the help everyone. 

Although as seen in the attached photo there does seem to be some dots on the image 

Cars in Hand 9 - 00.png
    1908 x 518 - 918K
    Post edited by oconnordavid16 on
    edited January 2021

This image has four lights plus the car lights. There are two Point Lights, one Linear Point Light and a HDRI and the car lights are Emissive.

The three lights are rectangles set at 5000 Lumen height and width 50.

The HDR is in a Finite Box set to dimensions that bring it inside the building, Environment Intensity and Map set at 4.

The Headlights are Emissive at cd/cm^2 Colour White, Temperature 4300, Luminance 2600.

Tone Mapping ISO 400 the rest at default.

Click on image for full size.

light-test-iray-copyright-019.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 233K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

It's not that much about the Lumen value as it is about the number of meshlights.

PerttiA said:

It's not that much about the Lumen value as it is about the number of meshlights.

In what way? 

edited January 2021

Fishtales said:

PerttiA said:

In what way? 

If the number of meshlights in the scene is large enough, I have found that rendering with Iray will drop to CPU, which is logical as the engine has to calculate the effect of each and every lightsource on each and every figure/item/object in the scene.

The "little dots" the OP is talking about are the result of IRAY rendering not being "ready" enough = If nothing is changed, the rendering requires more time to get rid of the dots, or reduce the number of meshlights.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • In the full scene there is a truck, 9 cars and 7 police cars all with emmissive lights, what exactly is the meshlight? Is there soem render settings I should change to get a better render with no little dots, photos of render settings are in a previous post here 

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

oconnordavid16 said:

In the full scene there is a truck, 9 cars and 7 police cars all with emmissive lights, what exactly is the meshlight? Is there soem render settings I should change to get a better render with no little dots, photos of render settings are in a previous post here 

meshlight its a surface with a light material

there is the post denoiser but you will  loose a lot of details, maybe with a low value but i dont like it anyway

oconnordavid16 said:

In the full scene there is a truck, 9 cars and 7 police cars all with emmissive lights, what exactly is the meshlight? Is there soem render settings I should change to get a better render with no little dots, photos of render settings are in a previous post here 

So, 17 vehicles with how many emissive meshlights per vehicle? I would estimate the total number getting close even if not over 100 pretty quick... That is a lot of light sources, which will make the rendering take a long time, even if it did fit in GPU VRAM , if it doesn't the time it takes goes up to several hours. The little dots in the render are just an indication of the render not having run long enough.

• PerttiA said:

oconnordavid16 said:

So, 17 vehicles with how many emissive meshlights per vehicle? I would estimate the total number getting close even if not over 100 pretty quick... That is a lot of light sources, which will make the rendering take a long time, even if it did fit in GPU VRAM , if it doesn't the time it takes goes up to several hours. The little dots in the render are just an indication of the render not having run long enough.

I set the max time thing to 0 though  

• vukiol said:

oconnordavid16 said:

meshlight its a surface with a light material

there is the post denoiser but you will  loose a lot of details, maybe with a low value but i dont like it anyway

I see, the surfaces of the headlight bulbs and police car lights are what I have with emmisive lighting using Luman, think maybe I jsut had it way too high