*Commercial* Sale for Today

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

There is an "All Published Artists" Sale going on, today only!
So if you've been waiting for any of my kits, Visit my Store and enjoy some saved jing!
Love you all!

Dartanbeck

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,349
    edited December 1969

Hello Dartanbeck

I have both the Badlands & the Woodlands and can recommend them to anyone who is thinking about getting them.

There is also plenty of other Carrara goodies at the sale for those with some budget left.

Regards, Bunyip

• EmotionalOutlet3DEmotionalOutlet3D Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Just new to Carrara but was going to ask about "must haves" for Carrara given the sale on today. Filling up my basket with DS items but really getting into Carrara now so should think ahead .... Any suggestions for my Carrara shopping list? TIA

PS if PhilW's tutorials are on sale very much recommend those if you are starting with Carrara!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,349
    edited December 1969

info a377 said:
    Just new to Carrara but was going to ask about "must haves" for Carrara given the sale on today. Filling up my basket with DS items but really getting into Carrara now so should think ahead .... Any suggestions for my Carrara shopping list? TIA

PS if PhilW's tutorials are on sale very much recommend those if you are starting with Carrara!!

Hello Info

As a newbie to Carrara myself that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string !!!!!!

It also depends on where you are trying to take Carrara to, rendering scenes, animation, modelling ? etc.
    Do you want to import other peoples wonderful creations and set up a scene or completely create your own ?

Check out Carrara Cafe website if you have not already done so, especially the C3DE Carrara 3D Expo Magazine's.

For myself I am trying to build up an excellent shader base, a good collection of the scenery/building sets, and am also looking at some of the add-ons such as the Inagoni items.

Eventually I want to be able to use Carrara as a base for all of my rendering, making movies, and maybe modelling.
    I will still be using my other software, most of my characters (Genesis) I set up in DAZ3D, will still be doing some renders in DAZ as well.

If you are after shaders look at what you will be shading to choose what you are after.
    Are you into scenery, buildings, portraits, vehicles or critters?

If you are after scenery/buildings the items by PhilW, & HowieFarkes are excellent but be warned they are quite large as regards computer resources.
    Dartanbacks scenery provides a very good base for bringing in DAZ items, check out his videos if you want to see how they can be used.

I have bought some of the Inagoni items and have started learning how to use them, and there is much to learn in Carrara.
    Lots of other add-ons depending on what direction you intend to take with Carrara.

Then there are the sky packages to choose from.
    I bought Tim Paynes items, after the learning curve how to properly use them I am using them all the time now.
    Just bought the Skies Of Economy by Dimension Theory, I am a big fan of Dimension Theory.

Next up are the Lights, Hair, HDR products.....................

Lots to consider !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the Infinite Skills video tutorials by PhilW are a huge help as well as a great reference.

Regards, Bunyip

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I got an ad from Daz today offering a 50% sale for all artists, only today. Is this the one? Because when I go to your (or any other artist store) it says only 30%.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

I got an ad from Daz today offering a 50% sale for all artists, only today. Is this the one? Because when I go to your (or any other artist store) it says only 30%.

Up to 50% off, by one get 30%, buy 2 get 40% and buy 3 to get 50%

• EmotionalOutlet3DEmotionalOutlet3D Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

As a newbie to Carrara myself that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string !!!!!!

It also depends on where you are trying to take Carrara to, rendering scenes, animation, modelling ? etc.
    Do you want to import other peoples wonderful creations and set up a scene or completely create your own ?

Ah well not sure I know what I want to be when I grow up. :) At the moment just creating scenes.

Until I am more proficient with Carrara I would like to continue to put together most of my scenes in DS as I find it easier and then light and render in Carrara because I seem to get a better render. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time getting any of the scenes from DS into Carrara. I'm not sure I've set it up right as I also have a heck of a time getting some figures into Carrara.

Maybe once I finish more of the Carrara tutorials I'll figure it out ....

BTW I love shaders too. Love AoA's carnival glass shaders! Of course his lights. Also Dimension Theory lights and shaders.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

info a377 said:

What a great question, and since it's a one day free for all I'll give my short 'must have' list for Carrara products.

Carrara native realistic skies are one of it's weaker points, not that they are terrible but they aren't up to Vue standards for example. There are numerous great sky products out there that can help to address and correct this, if I were new to Carrara I would pick at least one of those, to round out your capabilities on Carrara. For volumetric clouds DimensionTheory has some nice Cloud9 stuff, PhilW and Ringo (RM in the store) have some excellent volumetric cloud products, and to really make the native realistic sky sing in Carrara, Tim Payne's Carrara Skies volume 1 and 2 are highly recommended (which you can really round out by getting Tim's Lightdomes sets too).

If I were brand new to carrara and on a limited budget and could only pick one sky product I think I might go with DimensionTheory's Skies of Economy. It's very simple to use, 30 different HDRI sets, 10 each for Sunny, late afternoon, and nighttime, and paired with a distant light preset in Carrara. Also it's preset to use for Poser, Reality, and Studio too, so it's a multi-use product.

As far as carrara training materials go, the one absolutely must-have is PhilW's Realism in Carrara course. I can't recommend it enough, truly a great course and will shortcut your efforts to getting good renders out of Carrara's astonishingly good and accurate (once you learn how to use it) native renderer.

Out of time for the moment, there are certainly more recommendations I would make and hopefully I'll get a chance to post more later. In the meantime I'm also hoping some of the forum regulars will post their 'must have' carrara products :) I'm always looking for recommendations myself to pad out my favorite app, Carrara :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I agree with almost everything that has been said thus far. I use stuff by PhilW, Ringomontfort, Tim Payne, etc., everyday. Almost any of the big sets by Dartanbeck, Howie Farkes, Mmoir, etc. can be used as a tutorial in addition to being used for the great stuff included in the product. If you check the first page of the monthly challenges, the sponsors make up a good list of Carrara must haves.

I would also recommend real leaves by GKDantas and various shaders by Holyforest.

And PhilW and Mmoir tutorials!!!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    ... Carrara native realistic skies are one of it's weaker points, ...

Agreed, and I second the motion on the PA skies for Carrara, especially Tim Payne who also provides matching backgrounds and lens flares for the sun.

I would add that Carrara's water/sea surfaces are not as good as this one, which I use frequently:

http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-realistic-seas-2

A word of warning, my high end machine had trouble with the posing response time in the Assembly Room, but PhilW suggested I use the "bounding box" display which solved the problem.