Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• SaulCsSaulCs Posts: 67
    edited January 2021

After the update the Genesis 8 female essentials is missing, i can't find the genesis 8 female figure or 8.1.

Any idea of how i can fix that?

Post edited by SaulCs on
  • Nathanomir said:

I just have upgraded all my characters from G3 to G8. The last commitment was my flagship character, who was upgraded last month. I jokingly said "Watch. As soon as I commit to her G8F version, G9 will come out."

SONOFA ...

Nah. Not feeling it. I spent too much money on Zev0, EJ, and Hellboy morphs and too much time upgrading a stable of 30 characters to do it all over again. Especially when the Zev0, EJ, and Hellboy morph sets for G8.1 aren't available yet. The big kicker is my flagship character uses a V7 face for a base. When will Riversoft release a G3 to G8.1 character converter? I also finally got skin sets that look like I want them to, and the new UV means starting over from scratch. YIKES!

I don't do animations, closeups, or portraits. I do action scenes. So, any benefits from V8.1 would be totally lost at the range I usually "shoot" the scene at. If pores and body hair show up at that range, then I'm probably playing with Orcs.

I will say, though, that V8.1 has a much prettier face than V8.

The cool thing is since I just have upgraded everyone, there are still plenty (and I mean plenty) of fantasy outfits for G8 that I still haven't purchased. Yet. So, things will keep chugging along at their usual pace, and DAZ will still cause me to break the monthly budgets.

All your G8 Morphs should work on 8.1 - so you can convert any G8 character to 8.1 without a converter (and if you have a converter G3 to G8 all those converted morphs should also work on 8.1). All the G8 clothing, Hair etc. should also work. The only thing that will not work are most (although not all) expression sets for G8.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

So are we waiting for the Michael 8.1 bundle before we get Genesis 8.1 Basic Male or am I missing something?

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,191
    edited January 2021

I've got to get in on this discussion...

First, it seems the reason why this is 8.1 and not 9 is because only the face got an upgrade.

I wish hands had gotten the upgrade too.

If the whole body had gotten an upgrade then it would be version 9.

I many cases a full body upgrade is not needed especially if you are just going to cover it with clothes.

Many of my figures are in their bathing suits so version nine I am looking forward to also.

I just hope Genesis 9 can still use clothing and hair from previous figures.

Also where is Michael 8.1 and Genesis 8.1 male?

And can I morph Victoria 8.1 into a male?

Can someone walk me through that?

I do not need anatomical elements, just converting nipple, face and body morphs to male help.

thx :)

Post edited by RexRed on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,438

Nathanomir said:

I just have upgraded all my characters from G3 to G8. The last commitment was my flagship character, who was upgraded last month. I jokingly said "Watch. As soon as I commit to her G8F version, G9 will come out."

SONOFA ...

Nah. Not feeling it. I spent too much money on Zev0, EJ, and Hellboy morphs and too much time upgrading a stable of 30 characters to do it all over again. Especially when the Zev0, EJ, and Hellboy morph sets for G8.1 aren't available yet. The big kicker is my flagship character uses a V7 face for a base. When will Riversoft release a G3 to G8.1 character converter? I also finally got skin sets that look like I want them to, and the new UV means starting over from scratch. YIKES!

I don't do animations, closeups, or portraits. I do action scenes. So, any benefits from V8.1 would be totally lost at the range I usually "shoot" the scene at. If pores and body hair show up at that range, then I'm probably playing with Orcs.

I will say, though, that V8.1 has a much prettier face than V8.

The cool thing is since I just have upgraded everyone, there are still plenty (and I mean plenty) of fantasy outfits for G8 that I still haven't purchased. Yet. So, things will keep chugging along at their usual pace, and DAZ will still cause me to break the monthly budgets.

There is no need for character converters or morph sets or new UVs. G8.1 is still G8. Everything except some expressions works as always.

You can already use all your upgraded G8 characters in G8.1

• SaulCs said:

After the update the Genesis 8 female essentials is missing, i can't find the genesis 8 female figure or 8.1.

As others suggested in this thread, I had to uninstall and reinstall the Genesis 8 Female Essentials in DIM. Updating was not sufficient for me.

• The Blurst of Times said:

SaulCs said:

As others suggested in this thread, I had to uninstall and reinstall the Genesis 8 Female Essentials in DIM. Updating was not sufficient for me.

Even that did not help for me. I had to switch Studio to offline working mode. Once it connects, it loads a metadata update that seems to kill / invalidate smartcontent data for the G8 Starter essentials package. As long as I am not online with studio, it is working fine. 

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

Wow.  On one hand I am happy that DAZ3D is continuing to move forward. On the other hand, I am quite a bit hesitant on diving in to yet another "new" character base as I have so very much invested in G3 and G8. The facial improvements look great on paper. But I was able to convert so much pre-existing content for use with the G8 figure that I really felt I was making a decent financial choice by going pretty much " all in" on G8. I know that people are saying that clothes, hair and poses for the most part still work so far but I am very concerned with skin shaders and expression packs.  There are a lot of very well done skin and eye materials created for G8. Can I somehow use these with the "new" figure without making a lot of adjustments that I am going to have to do for every single figure?  If so, will I have to create a list of specific values to refer to each time?

I understand that expression packs will probably not work.  That makes sense given that it's rather a huge change. 

Definitely something to think about before I start spending.  Given the current situation with my work hours ( cutbacks due to the Covid situation like many other people in the world) and what seems as somewhat limited use, I may have to take a wait and see approach on this figure at least until more information becomes available and how soon we see the male figure update.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Quote_:

All your characters/clothes/etc are still compatible with 8.1. This is a free improvement.

Well, that was clear. Is was asking for the other way round. 8.1 compatibility with 8.0.

The Blurst of Times said:

SaulCs said:

Thank you for the help. I did that but it is still missing for me.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

artistb3 said:

From the write up: "Note that your Genesis 8 products should work with Genesis 8.1 characters, with the exception of some expressions. However, you cannot apply your Genesis 8.1 content to Genesis 8 or earlier characters."  Will DAZ ever understand that forward compatibility is equally important to users as backward compatibility? 

We all want product improvements, but not at the considerable time and money cost of dealing with compatibilty issues.  So, as for all those G8 characters that users bought, sorry, but they are now obsolete as far as new 8.1 content is concerned. 

Yes, it's not going to be as costly as it was going from G2 to G3, but it's really depressing to think of the effort (and dollars) that will go into addressing compatibility issues.

Many may believe this will result in more content sales.  Perhaps, but it may indeed turn out to be the opposite.

In my opinion, DAZ should have completely addressed this issue out of the box, and before releasing the product.  

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-1

"Because Genesis 8.1 characters are built on the Genesis 8 framework, most of your Genesis 8 content, such as hair, clothing, morphs, and poses should work just fine on the new and enhanced characters. The enhanced capabilities of 8.1 are not backward compatible, however, so you won't be able to apply the new skins and capabilities on a Genesis 8 character. "

Since the morphs work, it means the geometry is the same, therefore clothing, hair, props can be used on both, G8F textures/skins can be used on G8.1F, but the new textures for G8.1F can not be used on G8F... What's the problem?

• arne207arne207 Posts: 153
    edited January 2021

Sorry for being stupid, but I've read the entire thread and still feel that I haven't got it yet. It's like this, right?

1) All G8-Characters work just like they did before...

2) ... but not with the improved skins and eyes, because that is 8.1-only.

3) Victoria 8.1 gets me both, and I could apply e.g. Frejas morph to her but not Frejas materials as that would lose me the improvements in skin and eyes?

Post edited by arne207 on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Daikatana said:

Wow.  On one hand I am happy that DAZ3D is continuing to move forward. On the other hand, I am quite a bit hesitant on diving in to yet another "new" character base as I have so very much invested in G3 and G8. The facial improvements look great on paper. But I was able to convert so much pre-existing content for use with the G8 figure that I really felt I was making a decent financial choice by going pretty much " all in" on G8. I know that people are saying that clothes, hair and poses for the most part still work so far but I am very concerned with skin shaders and expression packs.  There are a lot of very well done skin and eye materials created for G8. Can I somehow use these with the "new" figure without making a lot of adjustments that I am going to have to do for every single figure?  If so, will I have to create a list of specific values to refer to each time?

I understand that expression packs will probably not work.  That makes sense given that it's rather a huge change. 

Definitely something to think about before I start spending.  Given the current situation with my work hours ( cutbacks due to the Covid situation like many other people in the world) and what seems as somewhat limited use, I may have to take a wait and see approach on this figure at least until more information becomes available and how soon we see the male figure update.

You can simply apply G8 skin materials to 8.1 the way you usually would. The biggest skin shader difference appears to be with Victoria 8.1; she has completely different surface settings. 

What I would advise people to do if they're worried about compatibility is to just play with the base 8.1 figure for now to see how they like the new face controls and stuff and not worry about "buying in." There is no risk at all in experimenting with dialing morphs into the 8.1 base, testing out how materials work, etc. Messing around with it is probably the best way to see exactly what's changed and whether or not it's worth transferring your existing character presets. 

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

SaulCs said:

Even that did not help for me. I had to switch Studio to offline working mode. Once it connects, it loads a metadata update that seems to kill / invalidate smartcontent data for the G8 Starter essentials package. As long as I am not online with studio, it is working fine. 

Tried to do that and switch to offline but the g8 starter essentials are still missing for me 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871

well I tried the face control addon and crashed D|S blush

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

WendyLuvsCatz said:

unless they made it Carrara compatible I really don't care.

Translation, likely nothing to see here for me. indecision

+1

• alkenalken Posts: 253

Looks like 8.1 still takes forever to load.  I guess that's on me for buying so many G8 characters and morphs.  

• Rod Wise Driggo said:

OK, so the update is finally here. What do you guys think?

I'm even more thankful that, after 26 years of marriage, my wife has finally greenlit my dream to become a fetish photographer.

• alken said:

Looks like 8.1 still takes forever to load.  I guess that's on me for buying so many G8 characters and morphs.  

For me it loads quick, but ignores all the Genesis 8 morphs angry 

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well I tried the face control addon and crashed D|S blush

+1

• deepswingdeepswing Posts: 152
    edited January 2021

So I did another test now, and start to like G8.1 very much. I loaded F8.1 base into it, and applied a full character to it. As the base is F8.1, I have the new expressions being available for her, and these are excellent controls compared to the former G8 ones I could hardly use. Especially eye movement has improved big time whenever you let her eyes point up/down or more sideways than before. We are getting there. :-) 

And I hadn't to buy anything, this is all available for free. Thank you, Daz!

female expression 81.png
    1000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by deepswing on

My missing G8 female starter essential content is actually showing inside  the G8 male powerpose template in the smart content . Anyone having the same problem? 

• SaulCs said:

SaulCs said:

Reset database and re-import metadata worked for me

• echoescechoesc Posts: 18

Eveyone - Take a Deep Breath!

Maybe it's because of the political climate we live in, but I see lots of folks jumping in expecting the worst and complaining before they've even tried things out yet. You can easily use the morphs and and even textures from 8 for 8.1, you just won't be able to take advantage of all the cool new goodies. But your character will actually look BETTER even without the cool new goodies! I see lots of really cool improvements I can use if I opt to, but I can still use the new GF8.1 without any headaches (at least that I've seen yet). I've been applying GF8 characters' morphs and textures, and so far they look great.  Even copied custom characters over and no issues. The fact that expressions may not work completely makes sense, and I can live with that - and I've sure there will be some conversion tools for that soon enough.

This is all good for us, and it seems to me the devs have done a great job of making this pretty painless. Let's try to give them the benefit of the doubt before screaming that the sky is falling!

rayglendenning said:

SaulCs said:

SaulCs said:

Thank you. May i ask how i can do that? 

• deepswingdeepswing Posts: 152

echoesc said:

Eveyone - Take a Deep Breath!

Maybe it's because of the political climate we live in, but I see lots of folks jumping in expecting the worst and complaining before they've even tried things out yet. You can easily use the morphs and and even textures from 8 for 8.1, you just won't be able to take advantage of all the cool new goodies. But your character will actually look BETTER even without the cool new goodies! I see lots of really cool improvements I can use if I opt to, but I can still use the new GF8.1 without any headaches (at least that I've seen yet). I've been applying GF8 characters' morphs and textures, and so far they look great.  Even copied custom characters over and no issues. The fact that expressions may not work completely makes sense, and I can live with that - and I've sure there will be some conversion tools for that soon enough.

This is all good for us, and it seems to me the devs have done a great job of making this pretty painless. Let's try to give them the benefit of the doubt before screaming that the sky is falling!

+1 - totally agree, and when you start using it, you see the benefits pretty fast. The fact that almost everything still works is a huge improvement, you can use clothes, poses and everything, and that was a free update. I am in so far. 

• SaulCs said:

rayglendenning said:

SaulCs said:

SaulCs said:

Thank you. May i ask how i can do that? 

See https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207530353-Using-the-Content-DB-Maintenance-Dialogue#:~:text=You can get to the,click on 'Content DB Maintenance.

• Will Genesis 8.1 support the type of geometry required to finally display some more FACS-accurate expressions? The demo video does not look like there is a lot in terms of improved realism. I am thinking of things like the little dimples and folds on the chin for AU16 or AU17, as well as, e.g., a more realistic folding associated with the brow lowerer (AU4). See, e.g, https://imotions.com/blog/facial-action-coding-system/

• DVoidDVoid Posts: 40

Asari said:

If older morphs are still usable, does that mean both figures share the same vertice count and the same vertice orders? And the new tear duct and eyelash mesh is a separate figure, like the old eyelash mesh being a separate figure?

That's all I care about for now.

Short answer, yes.

They are the exact same model. The only thing that's different in the facial rig (which doesn't affect geometry density) and the eyes and inner mouth geometry. For the most part, the only things that could cause problems, is expressions because the rig is different. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189

After reading all of this I can happily say that I am glad that my wallet will continue to like me because I will not be spending any money on anything 8.1. Not only does this feel like another money grab by daz for those looking for that next level of realism in my opinion, but it seems that they rolled it out without having all the issues fixed. When daz updated Victoria 4 to 4.2 everything was compatable and now that we get 8.1 we get a "should be compable" update where it is questionable if expressions will work and geoshells don't seem to be compatable. In a time where new updates for studio and new sets are getting pushed out with bugs that should have been caught prior to release, I think it is safe to say that I will stick with G3 and 4.12.