Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,438

deepswing said:

Just did the following: Loaded 8.1 Female, applied head & body morphs of a character, and on the right is the loaded figure on 8.0. You can load the textures as well, but this removes the 8.1 skin or course. 

Here's a pic of how it looks, morphs all looking fine. It's 8.1 base with head & body morphs vs. the original character 8.0 with all textures applied to it. However, none of my expressions made for 8.0 work on 8.1, unfortunately. 

Some other advantages of using G8 characters on G8.1 is that you will have both UVs, so you could use (for instance) V8.1 eye textures with a G8 character.
    And the Mouth Realism 8.1 HD. The new mouth shape and shader is gorgeous.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2021

Jack Tomalin said:

kyoto kid said:

Kharma said:

It doesn't sound like 8.1 is backwards compatible?

Note that your Genesis 8 products should work with Genesis 8.1 characters, with the exception of some expressions. However, you cannot apply your Genesis 8.1 content to Genesis 8 or earlier characters

...which makes this week's PC freebie useless unless you buy into the new version. I rarely pass up the weekly freebies, but if this is going to be a new trend (like 8.1 poses, clothing,  hair, etc), I feel the value of my membership has lost a bit. 

I've remained with G3 for the most part as I could not afford to reinvest in all the utilities, resource kits, morphs, and such all over again. 

We just thought it would be nice to support the new 8.1 release.

I bought Generation 3 and 4. I bought Genesis, Genesis2, Genesis 3 and Genesis8 stuff.  Not interested to buy another one, as the difference is marginal as long as you don't do extreme close-ups.
    So I think it would be nice if you continue to support the old 8.0 release.
    If not, I will have to stop buying figures and limit my buying to environments, props and shaders.

Post edited by cherpenbeck on
  • deepswingdeepswing Posts: 152
    edited January 2021

Hellboy said:

deepswing said:

Just did the following: Loaded 8.1 Female, applied head & body morphs of a character, and on the right is the loaded figure on 8.0. You can load the textures as well, but this removes the 8.1 skin or course. 

Here's a pic of how it looks, morphs all looking fine. It's 8.1 base with head & body morphs vs. the original character 8.0 with all textures applied to it. However, none of my expressions made for 8.0 work on 8.1, unfortunately. 

Some other advantages of using G8 characters on G8.1 is that you will have both UVs, so you could use (for instance) V8.1 eye textures with a G8 character.
    And the Mouth Realism 8.1 HD. The new mouth shape and shader is gorgeous.

Yes, you can see that with applying expressions to it. The Kayla Remake expression for example works on both 8.0 and 8.1 females, and for me it looks a bit more natural on 8.1. Maybe expressions designed for 8.1 will do it way better as well, then. 

81 vs 80 - smile.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by deepswing on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

kyoto kid said:

Kharma said:

Note that your Genesis 8 products should work with Genesis 8.1 characters, with the exception of some expressions. However, you cannot apply your Genesis 8.1 content to Genesis 8 or earlier characters

...which makes this week's PC freebie useless unless you buy into the new version. I rarely pass up the weekly freebies, but if this is going to be a new trend (like 8.1 poses, clothing,  hair, etc), I feel the value of my membership has lost a bit. 

I've remained with G3 for the most part as I could not afford to reinvest in all the utilities, resource kits, morphs, and such all over again. 

Not a bad idea Jack. Nice touch.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871
    edited January 2021

confirmed it crashes Carrara, no surprise there

applying Misty's preset to it won't fix it

I guess this will save me money in the future unless future new stuff still suports G8F too

I bought a huge amount of Genesis 8 content once Misty made us a solution

but knowing the way stuff goes new stuff won't

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited January 2021

Curious if 8.1 will "help" my load times....

If I load a V8.1, does Daz still load all the 8.0 Baggage/Morphs to bog the load time, or will it load a lot quicker because I don't have a ton of 8.1 morphs.

If I can load a GF8.1 quickly, and then add GF8 assets/morphs, it would be well worth the purchase (to me).  Otherwise, I had kind of sworn off buying new Characters/Morphs until Daz  version ?.xx solved the load time issue of punishing thouse who buy more characters/morphs.

Post edited by Chumly on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Guess I need to wait a little and see how this all develops. Got a lot of questions:

Vicky 8.1 comes with a new 8.1 HD Add-On. Now are we expected to upgrade each and every 8.0 character and HD to 8.1. Would cost a fortune?
    Will those 8.0 morphs packs - thinking mostly of my comprehensive Zev0 library - work with 8.1 or not. Will those be updated free of charge or as paid upgrades?
    Is 8.1 a new figure within the library (regarding all those morphs in the data folder)?

And so on...

Doesn't matter what we're expected to do, we can please ourselves.

I never buy Daz's HDs; i consider them very expensive, considering they are included with many PA's figures.

• So I take it that you can't get the new skin shader unless you buy the Genesis 8.1?

edited January 2021

Chumly said:

If I load a V8.1, does Daz still load all the 8.0 Baggage/Morphs to bog the load time, or will it load a lot quicker because I don't have a ton of 8.1 morphs.

If I can load a V8.1 quickly, and then add V8 assets/morphs, it would be well worth the purchase (to me).  Otherwise, I had kind of sworn off buying new Characters/Morphs until Daz  version ?.xx solved the load time issue of punishing thouse who buy more characters/morphs.

When I load a standard G8.1 into a blank scene, I see all morphs being available for her. That's in my view the reason they called it 8.1 and not 9.0, as all 8.0 stuff still works (with exceptions, as mentioned above, some expressions simply do nothing on 8.1, but I haven't had time to check this completely). 

Post edited by deepswing on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2021

It seems like morph expressions like Unique Smiles work fine, but not expression dials saved from poses? Which makes sense.

Just for fun, here's a RY Tessa for Victoria 8 comparison. The new version uses Victoria 8.1's skin settings, eye materials, eyelashes, and eyebrows. 

Overall I'm really impressed, but I'm one of those people who goes bonkers in yonkers over the slightest improvement in expressions and functionality haha. 

TessaComparison.png
    2162 x 1241 - 2M
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
    edited January 2021

so is the FACS thing only with Victoria 8 then?

no information in that video how it works as in what tool to use or if there is a window, Powerpose doesn't seem to have it just the usual dots so am assuming not just base 8.1

guess next thing is to test it in iClone and Unreal engine but I am not optimistic 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I hope Daz release also Genesis 8.1 Male soon. Incredible. Can I convert morphs, UVs from G8 to G8.1?
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

latexluv13_65ebcf7300 said:

So I take it that you can't get the new skin shader unless you buy the Genesis 8.1?

You don't have to buy Genesis 8.1, it's included in the starter essentials update.

edited January 2021

OLYMPIA020 said:

I hope Daz release also Genesis 8.1 Male soon. Incredible. Can I convert morphs, UVs from G8 to G8.1?

From what I read morphs and skins from 8 work with 8.1 automatically. However skins for 8.1 won't work on 8.

Post edited by Leana on

plasma_ring said:

It seems like morph expressions like Unique Smiles work fine, but not expression dials saved from poses? Which makes sense.

Just for fun, here's a RY Tessa for Victoria 8 comparison. The new version uses Victoria 8.1's skin settings, eye materials, eyelashes, and eyebrows. 

Overall I'm really impressed, but I'm one of those people who goes bonkers in yonkers over the slightest improvement in expressions and functionality haha. 

I just try to find expressions which work. I bought several expression packs, I see that some signature smiles work (Kayla Remake works), but expression packs sometimes don't do anything at all, or touch only the eye/eyebrow section, but not the mouth. This is unfortunate, but does make sense as they rebuilt these areas. 

• Chumly said:

Loads everything... at least, that's how it was for me in my test.

If your Genesis 8 is taking a long time to load, Genesis 8.1 will not solve that.

You're loading the full suite of Genesis 8 morphs/baggage on top of any Genesis 8.1 baggage that you acquire.

• japangg said:

ChangelingChick said:

Yes. But, your old materials will still apply as they are without any extra work from you. The programmers did some really cool stuff to make sure what you have wasn't made obsolete. The new body and head section can use the new UV and the old one just as easily as the other.

I just downloaded the update through DIM and tried some of the feature.  I noticed that there is a Body and Head section in the Surface tab.  For the "Body" part, I can use the "Torso" part from G8F characters, including those created through SkinBuilder.  However, I doi not know how to address the new "Head' section, as there is no compatible item for that in SkinBuilder, or previous G8F character.  How can this be addressed?  Thanks in advance.

Use the torso (body) material (just copy/paste if it didn't apply on its own) and set the UV to Base Female instead of Base 8.1 Female.

deepswing said:

plasma_ring said:

I just try to find expressions which work. I bought several expression packs, I see that some signature smiles work (Kayla Remake works), but expression packs sometimes don't do anything at all, or touch only the eye/eyebrow section, but not the mouth. This is unfortunate, but does make sense as they rebuilt these areas. 

At a guess, expressions based on morphs should work, but those which used the face bones might not.

Leana said:

OLYMPIA020 said:

I hope Daz release also Genesis 8.1 Male soon. Incredible. Can I convert morphs, UVs from G8 to G8.1?

From what I read morphs and skins from 8 work with 8.1 automatically. However skins for 8.1 won't work on 8.

Yes, you can apply almost anything except most of expressions. And if you apply textures/UVs, then of course the figure appears the same as in 8.0 without any benefit. I think we have to wait for 8.1 figures where we can use all morphs and clothes on, but simply applying morphs AND textures to a 8.1 figure doesn't make sense to me so far.

• emoryahlbergemoryahlberg Posts: 133
    edited January 2021

Neat!

Am I able to apply a texture set from, say, Olympia while keeping the improved skin shader?

And I'm assuming all morphs work with 8.1?

Post edited by emoryahlberg on
  • Leana said:

OLYMPIA020 said:

Oh.. Sadly. Anyway waiting for update Iray engine too.
  • cherpenbeck said:

Jack Tomalin said:

kyoto kid said:

Kharma said:

I bought Generation 3 and 4. I bought Genesis, Genesis2, Genesis 3 and Genesis8 stuff.  Not interested to buy another one, as the difference is marginal as long as you don't do extreme close-ups.
    So I think it would be nice if you continue to support the old 8.0 release.
    If not, I will have to stop buying figures and limit my buying to environments, props and shaders.

All your characters/clothes/etc are still compatible with 8.1. This is a free improvement.

• OLYMPIA020 said:

Leana said:

OLYMPIA020 said:

Oh.. Sadly. Anyway waiting for update Iray engine too.

BUT the 8 UV's come stock already available on 8.1-- even non-Daz UV's like DimensionTheory's Project EYEray - Next Gen and the alternate UV that Zev's Skin Builder has for the anatomical elements. 

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited January 2021

deleted

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on

emoryahlberg said:

Neat!

Am I able to apply a texture set from, say, Olympia while keeping the improved skin shader?

And I'm assuming all morphs work with 8.1?

That's what I am trying to figure out. So yes, you can apply Olympia 8.0 textures on it, but it looks like you switch to 8.0 technology then. At least I don't see any difference in test shots I did so far.

Yes, morphs still work (with some exceptions to expressions).

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

So no answer about the velus hair?

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 243

Hi there, i just bought Victoria 8.1 and downloaded the updates, but i can't find the new features, i can't even access the old system O_o... 

Please tell me i don't need to buy the whole bundle!

Screenshot_26.jpg
    1347 x 875 - 142K
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

WendyLuvsCatz said:

so is the FACS thing only with Victoria 8 then?

no information in that video how it works as in what tool to use or if there is a window, Powerpose doesn't seem to have it just the usual dots so am assuming not just base 8.1

If you go to Expressions > any part of the face there are a bunch of new dials for 8.1. For example, eyes have options like Blink and Look Out/In.  You can also move the bones directly by expanding 8.1's head in the scene tab and opening up "upper face rig" and "lower face rig." As I understand it, the difference is mainly in how face movements are calculated. 

Lothar Weber said:

So no answer about the velus hair?

not a lot of information about anything

hoping some will come 

• The Inner CircleThe Inner Circle Posts: 224
    edited January 2021

One thing I have found is that it does not like geoshells. The 3 I have used so far so the dreaded all white.

But as @Changelingchick is one of my favourite PA's and seems a strong supporter of 8.1, I have faith. Happy to give some time to mature.

David

Post edited by The Inner Circle on