Is it worth having a 4k monitor for DAZ Studio?

Comments

• I use two 27" 2560x1440 monitors and that works great, I like two screens better compared to one huge wide, easier to organize everything but that is of course a matter of taste.

Anyway, with any 3D software you can never have too much screen space to work with, and in terms of VRAM, my two monitors use 30MB of VRAM, not much to talk about..

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,611

duckbomb said:

Torquinox said:

I've no doubt 32" Cintiq is outstanding, but it's also very expensive.

I mean... it is... but that wasn't what I was saying.  My point was only that I really did enjoy the ultrawide, but that working on a 32 inch 4K has convinced me to stay there.  I was just talking towards the validity of 4K in my opinion, not saying buy a Cintiq.  I guess I should have left out the details, just trying to be conversational :/ 

It's ok. I understand that. It sounds pretty cool, anyway. That's a lot of real estate for digital painting. yes

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Someone a screenshot of DAZ and an ultrawide 4K monitor? Would be interesting...

• What the heck is a gas operated monitor stand?surprise  Does it have an electric or cord-pull start mechanism?  Can it be used as a snow blower in the winter?  Is it carburated or fuel injected?

• hyteckithyteckit Posts: 167
    edited January 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

What the heck is a gas operated monitor stand?surprise  Does it have an electric or cord-pull start mechanism?  Can it be used as a snow blower in the winter?  Is it carburated or fuel injected?

They are like gas struts for your doors so they easily open and won't just slamp close.  So makes it easier to adjust up and won't easier droop down.

Post edited by hyteckit on
  • martin36martin36 Posts: 166

LeatherGryphon said:

What the heck is a gas operated monitor stand?surprise  Does it have an electric or cord-pull start mechanism?  Can it be used as a snow blower in the winter?  Is it carburated or fuel injected?

There is answer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N1UVTLF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one and is holding my 43" 4K tv perfectly

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,185
    edited January 2021

martin36 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

There is answer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N1UVTLF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool!yes  So, from the "Not Available" tag, can I assume that it is super popular?  Or a sales flop?  Or a victim of the Covid economy?frown  How many arms and legs did it cost?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Lothar Weber said:

Someone a screenshot of DAZ and an ultrawide 4K monitor? Would be interesting...

Also a two monitor setup with the DAZ Studio viewport spread across both. This is my real motivation for either a bigger screen or another 24 or 25 inch.

I'm a little confused now about whether 4K is worth it but I'm inclined to think probably not. 

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,540

I wanted a monitor with a large desktop so I could have a lot of windows open at the same time. I originally purchased a 32 in. HD monitor. (It may have noy beem 4K) (2560X1440 pixels). I had to double the size of Icons & text in order to be able to use it. I returned it and went with a 34 inch lower resolution monitor. (2560 X 1080). It was lower resolution, but physically 1.5 times as wide as the 24 in.

There are several threads about increasing the size of the text in DS and the consensus seems to be "It can't be done."

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58297/is-it-possible-to-increase-the-size-of-the-menu-fonts-in-studio-4-8#latest

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

4K is defnitely worth it, but only if you go big, really big. I'm driving a big, curved tv with an ancient 750ti and the HDMI has no problem up to 60Hz.

I've been clicking the menus and moving the mouse really fast but I havn't been able to reach 60Hz!cheeky

Having a vertical 2160 pixels instead of the paltry 1440, just think of all those lovely parameter sliders you can see without scrolling!

(...and the HDR is ready for when DAZ gets round to implementing ACES rendering and an HDR viewport...)

• martin36martin36 Posts: 166

LeatherGryphon said:

martin36 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

There is answer:

Cool!yes  So, from the "Not Available" tag, can I assume that it is super popular?  Or a sales flop?  Or a victim of the Covid economy?frown  How many arms and legs did it cost?

I paid for my one 145 euros and is really great. Before I got with 2 arms but used only one and wasn't great. This one is perfect, has also usb port built in and headphone microphone jacks. Really usefull

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,239

well, you dont want to be one of those people saying "this looks great" about a character that looks terrible just because you have a bad monitor.

• At work in early 2019 I had a 27" Dell 4K and a 24" Iiyama 1920 x 1080.  The Dell 4K gave me a splitting migraine every day within 2 hours for a month. I had to swap my Dell 4K for another Iiyama in the office. I now rarely get headaches from screens. So.. No 4K for me at the moment. My home PC has a 22" AOC 1960 x 1280 and that is as good as the Iiyama for me.

Regards,

Richard

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Just to make sure we are all on the same page....
    When we are talking about "modern" flat screen monitors (as apposed to the really old CRT boxes)
    We have monitor width and monitor height expressed in pixels.  The pixel number most often expressed is the height/verticle number.
    "Most" of the older monitor we have are:
    1280x720 this is often refered to as simply "HD" or numerically, 720p
    Next up is 
    1280 x 1080 also called FHD (full HD) and numerically it is referred to as 1080

Then we get into the "newer" stuff which is where you should probably be heading 
    2560 x 1440 - Called QHD- Quad HD and 1440p

then
    3840 x 2160 - UHD or what everyone calls "4K" 2160p

Just peaking its head into the conversation now is
    ​7680 x 4320 - FUHD Full Ultra HD or "8K" 3420

It might be benefitial to google info on resolution and pixel density so you know what you are getting before you get it.  Not all "bigger, wider" monitors have higher resolutions either... that is why the height pixel resolution is important because no matter how wide a monitor is, if its height pixels are 1080, its still a FHD monitor (or maybe a WFHD?)

As I said in an earlier post, for me, my sweet spot was 2k/QHD/1440 because of my use case. Figure out what you need you monitor for and plan/buy.

The gas operated/assisted stands are nice as they make the monitor easy to put... exactly... where... you... want... them.  Which helps out a lot if you go for a bigger monitor as 32" and wider do take a lot of desk space up.

Latly, I am 53 and tranistioned to bi-focals about 10 years ago.  I have progressive lenses now, which are good for close up reading and far away driving stuff.  There is just a tiny band of usuable "monitor distance" glass though... so I found my head bobbing and weaving to view my monitors where I could see them (new and old monitors).

I finally decided to get a perscription for "computer glasses" and that has worked out tremedously.  Now my "whole glass" can be used to see both 32" screens as I scan side to side etc. 

Highly recommended. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,503

Chumly said:

Just to make sure we are all on the same page....
    When we are talking about "modern" flat screen monitors (as apposed to the really old CRT boxes)
    We have monitor width and monitor height expressed in pixels.  The pixel number most often expressed is the height/verticle number.
    "Most" of the older monitor we have are:
    1280x720 this is often refered to as simply "HD" or numerically, 720p
    Next up is 
    1280 x 1080 also called FHD (full HD) and numerically it is referred to as 1080

Then we get into the "newer" stuff which is where you should probably be heading 
    2560 x 1440 - Called QHD- Quad HD and 1440p

then
    3840 x 2160 - UHD or what everyone calls "4K" 2160p

Just peaking its head into the conversation now is
    ​7680 x 4320 - FUHD Full Ultra HD or "8K" 3420

It might be benefitial to google info on resolution and pixel density so you know what you are getting before you get it.  Not all "bigger, wider" monitors have higher resolutions either... that is why the height pixel resolution is important because no matter how wide a monitor is, if its height pixels are 1080, its still a FHD monitor (or maybe a WFHD?)

As I said in an earlier post, for me, my sweet spot was 2k/QHD/1440 because of my use case. Figure out what you need you monitor for and plan/buy.

The gas operated/assisted stands are nice as they make the monitor easy to put... exactly... where... you... want... them.  Which helps out a lot if you go for a bigger monitor as 32" and wider do take a lot of desk space up.

Latly, I am 53 and tranistioned to bi-focals about 10 years ago.  I have progressive lenses now, which are good for close up reading and far away driving stuff.  There is just a tiny band of usuable "monitor distance" glass though... so I found my head bobbing and weaving to view my monitors where I could see them (new and old monitors).

I finally decided to get a perscription for "computer glasses" and that has worked out tremedously.  Now my "whole glass" can be used to see both 32" screens as I scan side to side etc. 

Highly recommended. 

There's also 1920x1200px

• Attached are a couple of screen captures from my monitor. It's a 32 inch Samsung 3840 x 2160 UHD.

The images are at full screen resolution. The width is a little smaller than 3840 because I keep my toolbar on the side.

This is the lay out I use so that I don't need to lean forward to see detail. I figured that the Smart Content and Parameter panes were the most interesting to see.

Monitor-SmartContent.jpg
    3701 x 2160 - 776K
    Monitor-Parameters.jpg
    3701 x 2160 - 627K
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I have a 32 inch 4 K monitor and love it.

With my previous 27 inch monitor, I thought I needed new glasses, but since I have the 32 inches 4 K one, I am fine and can read and work so much better and do not feel strain on my eyes.

• Same situation here, Petra. I had a mound of "readers" on my desk, but figured something else needed to be done.

I have the 32 UHD directly in front of me. I use it for most of the work tasks.

I am lucky enough to have a second 32 QHD that I have mounted to the right. I use that for the tertiary windows; DIM, a notepad for quick notes, browser, a previous render for reference, etc.

It works out really well. Much less leaning forward and only the occasional use of the readers.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Jason Galterio said:

Same situation here, Petra. I had a mound of "readers" on my desk, but figured something else needed to be done.

I have the 32 UHD directly in front of me. I use it for most of the work tasks.

I am lucky enough to have a second 32 QHD that I have mounted to the right. I use that for the tertiary windows; DIM, a notepad for quick notes, browser, a previous render for reference, etc.

It works out really well. Much less leaning forward and only the occasional use of the readers.

That is great :) I never thought it would be such a difference, but it sure is. 

• hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited January 2021

I own three 27" monitors. One is 4K (UHD), the next is 2K (QHD), and third is 1080p (FHD). At that size, with a ratio of 16:9, 2K is the best size. Even at that size I scale the display up by 25% because I use several programs that were not specifically written for the Windows 10 UI and therefore text and icons can be tiny.

If you want an ultra wide screen I would get 3840x1600 (38" curved) or something with 1440 vertical resolution which is less than 40" wide. Less than forty inches because your active/focused vision width is less than that at under 30" viewing distance. Peripheral vision is not all that helpful when you are trying to keep the entire screen in focus.

Post edited by hjake on
    edited January 2021

Continuing discussions have made me rethink my 24", HD, 1080 decision and I'm now leaning toward a 27", 2K 1440 monitor.  This one specifically (for now)

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012018?Item=N82E16824012018&Description=monitors&cm_re=monitors-_-24-012-018-_-Product&quicklink=true

I really can't justify the expense, but it fits my requirements and more importanly my desires.wink  And... it's on sale.yes  I'm probably just pipe dreaming but I like the adjustable height mechanism (I already have a monitor with a similar height mechanism and I love it.  The reviews are not too critical.  I'm not a gamer so it's more than I need in refresh frequency but that comes with the package.

32" is too big for my primary work area and short viewing distance.  27" will fill my primary space nicely and I can move my existing 24" into the cubbyhole on my left replacing the 19" that's there.  But to get full advantage of this marvelous new 2K monitor I'd have to buy at least a 2-port KVM switch to be able to use it easily for both of my image processing machines.  But the best feature of all is it's feng shui and IF (Impress Factor) "Ooh, nice lab design, harmonic proportions, fancy."devil All my ducks are in a row except for my bank account.indecision

Any comments?

• Can't comment on the brand. I've heard of them and I think I've own GPUs with their brand on them...  but don't recall encountering any monitors of theirs.

That being said, I haven't heard anything bad about them either. So that's saying something too.

I don't want to be "that guy" but...  I know you said 32 is too big, but there seems to be an odd quirk of the pricing where the 27 and 32 prices are close.

It might be something to do with the manufacturing costs or a higher demand on 32 inch monitors. Not saying one is better than the other, just that it might not hurt to take a look.

edited January 2021

Well, I'm rethinking that monitor.sad  I found the same monitor at Amazon for the same price.  But when I looked at the bottom end reviews there were too many really bad horror stories.surprise  Between the short warrantee period, reluctant customer service, the apparently poor manufacturing quality control, and the many DO NOT BUY warnings, I think I'll pass on that particular monitor.sad

• I had 4K on 27", it was great, but the fonts were too small on some apps.  I just switched to 3440x1440 and have been happy with extra horizontal space.  4K on 32" should be great, though.

• nakamuram002 said:

I had 4K on 27", it was great, but the fonts were too small on some apps.  I just switched to 3440x1440 and have been happy with extra horizontal space.  4K on 32" should be great, though.

Agreed. I have my font size set at 150%, but that doesn't work on all programs.

I've had Dell monitors, would not recommend. Over priced and generally fuzzy display.

Ranking from least to best, I currently use an ASUS, a Sceptre, and a Samsung. That doesn't mean the ASUS is bad, just pales in comparison to the other two. All personal subjective, so your mileage may vary.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Jason Galterio said:

nakamuram002 said:

I had 4K on 27", it was great, but the fonts were too small on some apps.  I just switched to 3440x1440 and have been happy with extra horizontal space.  4K on 32" should be great, though.

Agreed. I have my font size set at 150%, but that doesn't work on all programs.

I've had Dell monitors, would not recommend. Over priced and generally fuzzy display.

Ranking from least to best, I currently use an ASUS, a Sceptre, and a Samsung. That doesn't mean the ASUS is bad, just pales in comparison to the other two. All personal subjective, so your mileage may vary.

Indeed YMMV. I have a Dell 25 inch (U2515H) which is excellent (to my eyes, at least). It is clear and sharp and the colours and contrast are very good. And that's coming from someone who is not a fan of Dell as a company, being an ex-HP employee for many years. My Dell screen is 5 years old and still looks better than my son's new Samsung 27 inch. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

...both of mine are ASUS and the 6 year old one still is crisp and clean with no dead pixels. Both were easy to calibrate for the same image quality between them. 

Available desk surface and work area and configuration is a limitation on how big one can go, but so is distance between the box and monitors.  Most cables supplied are 6' ib length, but for the right display I need a 10' one so it I can run it behind the speaker system and left monitor instead of in front as the box is on a cube table in the corner between the two desks  (don't like having the computer on the floor as with my bad joints that makes it hard to get to for servicing & cleaning, and it is more prone to dust contamination whioch means getting under the desk on hands and knees more frequently).  

edited January 2021

I'm still shopping.  I'm now considering one of these two:

1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FF3F5HR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08448J4G5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I like #1 for price.   But it only has two inputs.  And it's curved, I'm not convinced curved is required.

I like #2 because it has three inputs (desirable for my layout).  Liked also for the adjustable height, and it's HP.  Same model line as my other adjustable height monitor, and I like the image and quality that I've observed in it, so far (1 year).  But it's $60 more than #1

• I said it on another thread... HDMI extension cables. Worth every penny. Will make up for having only two ports.

The price on the curved monitor seems kind of low. I would be looking to see what the negatives were on it before making the investment.

Otherwise, they both look like good buys.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983

lilweep said:

well, you dont want to be one of those people saying "this looks great" about a character that looks terrible just because you have a bad monitor.

That is the big thing here, folks go on about big monitors or large resolutions.. While those are good and all the one thing folks forget more so if doing artwork, is colour reproduction which is just as important as screen size..