More European apartments please. Modest housing

I would like to see more European apartments in the Daz3D store. One-story layout. More economical space. Honestly, I'm already tired of sterile two-story penthouses

This is a good example    -     https://www.daz3d.com/european-style-apartment

Comments

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

Yup, I'd like that too.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

and Australian houses too 

we have plenty of land so those stairs are not needed

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,503
    edited January 2021

Which part of Europe? What Era? That one looks British, 1970's/80's.

France is distinct from Germany, which is different from Italy or the various parts of Scandanavia. And UK & Ireland are different from each other, while both having more in common with each other than with continental Europe. Also, older housing is even more geographically distinct than more modern stuff. The size, shape & proportions are all different in modest housing, this takes effort to research and reproduce. Sterile penthouse apartments are much easier to model as they are similar worldwide, being designed by, and sold to, the same small group of self defining 'elite' people with limited imagination who expect the same geographically homogenous glass, concrete and white plaster regardless of time zone or latitude.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

richardandtracy said:

Which part of Europe? What Era? That one looks British, 1970's/80's.

France is distinct from Germany, which is different from Italy or the various parts of Scandanavia. And UK & Ireland are different from each other, while both having more in common with each other than with continental Europe. Also, older housing is even more geographically distinct than more modern stuff. The size, shape & proportions are all different in modest housing, this takes effort to research and reproduce. Sterile penthouse apartments are much easier to model as they are similar worldwide, being designed by, and sold to, the same small group of self defining 'elite' people with limited imagination who expect the same geographically homogenous glass, concrete and white plaster regardless of time zone or latitude.

Regards,

Richard.

Their ease of modeling has nothing to do with who buys that type of lodging (i.e., mostly the more numerous nouveaux riches as opposed to 'elites') in the real world.  They're full of straight lines, right angles and flat, smooth surfaces.  That's what makes them easy to model and texture.  

Daz stuff is mostly idealized and fantastical, rather than mundane, because that's what people buy.  Even the distressed stuff is mostly nightmarish, rather than merely rundown.

Anyway, it's worth checking out santuziy78's stuff over at Rendo.  Their Modern Room 2 is actually a modern little European-style apartment, with everything looking like it came from IKEA.

• rcourtri_789f4b1c6brcourtri_789f4b1c6b Posts: 254
    edited January 2021

1.  I generally find large interior spaces much easier to use in Daz Studio because the placement of lights and cameras is so much easier than in a small, cozy room.  More diversity in design would be welcome, though, especially with the furnishings.

2.  I also find the styles of architecture and interior design with perpidicular rectilinear forms, oversized windows, and high ceilings to be 'sterile' (especially when white dominates the interior), but it's an architectural/design style (International Style) whose pioneering figures were Europeans like Le Corbusier and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.  Was the OP associating such a style with the USA?

Post edited by rcourtri_789f4b1c6b on

rcourtri_789f4b1c6b said:

1.  I generally find large interior spaces much easier to use in Daz Studio because the placement of lights and cameras is so much easier than in a small, cozy room.  More diversity in design would be welcome, though, especially with the furnishings.

2.  I also find the styles of architecture and interior design with perpidicular rectilinear forms, oversized windows, and high ceilings to be 'sterile' (especially when white dominates the interior), but it's an architectural/design style (International Style) whose pioneering figures were Europeans like Le Courbusier and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.  Was the OP associating such a style with the USA?

The modern, industrial look is usually associated with America, regardless of its actual origins.  Its originators were trying to get away from anything to do with European design traditions.  They, especially van der Rohe, did a lot of their best known work outside of Europe.

Fun fact: The medical clinic I usually go to is in a building complex designed by van der Rohe.  It's (the place, not the clinic) one of my favourite places in the city.  His firm also designed a gas station here, of all things.

Anyway, I think what's being discussed is cozy, unpretentious dwellings.  Europeans don't have a monopoly on those, but the santuziy78, who I believe is Russian, does that kind of environment better than most.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

That size apartment in Zurich, even as slightly run down as it is, would be anything but modest in rent price or purchase price in the 2000s. 

nonesuch00 said:

That size apartment in Zurich, even as slightly run down as it is, would be anything but modest in rent price or purchase price in the 2000s. 

Zurich is crazy expensive.  It's apparently the second or third most expensive city to live in Europe. 

• Sevrin said:

nonesuch00 said:

Zurich is crazy expensive.  It's apparently the second or third most expensive city to live in Europe. 

It's down to the Gnomes

• JovanniJovanni Posts: 87

I don't know. Perhaps in America, every resident has a two-story loft with an area of 200m2. Three guest bathrooms and other amenities. For example, in Germany, France or Poland, the area of housing per person is from 35 to 70m2. This is a one-bedroom apartment in residential buildings. And yes! Don't be surprised. It's just one bathroom!
    Think not about the elements of the interior, but about the area of the premises. In most cases, it is about 35-70m2. This is several times less than what is sold in the Daz3D store. I'm not sure that I can attach examples of photos from the Internet, maybe this violates copyright. But I can leave a link to the photo. This is a good place to look for ideas

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/816770082395319320/

And yes, one more thing. Why don't PA's use real-world furniture sizes? It's not even close. Sometimes it seems my character can dip his head in a mug of tea. Do they drink tea in America? It is necessary to reduce the size sometimes up to 80%. Excuse me. I hope it didn't sound like hidden aggression

• dantist22121991 said:

I don't know. Perhaps in America, every resident has a two-story loft with an area of 200m2. Three guest bathrooms and other amenities. For example, in Germany, France or Poland, the area of housing per person is from 35 to 70m2. This is a one-bedroom apartment in residential buildings. And yes! Don't be surprised. It's just one bathroom!
    Think not about the elements of the interior, but about the area of the premises. In most cases, it is about 35-70m2. This is several times less than what is sold in the Daz3D store. I'm not sure that I can attach examples of photos from the Internet, maybe this violates copyright. But I can leave a link to the photo. This is a good place to look for ideas

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/816770082395319320/

Also... Most of the apartments available here, even though their floor space is about 5-10 times bigger than "normal" homes, they have only one bedroom - Where are the kids supposed to sleep, nevermind the guests. 

• dantist22121991 said:

I don't know. Perhaps in America, every resident has a two-story loft with an area of 200m2. ....

A couple of years ago I was keeping an eye on house prices in Detroit. I came to the conclusion I could buy a house about the same size and age as my 100yo/brickbuilt/110m2 UK house in Detroit for $1 + $13k back taxes. Or I could buy one for $12k that was 7x the floor area of my current house. If you got it right, buying a house would be cheaper than a 1 night stay in a hotel. Such places are no-longer available and most of the $1 houses seem to have been bought by their neighbours & demolished to give bigger yards. However, it was an eyeopener to see places up for sale for $1.

Regards,

Richard.

• Bear in mind that these apartments etc. are designed for rendering, they are made large to ease camera placement.

Richard Haseltine said:

Bear in mind that these apartments etc. are designed for rendering, they are made large to ease camera placement.

Kind of like the ridiculously huge NYC living rooms on "Friends", which not only had to accomodate multiple cameras, but also provide visibility for a live audience.

edited January 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Bear in mind that these apartments etc. are designed for rendering, they are made large to ease camera placement.

There is a wonderful tool-iray section plane. Which can cut off part of the walls blocking the camera. At the same time, save the lighting. This solves the problem.

Look at it this way. Many here are content creators(comics, animation). When my audience asks me: "why is the main character-a poor student, can afford to move out from his parents in an expensive penthouse with a pool?" I can't tell the audience that it's because of the camera that doesn't fit in the room. Viewers are not interested in technical problems. Viewers either like it or don't like it

I can't write a script first and then render it. I have to go to the store and check whether I can implement my idea or not. I have to adjust the scenario to the product range of the Daz store.

Post edited by Jovanni on

dantist22121991 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

There is a wonderful tool-iray section plane. Which can cut off part of the walls blocking the camera. At the same time, save the lighting. This solves the problem.

Look at it this way. Many here are content creators(comics, animation). When my audience asks me: "why is the main character-a poor student, can afford to move out from his parents in an expensive penthouse with a pool?" I can't tell the audience that it's because of the camera that doesn't fit in the room. Viewers are not interested in technical problems. Viewers either like it or don't like it

I can't write a script first and then render it. I have to go to the store and check whether I can implement my idea or not. I have to adjust the scenario to the product range of the Daz store.

Another thing viewers don't like is seeing the same background in every VN/comic/animation.   That's why many content creators learn to modify and/or create sets.