"Generic" Slings and/or Straps

I'd love to have a two point sling/strap that I could attach to each end of something and then be able to put on a character so that they could "carry" it.

Case in point, I am trying to create a scene where a character is hiking with a travel instrument slung over their shoulder/back.  But I'll be damned if I can get any product rope, belt, ??? to attach to the instrument and then run the "strap" over the shoulder to the other end of instrument and have it look believeable.  

It would be great for instruments, weapons, or even a square primitive/cylinder that you wanted to then turn into a carried item.

Of course, if anyone knows of a product like that that already exists, please share!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited January 2021

yeah I can do this easily in Carrara but DAZ studio has some limitations as far as bones being able to track other things, that is actually what someone needs to do, figure out a script or plugin that does tracking.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Would a rigged rope or something like that work?

• I've done this using one of the smooth ropes from Sickleyield's Tied Up 2, which use it for all kinds of posable straps. The trick is to select all the individual bones of the rope and set all their Y scales to 20% (if you try scaling the overall rope object instead, it messes up the bending), then apply a leather shader and you have a posable leather strap to position and sling over a shoulder.

You have to do it manually though, by bending each joint. It would be great if there was some kind of dForce-y way of doing it instead.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited January 2021

Thanks for the responses guys

Chris... I did try what you did... at least i used a rigged SY rope, but it was having to try to adjust each bone, and somehow I'd make a mistake and it would go all wonky and I would have to delete it and try again... I got "close" and ended up turning the figure in the scene to avoid putting the ham-job I did in the camera's focus... but this is a character for a visual novel, so I will need them and their sling over and over again...

So I need a solution that is just more of a "one-of".

Help PAs!!!!!

PS 
    Nice Render Chris!

Post edited by Chumly on
  • I find the best way to pose ropes, straps and other things that have a lot of individual bones is to select all the bones in the scene tab (select the object, then right-click and pick Select > Select Children). Then, in the Posing tab, select multiple consecutive bones - at least three, maybe more - and set their rotation values as you need them. Usually setting a small rotation across a lot of bones gives a better effect than a big one on one or two bones.