Content Manager Service Stops

edited July 2012 in The Commons

After working without issue for several months, the CMS has developed a fault. A few days ago I scanned known directories for new files. The scan was followed by the removal of ALL CONTENT from the library. I checked and the CMS had stopped (Win 7/64). I restarted the CMS--restarted Daz ... all the content was still there but when I attempt to add anything to a scene or attempt any menu commands from the library menu the CMS again stops. At this point there is no way to add new content. The only solution I've seen applied to DS3 and it said I'd need to blank the content Database then reinstall Daz and start all over. Please tell me with over 100 Gig of installed content, THAT is not the solution.

thanks for any ideas

DS4 Pro on Win 7/64

Post edited by lancelmartin_cf51987037 on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Learn to organize your content on your hard drive rather than relying on a crappy database and you wont have this problem.

• edited December 1969

LOL.... in other words .... Don't use DAZ Studio ... funny but that may be the only alternative.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,578
    edited December 1969

Do you have custom categories? If not, you can uninstall and reinstall DS4 and the CMS -- you don't need to reinstall your content. Make sure you uninstall the CMS -- it doesn't get uninstalled when you uninstall DS4.

What security programs do you use? It may be that a recent update is causing it to shut down the CMS.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited July 2012

The CMS is, in fact, a sub-version of an SQL database. It's not nearly the inefficient creature that its roots used to be (e.g., flat file database).

First thing to do is to to backup your database.
    To do so:
    - Stop the CMS (control panel > admin tools > services > right-click on DAZ Content Management Service) and select stop.
    - Copy all the files in the databases directory of where you installed the CMS to another location.
    - Restart the CMS (right-click, start)

Next run the database maintenance routines. To do so, ensure that the CMS is functioning.
    Launch DS4.
    On the Content Tab, go the context menu at the upper-corner and select "Content DB Maintenance".
    From there, check the following options:
    - Remove Un-Mapped Base Paths and Orphans
    - Remove Orphaned File References
    - Consolidate File References
    - Condense Database

That should perform a fairly thorough "cleanup" of the CMS. If that still doesn't fix the problem, then stop the CMS again, zip up a copy of your databases directory and file a bug report. They should be able to find the problem.

ETA: As Mike suggests, having the most recent version of the CMS is also a good idea. Removing and reinstalling it won't erase your categories either (unless you manually delete the database).

Post edited by adamr001 on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply. Yes I pretty much use only custom categories. In terms of security, I've been running AVAST (mostly because it's got a cool pirate voice that says 'aaargh') for almost a year with no issues ... but you're right it may be an update. I'll try uninstalling AVAST and then see how the CMS behaves.

Thanks for the tip

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

lm10001 said:
    LOL.... in other words .... Don't use DAZ Studio ... funny but that may be the only alternative.

It's perfectly possible to use Studio with the content manager disabled, a lot of us do (or have content manager running but never touch Smart Content), but I don't think that's a solution for someone who is actually happy with Smart Content.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    I don't think that's a solution for someone who is actually happy with Smart Content.
    Or those who use categories, or the tutorials...
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

You could also check your Windows Event viewer to see if there is any information that could be usefull to know what stops your CMS

• edited December 1969

adamr

received this response today:
    "
    Please try this article:
    How to Remove DAZ Studio 4 and the CMS (PC)
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20779763-how-to-remove-daz-studio-4-and-cms-pc

Let me know if this issue has not been resolved or if you have other questions. "

I was under the impression that a cms.db scan could be done and if possible I'd really like to fix the current db file instead of just deleting everything and completely starting over. But I appear to have been shuffled off to an article on how to press the delete button.

I tried opening a bug tracker but it wasn't generating any confirmation emails and looks to have been disabled for DS4.

I'd appreciate any other ideas you might have.

Thanks

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited December 1969

...the more I hear about issues like this, the more reluctant I feel to use Studio4.