DAZ studio 4.15.0.2 ignores my directory

I saw that the normal (presumably more stable and reliable) version of DAZ Studio 4.15.0.2 has the same build number as the Public Build (the beta version), ie 4.15.0.2

So, thinks I, it must be at least as good as the Public build with fewer problems.

Well that just goes to show that you shouldn't assume anything!

First problem: After installing the new version of 4.15.0.2, I found that it lost an entire directory.

Now, I can understand that as its a new installation it may not necessarily know where all my directories are, but I would have thought that the devs would have thought about including a popup in the installation process to ask if there were any other directories that should be recognised.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

IsaacNewton said:

I saw that the normal (presumably more stable and reliable) version of DAZ Studio 4.15.0.2 has the same build number as the Public Build (the beta version), ie 4.15.0.2

So, thinks I, it must be at least as good as the Public build with fewer problems.

Well that just goes to show that you shouldn't assume anything!

First problem: After installing the new version of 4.15.0.2, I found that it lost an entire directory.

Now, I can understand that as its a new installation it may not necessarily know where all my directories are, but I would have thought that the devs would have thought about including a popup in the installation process to ask if there were any other directories that should be recognised.

Has anyone else had this problem?

How did you install?

Manual installation has never had any problems finding my non-standard installation locations and/or my equally non-standard content directories. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The General Release and Pubic Beta are the same.

When you say a new installation, do you mean you didn't have an earlier version installed?  If you're updating an existing version the settings should be unchanged.

In, DS, can you go to F2 > Content > Content Directory Manager, expand all 4 sections, and post a screenshot?

Did you install using Dim, DazCentral, or a standalone installer?  Was the previous version installed using the same method?

• In fact the devs have provided a solution is you want to sync the Public Build and the reelase Build - use the script from https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696 and you can tell it to copy the app settings from the beta (among other options).

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited January 2021

@ PerttiA . DIM, I always use DIM to install.

@Fixmypcmike . I had the Public Build installed already. I noticed that the released build had the same number so I used DIM to install that, so presumably I have two identical versions now. With the exception that the new (released build) does not see my main directory (that is MY main directory not the DAZ one).

@Richard . Thanks for that Richard. Would that be the attachment Launch Instance.dse? If not then I can't see it. Anyway, this is precisely the kind of thing that makes me want to bang their heads together! Despite me being a very peaceful person normally :) If the Devs have realised the issue exists AND have gone to the effort of writing a script to deal with it, then why on earth could they not make it part of the installation process, instead of slipping it in to a forum thread, which quite frankly they must realise that few people will read? They go to a lot of effort the make DS user friendly, so why not go the extra ... couple of yards?

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • IsaacNewton said:

@ PerttiA . DIM, I always use DIM to install.

@Fixmypcmike . I had the Public Build installed already. I noticed that the released build had the same number so I used DIM to install that, so presumably I have two identical versions now. With the exception that the new (released build) does not see my main directory (that is MY main directory not the DAZ one).

@Richard . Thanks for that Richard. Would that be the attachment Launch Instance.dse? If not then I can't see it. Anyway, this is precisely the kind of thing that makes me want to bang their heads together! Despite me being a very peaceful person normally :) If the Devs have realised the issue exists AND have gone to the effort of writing a script to deal with it, then why on earth could they not make it part of the installation process, instead of slipping it in to a forum thread, which quite frankly they must realise that few people will read? They go to a lot of effort the make DS user friendly, so why not go the extra ... couple of yards?

Bear in mind that the beta is just that - it's a test version, and is intended to eb kept separate from the general release 9indeed, there may be times when it will have settings the General release lacks, or vice versa, in whichc ase copying settings might be problematic). We have the option to import, and the tool to help with the task, as a courtesy (and as a personal endeavour of one of the devs) - it isn't going to be made avaialble as a simple option on install because of the risk that less experienced users might select it and cause issues.