Problem with Stray Hairs Pixelating

Hello!

I've noticed this happening here and there but now, I've been able to replicate it (unfortunately).

I'm working with the WF Matilda Hair for Genesis 8 (https://www.daz3d.com/matilda-hair-for-genesis-8-females), though I've had it happen with Rose Hair from OOT (https://www.daz3d.com/rose-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females).

As you can see from the screen shots, the black hair is fine. That was my first render. I then changed the color to white and ran it again. This came up with the stray hair problem that you see. At first, this was happening on a scene I'd been working on. I added a character to it and then the hair. I got the pixelated hair. Then, I rebooted, started a brand new scene, and I got the Black Hair results in the screen shot. Rebooting Daz does not fix it. You have to start a brand new scene in order to get a proper render. 

I've also included the Rose hair problem. While you can't see it on the edges, you can tell that the hair in front of the mainbody of hair is pixelated too.

Other factors:

1) I'm using OOT Dramatic Lights (OOT Drama Light 02) However, I turned them off and it actually becomes worse. 

2) I'm using the default HDRI. I just tested this with Sun/Sky only and it continues to have the problem.

I didn't see anything stick out in the log files.

And that's all I've got. Any thoughts?

Failure.jpg
311 x 409 - 144K
Success.jpg
311 x 409 - 85K
Rose Failure.jpg
782 x 501 - 511K

Comments

• I switched drivers to the Studio Driver from the Gaming Driver (the gaming driver is currently newer). That did not resolve the problem.

• What version of DS? There seem to be opacity oddities being reported with the first general release of 4.15. This has been reported with hair, leaves in UltraScenery and volumetric lighting blocks. They all look to me to be related, but whether the problem is in DS, the version of iRay used or just the way the two talk with each other in DS4.15 hasn't been resolved.

Regards,

Richard.

• richardandtracy said:

What version of DS? There seem to be opacity oddities being reported with the first general release of 4.15. This has been reported with hair, leaves in UltraScenery and volumetric lighting blocks. They all look to me to be related, but whether the problem is in DS, the version of iRay used or just the way the two talk with each other in DS4.15 hasn't been resolved.

Regards,

Richard.

It's 4.15.02

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Hmm, I am using 4.15.02 and have not yet encountered this problem, I will keep an eye on it, thank you for the screenshots :)

• I happened to have 4.14 still installed on my computer. Lucked out. That works fine. I'll just stick with that until they release a patch.

• I've been having this problem as well. Same version of DS and up-to-date Nvidia drivers.

• Same issue here. Thought it was just noise or something and let a render go overnight. The rest of the hair looks amazing while the flyaways have these nasty dots all over them.

badhair.png
    1440 x 616 - 3M
  • I found a work around while waiting on a response from support. Set your cutout opacity to 0.99. 

• Thanks, man! How did you find this solution? It took me literally days and countless hours trying to solve this issue. Why would this cause such a weird problem? For newcomers with the same issue, here is the screenshot.

devinblk7 said:

I found a work around while waiting on a response from support. Set your cutout opacity to 0.99. 

You can actually choose all these highlighted materials and change their cutout opacity all at once to anything under 1. That will solve all the problems.

• Thank you for this. I've been banging my head against a wall for a week trying to fix this problem.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

Great solution. Thank you.