Art of Atticus Bones

Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
edited September 2014 in Art Studio

Greeting! Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a twenty-something hikikomori and 3D art is my way of bringing "the mountain to Muhammad".
Decided to start a render thread in an attempt to: become more active on the forums, hone my craft, and hopefully spread a little inspiration.

Thanks for looking. Any feedback or questions about any anything at all, feel free to fire away!

Kicking things off with some Ghibli fan art. I knew I had to tackle Porco Rosso as soon as saw the Genesis pig nose morph.
As I said, figure is Genesis (with a bunch of morphs), and the seaplane is my first attempt at modeling and was constructed in Modo.

wireframe.jpg
1008 x 807 - 307K
test.jpg
720 x 480 - 217K
zedited.jpg
1200 x 800 - 756K
Post edited by Atticus Bones on

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Very nice work on the seaplane and I think your final render turned out just wonderfully.

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Very nice work on the seaplane and I think your final render turned out just wonderfully.

Thanks, Khory. The plane's a little "quick and dirty" but it does the job.

edited December 1969

Just like Saruman, I too am building quite the army of orcs. Here's the first of what will no doubt be many more of his kind:

orc.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 533K
    edited September 2014

Experimenting with materials and lighting in Octane. I went for a nice Utopian future vibe with this one.

redo.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 526K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Good to meet you, Atticus Bones (what a great name!).

Nice work both on the model and the renders. That Utopian vibe with your bot girl come across perfectly with the lighting and clean blue and white scheme. The Orc is convincing too... looks like he's got a nasty temper, that one.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jindi. The pleasure is mine. I'm really glad you like my work so far.
    It's my real name, and if you think that's great just wait till you here what my middle name is... Ok, it's "Dragon" (no joke).

edited December 1969

Showcasing the latest addition to my runtime: SpeedGirl for V4 from FoRender.
    Dark Raven Motorcycle also looks good in blue, don't you think? I retextured the whole bike with shaders.

speed.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 860K
    edited September 2014

Whew, two in one day!
    Character's "Adventurer for M4" from FoRender. Once again, rendered using Octane and postworked in Photoshop.

Indy.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 632K
    edited December 1969

These too are looking good, Atticus. You found the perfect setting and vintage-sepia style tones for Indiana, and SpeedGirl is going to turn some heads! The bike retextured nicely and everything comes together to create a realistic-looking scene.

I hope you'll keep on posting, I'm sure others will enjoy your renders too once they discover them, and will start to drop in with feedback and comments.

edited December 1969

Thanks again, Jindi. That's very kind of you to say. I really do appreciate your comments; it would be pretty lonely here without them! Early days...

edited December 1969

Entry for the "PC Inspiration Contest — October 1, 2014" on the Daz Discussion Forum.
    Genesis 2 Female wearing "Princess of Autumn" outfit by Daz 3D and Moyra.

autumn.jpg
    1250 x 1000 - 1M
    edited October 2014

Starting to make some of my own content using Modo. Here's a Dwarven helmet I've been working on:

Screenshot-(6).jpg
    800 x 570 - 133K
    edited October 2014

And here's the finished version:

bear.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 597K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,896
    edited December 1969

oh wow, looks good

edited December 1969

Sure does, very impressive!

“Princess of Autumn” looks gorgeous too, it's captured all that rich detail of that dress.

edited December 1969

Really super work on the helmet!

edited October 2014

First attempt at environment design.

Some of you may have followed the progress of this piece in The Commons. Here's a link for those of you who missed it: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47216/

The wolf pelts were modeled in Modo. They are my first freebie for Daz Studio and are available now to download on CGShare.

rpg.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 1M
    edited October 2014

Been watching some streams of the new video game "Alien: Isolation" (damn, those graphic are stunning) and thought I'd do an Alien tribute piece.

isolation.jpg
    1370 x 1000 - 829K
    edited December 1969

Wonderful render! The marines skin fair glows with life... at least for a moment more.

edited December 1969

3D portrait of Danny Trejo made using "MexicanButcher for M4" from FoRender.

mex.jpg
    1000 x 1333 - 482K
    edited December 1969

That is an amazing morph. I'm wondering if the skin is a bit lacking in specularity. I quite like the lighting level though so I'm not sure.

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    That is an amazing morph. I'm wondering if the skin is a bit lacking in specularity. I quite like the lighting level though so I'm not sure.
    Thanks, Khory. Now you say it I can see your point. The skin is physically correct, in that it has the correct settings for real human skin.
    If I turned the lighting up or changed it's position the skin became more "alive" but at the cost of the image being much less dramatic.
    edited December 1969

It is possible that part of it is that since he is a known figure and I have mental images of him in my head it is easier for me to "miss" the specularity more than I would with a "stranger". I feel like I should know what you render in but I can't seem to recall. If it is something you can add a specular only light in then you could see if you can get some pop on his skin. Though if your like me you don't really want to redo it all that much (I loath going back after I have mentally stamped done on something).

edited December 1969

It was rendered using Octane, so I could fiddle around with a specularity map or combo a bunch of nodes together, though I'm totally like you when it comes to going back once i'm done with a piece. Better to learn and carry it forward onto the next project. I really do appreciate the feedback, thanks again.

edited October 2014

A winter work in progress.

ice.jpg
    675 x 900 - 367K
    edited December 1969

is that geometry hair from LAMH or geometry instances?
    I have not had much luck with latter
    for hair I make tips a lot smaller than roots

edited December 1969

is that geometry hair from LAMH or geometry instances?
    I have not had much luck with latter
    for hair I make tips a lot smaller than roots

Neither, It's just a tweaked version of the rocks that come with "Rock Demons" by midnight_stories.
    Though I've also been having some success creating similar effects using replicators in Modo.

edited December 1969

ah explains it :lol:
    if your modo replicators copy Daz surface groups you can rig it easier too
    what I did with JaguarElla's LAMH geometry after using TU, selected and weight filled surface groups by name
    stops vertex stretching

edited October 2014

Yay! I can finally share my "Red Skull" tribute piece here (wanted to check it was ok with mods first).
    Very pleased with how this one turned out.

redskull.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 749K
    edited December 1969

Really spot on!