Render Contest Accepting Carrara Renders

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited January 2021 in Carrara Discussion

Theme is Pinup Poster.

Since the 1890’s, the Pin-up has been an important part of art history. Do you enjoy creating the iconic Pin-up art made famous by the great Betty Grable, James Dean, and Marilyn Monroe? Submit your best Pin-up art.

There is an upcoming contest at that site that rhymes with viscosity.  Carrara entries are accepted.  Contest opens January 5th.  Contest deadline February 2nd.  

Image dimensions are strict.  

• Image size MUST be 792 pixels x 1224 pixels or 11 inches x 17 inches in .jpeg format (72 dpi).
  • Thumbnail image must be maximum of 300 pixels (wide) x 350 pixels (height) in .jpeg format (72 dpi). 

No nudity, no gore, no weapons, no violence, no...

More details in the community section / upcoming contests at that other site.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You can actually say Renderosity,  it is not verboten.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Diomede.  I have three questions.

1.  How do you access the Rendo forum from the Rendo front page?  I always have to use a search engine to find it.  If there is navigation on the front page, I can't find it.

2.  How did you find out about this contest?  Other than your post, I can't find links to it anywhere.

3.  How do you know it is open to Carrara?  I didn't see any specific rules regarding software, so maybe that was your conclusion.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2021

No problem.

1. On the front page near the top of the homepage is a menu that includes COMMUNITY.   It is a horizontal menu with MARKETPLACE, FREESTUFF, GALLERIES, COMMUNITY.  If you click on COMMUNITY, a vertical menu will appear with COMMUNITY (how confusing is that!), FORUMS, TUTORIALS, CONTESTS, AWARDS.  The contest area has separate sections for contests that are CURRENTLY OPEN, VOTING, UPCOMING, ARCHIVES, and RECENTLY CLOSED.    

2.  I found out about the contest because I was curious if there were any open contests (no, there are not).  While visiting the website, I also checked for upcoming contests and checked in on their Carrara forum.

3.  I know it is open to Carrara because (a) there is no mention of a limitation on program use, (b) rendo has large user bases of both Daz Studio and Poser, so a lack of restriction could reasonably imply more than one program, and (c) I entered a Carrara image in a similar challenge there recently, and that challenge had almost the same rules.  Differences were things like dates that don't matter for this discussion.

This particular contest is announced in the upcoming area, and there are also upcoming contests for doll photography and paper dolls.

edited January 2021

Here is the image I entered for an old contest themed 'Human and Machine.'  In my typical fashion, I could not take it very seriously.  Depending on how far back in the Poser-verse visitors to this thread go, might remember that the Poser 4 male was called 'Dork' for some reason that escapes me.  So I stuck the Poser 4 male head on a robot, got the robot's foot stuck in a spaceship, and tagged the scene with

Robonaut Chester McDexter may have been number one in his class, but to Commander Anna Mercury he was just another newbie dork-in-space.

Silly, I know.  But the use of Carrara was a non-issue.

chester mcdester.jpg
    1029 x 1200 - 553K

Anyway, that was the OLD contest.

The NEW contest has a Pinup theme.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

UnifiedBrain said:

1.  How do you access the Rendo forum from the Rendo front page?  I always have to use a search engine to find it.  If there is navigation on the front page, I can't find it.

yep, it's a 546 step procedure which at the end doesn't necessarily get you to where you want to go! surprise

Hey, thanks!

I had tried that before, but in typical blind-to-the-obvious fashion, I had fixated on the horizontal menu items and failed to notice the vertical topic menu on the left.

Clever use of Dork. :)

I am new at venturing outside the Daz universe, so maybe it is just me, but I don't get the "render a specific-sized image" thing.  I suppose that it is some requirement from marketing that makes it easier if they want to use it for promotional purposes.  The constraint doesn't bother me artistically, but what if I'm a pixel off? :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited January 2021

UnifiedBrain said:

Hey, thanks!

I had tried that before, but in typical blind-to-the-obvious fashion, I had fixated on the horizontal menu items and failed to notice the vertical topic menu on the left.

Clever use of Dork. :)

I am new at venturing outside the Daz universe, so maybe it is just me, but I don't get the "render a specific-sized image" thing.  I suppose that it is some requirement from marketing that makes it easier if they want to use it for promotional purposes.  The constraint doesn't bother me artistically, but what if I'm a pixel off? :)

Paint.Net has a good resizing capability.

72 DPI Paint-Net.png
    1760 x 935 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I have a bookmark to their forum but probably cannot link it here

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

pin Ups are fun.  luv the fireman calendarwink

edited February 2021

I did enter the pinup contest at Rendo.  I honestly did not expect to win anything, as I rushed my entry at the last minute and didn't have time to refine it.

However, I also voted.  You only get ONE VOTE.  The process is efficiently automated, which is nice.  But right off the bat, I'm thinking how easy it is to manipulate the outcome.  With over 150 entries in the Pinup contest, all it takes is a half-dozen friends to tip the scales for one render.

I was very interested in the quality of art from the winners, so I checked the results today.  None of the winners even made my top five.  It is the first contest I've every voted in where that happened.

Something just doesn't feel right.

I am compelled to add, I wouldn't place my own render in the top 5.  There were some very good entries.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Only if it was a genuine reply to a genuine query   not an unsolicited link or what is deemed unsolicited by a quorum of mods.

And do you know the forum doesn't go boom  if you type Renderosity  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited February 2021

Chohole said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Only if it was a genuine reply to a genuine query   not an unsolicited link or what is deemed unsolicited by a quorum of mods.

ah we carrara users are so so specially  trained to talk in tongues, just like the welsh underground ;)

Post edited by Headwax on

Headwax said:

Chohole said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

ah we carrara users are so so specially  trained to talk in tongues, just like the welsh underground ;)

Ah    Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Ha ha Pam, yes my hovercraft has the same problem :) well fishing kayak and ISUP fishing board too